Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New highwayman

HighandDry

A-List Customer
Funny, I recently got a Stuart in FQHH oil pull and I find it to be about the same thickness as my other FQHH jacket.

Also my oil pull is super soft and developing creasing right away. It took my other FQHH jackets a year to start to feel this soft.

Lungomare

A-List Customer
Funny, I recently got a Stuart in FQHH oil pull and I find it to be about the same thickness as my other FQHH jacket.

Also my oil pull is super soft and developing creasing right away. It took my other FQHH jackets a year to start to feel this soft.

A little bit confusing, isn't it? Amanda recently told me that the oilpull is always a mid weight hide, and that there doesn't exist a FQ oilpull. So of course the oilpull normally isn't as thick as the regular FQ HH.

:confused: regards,

Johannes

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Standard length for a HWM is 25" for a size 40 and 25.5" for a size 42. So 24" probably would be the standard length for a 36. If you have a short torso it shouldn't be a problem if it's a tad shorter. I think it looks good on you. And you can always don high waisted trousers to make up for it. (... waiting for Seb to tell me that jackets with 3" extra are much nicer and we don't live in the 30s anymore, so no high waisted trousers, thank you ...) ;)

Lungomare

A-List Customer
Of note the length ended up almost an inch short of my requested 24". I think at this length it is probably closer to how it should fit. I have only adorned the jacket (because of both lack of need and I'm a bit leery of the shorter length) for these photographs, so I need some opinions on the length.

In my opinion your HWM is too short! Add 2" and it is perfect. Mind the look, if you layer the jacket (how I do it with a sweater or fleece jacket in autumn) - then the jacket may look a little strange.

Beside this the too short jacket "destroys" the proportion of your body, esp. the proportion between torso- and leg-length.

I'd order a remake with the length you wanted first, when you placed the order - maybe plus an extra inch longer.

Kind regards,

Johannes

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Standard length for a HWM is 25" for a size 40 and 25.5" for a size 42. So 24" probably would be the standard length for a 36. If you have a short torso it shouldn't be a problem if it's a tad shorter. I think it looks good on you. And you can always don high waisted trousers to make up for it. (... waiting for Seb to tell me that jackets with 3" extra are much nicer and we don't live in the 30s anymore, so no high waisted trousers, thank you ...) ;)

Rudie, you're so right. Very funny. And, of course I respect different views to mine. But I can't help liking the longer jacket.

HorseHide

One of the Regulars
Add my vote to the "too short" crowd. While the Highwayman is a short jacket, the "spec" version is just too short for my tastes (btw, I ordered a beautiful sz 38 with an extra inch that I had to send back for the very same reason; they were going to talk with the cutter to see what happened on my order - evidently the conversation hasn't happened yet).

I did pick up a used Highwayman from Aero that has an extra 2 inches and it is outstanding - it may no longer be a conventional Highwayman but I think it is perfect. If I order another, it will always be with the added length now. And though it's difficult to determine (with any precision) from your pictures whether you need an extra inch, an extra two inches or more, I'd say any extra length is going to improve the look of the jacket.

cloudylemonade

A-List Customer
I think it looks great, no need to send it back to us if you're happy with the fit. As we've explained on a new page on the Aero site, it's very hard for us to guarantee exact measurements, and anything in the region of a ½" difference from a request has to be allowed for due to the difficulty in working with such heavy materials. Have a nosey over at http://aeroleatherclothing.com/custom.php for more explanations.

Glad you're pleased with it!

Holly

HighandDry

A-List Customer
A little bit confusing, isn't it? Amanda recently told me that the oilpull is always a mid weight hide, and that there doesn't exist a FQ oilpull. So of course the oilpull normally isn't as thick as the regular FQ HH.

:confused: regards,

Johannes

On my oilpull, the label inside says, "Genuine Front Quarter Horse" and the weight/feel of the jacket certainly feels that way.

Oldcrow, my GW A2 was very short and I remember thinking the very first time I put it on that the length was not completely on. However, I really liked the jacket and tried to convince myself that it was fine. In the end (with prodding by Butte), I contacted John and he re-made the jacket with 2" more length, which definitely made the jacket better fitting.

Not saying you should return it, but if it's bothering you now, it'll bother you later ;) I do think that the overall fit is better than your original and I also think that the HWM looks better with the standard shorter length.

too much coffee

Practically Family
I hate whining over an inch, otherwise it's perfect. I generally don't tuck in my shirts which is why I shot the pictures that way. I can say there is a sliver of belt buckel showing underneath my zipped up jacket. The sleeve length is perfect.
I'll try and shoot a few pictures with a shirt tucked in. I can say its quite comfortable driving with a jacket that short, and I wouldnt want it any longer than an inch.
The jeans are regular 'ol Levis 501's.
I wasn't talking to Scott, my fellow Californian and I are a bit more relaxed than some here I guess.

I am very relaxed...........how relaxed are you with the fit? You were the one soliciting "need opinions on the length" and the question "what do y'all think?"

I'd like to think that Scott got it and knows I was just throwing in some levity about the untucked shirt.

coffee out

Last edited:

Lungomare

A-List Customer
HorseHide;1463295 ... btw said:
I know what you are talking about - the same happened to me with two jackets. I got apologies - and new jackets with the correct sizing.

Seems to happen quite often, and Aero seems to be able to afford to do a lot of remakes instead of paying attention to orders :)

Lungomare

A-List Customer
As we've explained on a new page on the Aero site, it's very hard for us to guarantee exact measurements, and anything in the region of a ½" difference from a request has to be allowed for due to the difficulty in working with such heavy materials. Have a nosey over at http://aeroleatherclothing.com/custom.php for more explanations ... Holly

0.5" would never be a problem, of course. What I am talking about are deviances of more than 1", which is unacceptable! Concerning my last A-2 the pit2pit of the size I ordered was said to be 22.5" and I got a jacket with 23.7". The remake had exactly 22.5" - so it seems to be possible ...

I assume that Aero hasn't got patterns for the different contracts and sizes, and the cutter has to improvise (Cave! This is a challenge test to find out why so many customers need a remake).

Kind regards,

Johannes

Lungomare

A-List Customer
On my oilpull, the label inside says, "Genuine Front Quarter Horse" and the weight/feel of the jacket certainly feels that way.

My oilpull definitely does not - no label saying "Genuine Front Quarter Horse". So there must be two kinds of oilpull at Aero's - a midweight hide and a FQ hide ...

oldcrow82

One of the Regulars
I do welcome questions and comments, and appreciate the kind words from fellow loungers.
My post was quite long with lots of details and I lost the moral I was trying convey. In the end my triumph o'er this very rotten situation was the documentation I kept and my use of a credit card. Not a bank card with a visa or MC logo, but a bonafide credit card (I can only speak to USA laws). Credit cards offer much more protection than do any other forms of payments. I have been told this in the past and luckily I used that advice. I haven't had to pursue a claim like this before, other than time and the initial heartache, I'm quite surprised as to how easily the situation was resolved.
I must give credit where credit is due, and I can't help wonder if Aero wasn't as forth coming as willing to help, if I would have received a refund. Again thanks to Amanda and holly at Aero. Everyone here already knows this, future readers of this thread; I can't recommend Aero more highly!

Post Script: and use a credit card!

Edward

Bartender
My oilpull definitely does not - no label saying "Genuine Front Quarter Horse". So there must be two kinds of oilpull at Aero's - a midweight hide and a FQ hide ...

Of course, horsehide being an organic material it would be somewhat surprising if there was not some variance between batches. That said, it would seem likely that there is both a mid and a heavy weight option, as what makes it "oil pull", if I understand correctly, is the tanning process rather than the base material. No reason why both weights of hide can't be treated that way. This is assuming the tannery from which Aero source their hides treats both mid and FQ horse that way. Not all permutations are available, as I discovered when I emailed Amanda regarding the availability of goat in black (also, not an option).

My 50's HBD is oil-pull, and has the FQHH label. It's heavy - as heavy as the previous Aero HG-5 in brown FQHH. The finish was different, and it has a more red tone to it. I love it, but it's not good for warmer weather with the Tartan inside and all...
Lovely hide. Makes a killer jacket that will last forever, but also takes some effort to break :)

Lungomare

A-List Customer
Of course, horsehide being an organic material it would be somewhat surprising if there was not some variance between batches. That said, it would seem likely that there is both a mid and a heavy weight option, as what makes it "oil pull", if I understand correctly, is the tanning process rather than the base material. No reason why both weights of hide can't be treated that way. This is assuming the tannery from which Aero source their hides treats both mid and FQ horse that way. Not all permutations are available, as I discovered when I emailed Amanda regarding the availability of goat in black (also, not an option).

Literally quotation:

"Hello Amanda!

Just two more questions:

1. Am I right that there is only one Oilpull and this is a Front Quarter Hide?"

(...)

Answer:

"There is only one oil pull and its mid weight horsehidem it isn’t f/q horsehide."

(unquote)

I didn't make my jacket. I ordered, paid and opened the box. If it's not what the label says, then I don't know what to tell you...It doesn't fscking matter, to use a UNIX term...or I could just sue Aero lol

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails