Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Johnson Leathers custom half belt headed my way this week

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
How's Johnson Leather's capability to make exact replicas of model jackets? I once sent a Jack Bauer jacket to Alexander and asked to make an EXACT replica, they added their stuff and say they think that's better!! I want JL to replicate a vintage jacket for me, do you think Alan will do it?

technovox

One Too Many
That is one beautiful jacket. Congratulations! I love Johnson Leather's custom work, and Alan is wonderful to work with.

So what is the weight on the Horween Horsehide that you used on your jacket?

(I currently have a M200J jacket on order from Johnson Leathers and I'm hoping to source some Shinki horsehide in a mid-weight dark seal. If that doesn't work, the Tannery row option sounds promising.)

Jack Burton

One of the Regulars
That is one beautiful jacket. Congratulations! I love Johnson Leather's custom work, and Alan is wonderful to work with.

So what is the weight on the Horween Horsehide that you used on your jacket?

(I currently have a M200J jacket on order from Johnson Leathers and I'm hoping to source some Shinki horsehide in a mid-weight dark seal. If that doesn't work, the Tannery row option sounds promising.)

Techno, you're getting another M200J:D?

technovox

One Too Many
Techno, you're getting another M200J:D?

Yes (sheepishly.) The last one in the Horween overdyed CXL was way too heavy and thick for the weather in this area (today in SF it was actually 75 degrees out.) At 4 ounces it felt like wearing armor. But I love the Johnson M-200J fit and style, so I'm giving it another go in a mid-weight horsehide to get it right. The pursuit of the perfect leather jacket is hopelessly addicting...

nick123

I'll Lock Up
For anyone who likes the Horween overdye, they now carry it in a thinner 3oz(ish) variation that might work better for warmer climates.

sshack

A-List Customer
Yes (sheepishly.) The last one in the Horween overdyed CXL was way too heavy and thick for the weather in this area (today in SF it was actually 75 degrees out.) At 4 ounces it felt like wearing armor. But I love the Johnson M-200J fit and style, so I'm giving it another go in a mid-weight horsehide to get it right. The pursuit of the perfect leather jacket is hopelessly addicting...

Cool! Can you give details on the midweight horesehide? where are you sourcing it?

Jack Burton

One of the Regulars

Lol, you're the one who got me into this mess. Just kidding, mine is finally starting to break in and is perfect for the winters here. Anything over 50 deg F though and this jacket would be too warm. The CXL overdye is heavy but I've gotten used to it and it blocks the wind very well. Keep us updated on your new order, JL kicks ass.

technovox

One Too Many
Lol, you're the one who got me into this mess. Just kidding, mine is finally starting to break in and is perfect for the winters here. Anything over 50 deg F though and this jacket would be too warm. The CXL overdye is heavy but I've gotten used to it and it blocks the wind very well. Keep us updated on your new order, JL kicks ass.

Will do. Just wish this leather jacket learning curve wasn't so darn expensive!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff