Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Limited Edition Trojan from LW

One of the Regulars
Well...well...well...
What Can I say?
Exceptional!
Outstanding!
Magnificent!
Hats off to Stuart and you Snark:eusa_clap
Extraordinary trim, great that you have the NOS warm lining, because there is no room for layers on that one fer sure.
I really like to know a little more about the zippers, ( I spotted something unusual there).
I have to add, that is a truly piece of art IMHO!

TheSnark

One of the Regulars
I really like to know a little more about the zippers, ( I spotted something unusual there).

Good eyes... you don't miss a thing, do you?

The main zipper is NOS 1950s Brass #6 Crown, as advertised on the website. The sleeves and pocket zippers are NOS 1950s Brass C&C (Crown)... an upgrade from the Talon Oxidized zippers shown in the ad. I didn't ask for the upgrade on the pockets and sleeves, but I'm guessing Stuart threw them in as a surprise bonus because I've been a good boy this year (as far as he's concerned, anyway ;)). I was delighted by the addition, so I made a point of featuring a close-up of the pocket zipper in one of the photos.

There has been some discussion lately on the board regarding the wisdom of using vintage NOS zippers on heavy horsehide. All I can say is, time will tell. If any of them fail, it's most likely to be the main zipper, as that has more stress than the pockets or sleeves. I intend to enjoy and show them off while they last, at any rate!

jon z

One of the Regulars
I went for the NOS Crown sprung main zip option in my customised J23 & have had no problems with it. It's probably made to a higher quality than most, if not all zips available today. And I got NOS brass Talons fitted in the sleeves & pockets without asking.

One of the Regulars
Good eyes... you don't miss a thing, do you?

The main zipper is NOS 1950s Brass #6 Crown, as advertised on the website. The sleeves and pocket zippers are NOS 1950s Brass C&C (Crown)... an upgrade from the Talon Oxidized zippers shown in the ad. I didn't ask for the upgrade on the pockets and sleeves, but I'm guessing Stuart threw them in as a surprise bonus because I've been a good boy this year (as far as he's concerned, anyway ;)). I was delighted by the addition, so I made a point of featuring a close-up of the pocket zipper in one of the photos.

There has been some discussion lately on the board regarding the wisdom of using vintage NOS zippers on heavy horsehide. All I can say is, time will tell. If any of them fail, it's most likely to be the main zipper, as that has more stress than the pockets or sleeves. I intend to enjoy and show them off while they last, at any rate!

Atta boy! I knew it!
They are absolutely fabulous, and makes your jacket absolutely unique and valuable!
I'm glad that he gave you that upgrade surprise, quite a nice gesture!
About the use of vintage NOS zippers on heavy horsehide, it is my opinion that any #9 ( Talon, Crown, clark,Scovill), will do the job as good or better than the current generation zippers).
My Lost World Ryder came with a NOS #5 Talon main zipper, and that wasn't enough to do the job for a long time, solution was to make him to install a #9, voila problem solved.
Also I carefully applied bar soup on the zipper teeth, which makes the zipper work effortlessly.
In other words I don't think that I will outlast the jackets or zippers of any Lost World jackets that I have, and like I will enjoy it to the fullest!:cool:

Last edited:

TheSnark

One of the Regulars
Ahh, bar soap! I've tried to think of some way to lube the sliders, but oil or grease is obviously out of the question... bar soap never occurred to me (I use liquid soap for everything except the laundry).

Not to belabor the point, but the Trojan has always been the ultimate motorcycle jacket, for me anyway. Sure, the Bucos are great, but the Trojan is really something special... or maybe they just seem that way because they're so rare. Original Bucos and vintage Schotts aren't that all uncommon and show up on eBay regularly, but when is the last time you saw an original Trojan for sale... anywhere? Originals are quite rare, and the lucky folks who own them are in no hurry to give them up. Given the rarity, fame, and just plain good looks of the Trojan, I consider an authentic reproduction like this to be the best jacket I'll ever own. I really don't know how I could ever top this one. And I love the NOS zippers, really completes the look, even if there is some risk of involved... they just don't make zippers with this kind of style and quality anymore.

From Jon's post, zipper upgrades may not be uncommon for custom or Limited Edition orders (just guessing....).

ampgoesto11

New in Town
I agree that LW's owner is sometimes abrasive. I have several LW jackets, some custom, others stock. No matter what you say or believe, there is no equal in workmanship and materials. He does not suffer fools. You have to know what you want, and you must be willing to pay. I am not a big HH fan. But I can compliment his cow and goat hides and recommend them without reservation. For those interested in something a little unique, I purchased a custom Ryder in his 18oz dark brown cotton canvas. It is stunning, different, and is becoming a favorite. He has a so-called "Raider" style on his limited edition page in size 42R for $450, made of the same stuff. Maybe those textured wavey lines in his HH represent the death of a fat, old horse, I don't know. I prefer smooth non-textured leather, when I can get it. So, I go for his cowhide, which is superb.

Dav

One Too Many
Ahh, bar soap! I've tried to think of some way to lube the sliders, but oil or grease is obviously out of the question... bar soap never occurred to me (I use liquid soap for everything except the laundry).
The lead of a pencil works as a good zip lubricant, just rub it up and down the teeth, a wide soft carpenters pencil works best.
Great jacket btw.

Last edited:

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
Hi Snark:

I agree that the Trojan is one of the best designs out there. I have had the LW Buco J-23 and another Buco by LW a few years back that I can't remember the nomenclature right now and though all were great jackets my current Trojan is the best I have owned. It is shorter so it doesn't ride up while riding and frankly it is more comfortable to just wear around when I'm not riding. Your limited is gorgeous but once it breaks in you will really enjoy it.

007.jpg

TheSnark

One of the Regulars
@Dav: Thanks! Pencil lead actually did occur to me, but I didn't think the tiny thin leads for mechanical pencils would do the job. I never thought of a carpenter's pencil. I'll give it a try, since I have no other use for bar soap.

@oneterrifichog: Rest assured I'm wasting no time breaking it in... I've barely taken it off since it arrived. :D

@ampgoesto11: A goatskin is on my wishlist, but I'm currently leaning toward Langlitz... one of the precious few that can compare to LW. Stuart sent me a sample of the LW goatskin, and it is beautiful leather, but Langlitz has goat in lighter colors for summer riding. Since I can't out-do the LW Trojan, I might as opt for another design that is a true classic in it's own right... and still available from the original manufacturer.

One of the Regulars

Not to belabor the point, but the Trojan has always been the ultimate motorcycle jacket, for me anyway. Sure, the Bucos are great, but the Trojan is really something special... or maybe they just seem that way because they're so rare. Original Bucos and vintage Schotts aren't that all uncommon and show up on eBay regularly, but when is the last time you saw an original Trojan for sale... anywhere? Originals are quite rare, and the lucky folks who own them are in no hurry to give them up. Given the rarity, fame, and just plain good looks of the Trojan, I consider an authentic reproduction like this to be the best jacket I'll ever own. I really don't know how I could ever top this one. And I love the NOS zippers, really completes the look, even if there is some risk of involved... they just don't make zippers with this kind of style and quality anymore.

From Jon's post, zipper upgrades may not be uncommon for custom or Limited Edition orders (just guessing....).

Well... one bar soup can take of all your LW jackets for life, me thinks.
Buco's and Trojan's... I have to admit that you have a valid and strong point, The Buco's are fantastic, but like you said they had been made by zillions, between the originals and the imitations from other manufacturers back in the day, and the Trojan's in contrary are very scarce to find.
Your reproduction is quite authentic and more, and don't worry about the NOS zippers, all my Lost Worlds jackets has and will have NOS zippers, otherwise they do not have that overall aura of "work of art"
In my particular case I still has mix emotions about which one is my favor, between the Buco and the Trojan ( albeit my 5 years old Trojan is not from LW), more on that later;)
If we talking about rarity and scarce we can forget Leather Togs, which by coincidence Stuart also makes ( I had a chat about that with him), we'll see.
Nevertheless your Trojan reproduction rules:eusa_clap

TheSnark

One of the Regulars
If we talking about rarity and scarce we can forget Leather Togs, which by coincidence Stuart also makes ( I had a chat about that with him), we'll see.

The custom Leather Togs on the LW website really is a beauty, and I toyed with the notion of a goatskin reproduction, myself. Alas, the Langlitz option is more suitable for a summer jacket, and too many LW purchases would put me in the "religious cult disciple" category. Time to add to my Langlitz stock, anyway. (Another company that deserves more exposure here, imo.)

Mark P

Familiar Face
That is a beautiful jacket. In my opinion Lost Worlds have a feel and appreciation for vintage style leathers that most other companies cannot match. They have a real sense of what makes for an authentic looking garment. Maybe only Goodwear have that same feel?

TheSnark

One of the Regulars
That is a beautiful jacket. In my opinion Lost Worlds have a feel and appreciation for vintage style leathers that most other companies cannot match. They have a real sense of what makes for an authentic looking garment. Maybe only Goodwear have that same feel?

Thank you, Mark. I can't comment directly on Mr. Chapman's jackets, though I've read nothing but high praise about his work. I'm sure there is a GW in my future... I just haven't ordered it yet.

too much coffee

Practically Family
Not anymore. Fifty dollars for shipping plus a price two to three hundred dollars more than just a few years ago.

Hey bikerpoizun;

You realize I was being very facetious when I wrote that post.
As far as the increase of 200-300 dollars, in all fairness the price has jumped in the last few years even if one ordered directly through Scotland.

I love Aero jackets but ordering through AeroUSA is not the way I would do it.

Welcome to the Forum!

Refards, coffee

DoubleXX

One of the Regulars
jon z: "I'm on my 2nd LW's & there is no coating in my experience. The pics on Stuart's website for some reason give the impression that his jackets have a shiny, plasticy sheen that they do not don't have in the flesh."

-I have a Lost Worlds Grizzly jkt and it's superb...this rumor of a "plastic coating" on the leather is ridiculous. Lost Worlds' products are top-notch in every way, though they are admittedly pricey.

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
jon z: "I'm on my 2nd LW's & there is no coating in my experience. The pics on Stuart's website for some reason give the impression that his jackets have a shiny, plasticy sheen that they do not don't have in the flesh."

-I have a Lost Worlds Grizzly jkt and it's superb...this rumor of a "plastic coating" on the leather is ridiculous. Lost Worlds' products are top-notch in every way, though they are admittedly pricey.

Hey DoubleXX

How about posting a photo or two man! I have only seen them on Stuart's site. It would be nice to see one in real life.

You are absolutely right about the leather from lost Worlds it is excellent! I have never had an issue with any of the horse or Buffalo (owned a buffalo a few years back). The Steerhide is superb as I have owned several.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran