Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Jacket from Johnson Leathers

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Vespizzare, you have picked up a couple of dynamite jackets in rapid sequence of which anyone would be proud to own. The primary issue though is fit, which would appear that you have nailed as well as anyone on any thread. When one is on a roll like you are, it is impossible to stop. So, what is next??

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
It's funny you asked. I am planning on getting one more, but will probably wait a month to let the dust settle. Also that way a nice package will arrive at my job a few weeks after I come back from a sabbatical, proving that life is worth living.

What both jackets have in common is "hands on fitting," not going by measurements. I tried on a smaller size at JL and a size 38 A2 that LW had sent me as a test before I exchanged it for a 40.

I want a really warm jacket to wear on the bike and also off when it's just plain cold. I'm leaning toward a Highway Patrol type with a shearling lining and an all around belt to seal the bottom. I also "have a notion" to go with a shearling-lined Highwayman; but I don't like the wait, the VAT, or working off measurements. At least with JL and LW, they have a history of "nailing my fit," so I won't be opening the box as a prisoner of doubt. And I like the warmth being part of a jacket that fits when I put it on, as opposed to having something too large size hanging in my closet with the idea that I'll be wearing stuff underneath.

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
It's funny you asked. I am planning on getting one more, but will probably wait a month to let the dust settle. Also that way a nice package will arrive at my job a few weeks after I come back from a sabbatical, proving that life is worth living.

What both jackets have in common is "hands on fitting," not going by measurements. I tried on a smaller size at JL and a size 38 A2 that LW had sent me as a test before I exchanged it for a 40.

I want a really warm jacket to wear on the bike and also off when it's just plain cold. I'm leaning toward a Highway Patrol type with a shearling lining and an all around belt to seal the bottom. I also "have a notion" to go with a shearling-lined Highwayman; but I don't like the wait, the VAT, or working off measurements. At least with JL and LW, they have a history of "nailing my fit," so I won't be opening the box as a prisoner of doubt. And I like the warmth being part of a jacket that's my size, as opposed to having something in a too large size hanging in my closet with the idea that I'll be wearing stuff underneath.

The URL below is from a friend of mine who lives in E. Tennessee and told me that his LW jackets are his favorites for riding. You might PM him for additional input, but I can tell you that he swears by LW jackets on and off his bike.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?68039-Got-to-share-a-little-LW-love

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
Thank YOU too. I don't know if you'll come back and see this but I researched some of your jackets and in a string from last April or May I saw my avatar next to a long forgotten comment from me saying, "I didn't know from their website that I could get that from Johnson Leathers." So you helped me a lot too.

Nice. Other members here had a similar influence on me, so in this case I guess what goes around comes around in a good way. I haven't asked Alan about the new website recently, but like others, I'm looking forward to seeing their products showcased in a more effective manner. In the meantime photos such as yours help to spread the word. Someday down the road, I hope to be back in touch with JL, not about their jackets, but about their Forcefield Body Armour to go underneath my Langlitz riding jacket

JLStorm

Practically Family
Thank YOU too. I don't know if you'll come back and see this but I researched some of your jackets and in a string from last April or May I saw my avatar next to a long forgotten comment from me saying, "I didn't know from their website that I could get that from Johnson Leathers." So you helped me a lot too.

Glad my comments helped you out a bit. Like most others, I learned about JL from this forum and wouldnt have known about them otherwise so its nice to know I've returned the favor. As I've said elsewhere before, Alan gets really excited about the custom work which was a very nice change from dealing with other vendors who just tolerate requests that are out of the norm. Dealing with Alan has just been an absolute pleasure. My jacket has been about been almost 7 months in the making and through it all Alan has kept me updated and in the loop. I really can't say enough great things about him. I'll be able to critique the final product in the next week or so, but other than some minor tweaks to the fit that may or may not be required, I have no doubt that JL will nail everything on the first attempt.

BTW, I responded to your PM and included some more info. Hope it helps.

Fifty150

One Too Many
I am planning on getting one more, but will probably wait a month to let the dust settle.

Well, if you take that Vespa back up the I5 or 101 next month, then consider checking out Golden Bear Sportswear on Potrero. The contracts for supply of police issued motorcycle jackets goes back and forth between Golden Bear & Johnson. I've seen jackets from both and they are both good jackets. My agency issued jacket was from Golden Bear, and it's probably one of my favorite jackets. When I went, they started out with several "fitting" jackets, then took measurements, and the final product was actually a "one of" jacket made for me.

You have to imagine that for police officers, none of them have the same bodies. So every jacket has to be a one of a kind, custom made product. I had to bring in all my gear so that they could build the jacket around my body armor, and place the belt keepers where I wanted them (since everybody's gun belt has different things in different places).

Just like with Johnson, there are a bunch of lower priced jackets also. But if you communicate with them that you want a custom made jacket just like the police officers get, then they should be able to make one for you too. Not that the off the rack stuff is really all that bad, but just like a suit, you want your motorcycle jacket to fit.

And while you're in The City, check out Mr. S. Most of what they make is marketed to the fetish community. But those folks are often very picky when it comes to the quality of their leather. I have seen their motorcycle jackets and was very impressed. Leather fetish people ride bikes too, and just like you, they want to have the best. Now if while you're there, you pick up some leather shorts, or some sort of other leather recreational lounge wear, it's nobody's business but yours. And we would prefer that you do not post those pics....:eeek:
L207b.jpg
l204_1.jpg
l204_2.jpg
l202-12.jpg
L208b.jpg

Worf

I'll Lock Up
If I may interject... this is a very nice thread and I've learned a great deal about some custom Jacket makers I'd not heard of. But one thing confuses me... this "City" you keep referring to... In all my years on the internet there's only ONE "The City" that I've seen consistently referred to in movie, song and print... and that City is on the East Coast and goes by many a different name... but San Francisco ain't one of em! :D

Worf

Jaguar66

A-List Customer
"The City" is short for The City by the Bay, which is San Francisco. Not to say it can't mean another city.

Also, this song refers to San Francisco

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_Built_This_City

If you google "The City", this article in wikipedia pops up

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_City

London, San Francisco, Manhattan, and Rome have been referred to as "The City"

The current TV series, The City is set in New York City

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_City_(MTV_series)

Just a different perspective. Thats all, folks.

Last edited:

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
If I may interject... this is a very nice thread and I've learned a great deal about some custom Jacket makers I'd not heard of. But one thing confuses me... this "City" you keep referring to... In all my years on the internet there's only ONE "The City" that I've seen consistently referred to in movie, song and print... and that City is on the East Coast and goes by many a different name... but San Francisco ain't one of em! :D

Worf

The-City-Curry-Gold.jpg

JLStorm

Practically Family
Well, if you take that Vespa back up the I5 or 101 next month, then consider checking out Golden Bear Sportswear on Potrero. The contracts for supply of police issued motorcycle jackets goes back and forth between Golden Bear & Johnson. I've seen jackets from both and they are both good jackets. My agency issued jacket was from Golden Bear, and it's probably one of my favorite jackets. When I went, they started out with several "fitting" jackets, then took measurements, and the final product was actually a "one of" jacket made for me.

LOL! I read your post and I kept thinking to myself "Golden Bear...Golden Bear" that name sounds so familiar but I couldn't place it. I got the smallest inkling that I had a jacket with a tag that had the name bear on it and was made in CA. I went rummaging through my coat closet and sure enough, I found a varsity style jacket that the Revo sunglasses company gave me for selling a bunch of their glasses during a summer job in my teens, probably 20+ years ago. I tag says Golden Bear and made in California, U.S.A. I love that jacket and had long forgotten about it. I practically lived in it for years. A nice black on black and the leather sleeves are tough but flexible. Still no holes in the pockets or liner. I'm sure its not their best hide, but man did holding that jacket again bring back some fond memories! Thanks for the trip down memory lane :) I'll have to start wearing it again.

Fifty150

One Too Many

Worf

When I was back on The East Coast, everybody in NYC called Manhattan "The City".

But out here on The Left Coast, "The City" is San Francisco.

I guess you have to live here to know that.

Sort of like the difference between "hue - ston" and "house - ton".

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Okay... I guess you folks on the other side of Continental Divide can have a "City" all your own (philistines). I followed that link to the MR. S website. :eeek:!!!! There are things a man of my advanced age ain't supposed to see!!!! LOL! Actually some of the Jackets are quite nice. I wouldn't mind one of the Leather Jean Jackets personally and the price ain't bad neither. Thanks for sharing, now if I can just get all the vision back in my left eye I'll be jake.

Worf

Peacoat

Bartender
Okay... I guess you folks on the other side of Continental Divide can have a "City" all your own (philistines). I followed that link to the MR. S website. :eeek:!!!! There are things a man of my advanced age ain't supposed to see!!!! LOL! Actually some of the Jackets are quite nice. I wouldn't mind one of the Leather Jean Jackets personally and the price ain't bad neither. Thanks for sharing, now if I can just get all the vision back in my left eye I'll be jake.

Worf

Agreed as to the City (Manhattan) and the Mr. S website, although I have known some drummers who would have liked it.

I was afraid to go past the first page to see the jackets. My wife was in the same room, and it could have been ugly if she had seen the screen. I would have had some 'splainin' to do.

HorseHide

One of the Regulars
Can Johnson's replace a zipper on my aero?

I just had Johnson's do some work on an Aero (removing a wind flap from a used Highwayman) and a Vanson (new lining) - quality work done quickly for a reasonable fee with an actual sense that they appreciated the business. Refreshing.

I highly recommend these guys.

Oh yeah, no drama.

Fifty150

One Too Many
I followed that link to the MR. S website. :eeek:!!!!
now if I can just get all the vision back in my left eye

I wish you the best of luck. I am still trying to regain my vision in my right eye. But the doctor said that there isn't much hope since I gouged it out with a fork.

Golden Bear & Johnson's does not sell leather shorts or hoods like Mr. S.

JLStorm

Practically Family
Just had to see what all the hub bub was about with the Mr. S link. There are just some things in life that one cannot un-see. Luckily, I was already damaged good before clicking on that link so the mental and emotional impact should be minimal lol.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Agreed as to the City (Manhattan) and the Mr. S website, although I have known some drummers who would have liked it.

I was afraid to go past the first page to see the jackets. My wife was in the same room, and it could have been ugly if she had seen the screen. I would have had some 'splainin' to do.

You're quick on the draw Mr. P. On Major Lance (I didn't forget), "Monkey Time", "Um, Um" and all his biggest hits were early songs penned by Mr. Curtis Mayfield. I've a CD of Chicago Soul which contains many of these early Lance/Mayfield collaborations on Okeh Records. Man, he could write. As for the Mr. S website... errr... my visions still a little blurry and I won't even begin to guess what the "S" stands for.

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails