Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New member needing info on a nice travel leather coat/jacket

Fifty150

One Too Many
I came off the set of Hellraiser.

It wasn't for fashion. I was in a climate which rained heavy most of the time. The leather coat was perfect. I kept it well oiled with mink oil. Water never penetrated the oiled leather. Rain always beaded and rolled off the surface. Most of the technical DWR finishes on lighter weight textile eventually failed from wear.

Ultimately, I'm looking for something that has 2 to 3 pockets on the outside and another 2 on the inside, my phone is usually in my pants pocket anyway.

Personal experience, since I actually live here in San Francisco. Johnson Leather is a name which forum members are familiar with. Johnson is one of the manufacturers who supply police jackets to local departments. Golden Bear also supplies police motorcycle jackets. My police motorcycle jacket came from Golden Bear. In high school, my school jacket came from Golden Bear. My 1st leather jacket came from Golden Bear. I was 15, and needed it for riding my motorcycle. It came from their Valencia St. plant. There was a "Banana Republic" label which they removed prior to me walking out of the factory. It was an A-2 flight jacket. It even had a full piece of leather for the back, which is coveted by A-2 style jacket wearers. Over the years, I have had the opportunity to wear a few of their other jackets. All top quality.

I don't know what your budget is, or your exact taste in fashion. Take a look at what they offer. Perhaps e-mail or call them for special request like extra pockets, or fit to your measurements.

upload_2020-2-22_21-44-59.png

upload_2020-2-22_21-40-43.png
upload_2020-2-22_21-41-58.png

Fifty150

One Too Many
for those prices

The company is a contract manufacturer. Whether it's manufacturing for government contracts, or private label for other retailers; their money is not made by selling their own label at retail to the public. They don't even have stores. And for anyone actually going there, they sort of just deal with you in the manufacturing plant where their workers are sewing.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
It wasn't for fashion. I was in a climate which rained heavy most of the time. The leather coat was perfect. I kept it well oiled with mink oil. Water never penetrated the oiled leather. Rain always beaded and rolled off the surface. Most of the technical DWR finishes on lighter weight textile eventually failed from wear.

Personal experience, since I actually live here in San Francisco. Johnson Leather is a name which forum members are familiar with. Johnson is one of the manufacturers who supply police jackets to local departments. Golden Bear also supplies police motorcycle jackets. My police motorcycle jacket came from Golden Bear. In high school, my school jacket came from Golden Bear. My 1st leather jacket came from Golden Bear. I was 15, and needed it for riding my motorcycle. It came from their Valencia St. plant. There was a "Banana Republic" label which they removed prior to me walking out of the factory. It was an A-2 flight jacket. It even had a full piece of leather for the back, which is coveted by A-2 style jacket wearers. Over the years, I have had the opportunity to wear a few of their other jackets. All top quality.

I don't know what your budget is, or your exact taste in fashion. Take a look at what they offer. Perhaps e-mail or call them for special request like extra pockets, or fit to your measurements.

View attachment 215286

View attachment 215284 View attachment 215285

I have a modern made Golden Bear jacket, IMO they are basically mall jackets and a very bad deal for the money.
Maybe used they are worth it, but i would never recommend anyone spend $1000 on a new Golden Bear leather jacket!
There are far better ways to spend that money.

Mawashi

One of the Regulars
I love my Barbour International when traveling...lots of pockets, and waterproof waxed cotton. Not too heavy. Edward mentioned an Indy jacket. They are cool. Here is the Toys McCoys version
View attachment 215219
I have a longer version (27in) from the 40s that works great. There are a couple on ebay right now...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-1950s-...ther-Half-Belt-Sports-Jacket-S-M/233489459028

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-19...Sports-Jacket-Car-Coat-Half-Belt/274140809297

handymike, thanks for the links n tips.
I have a few such travel jackets from uniqlo, LLBean etc so I thought it time for a leather jacket.
The links are great n I'll reach out to the sellers. One might be too small for me as I have a jacket that's 110 cm at the chest and it fits albeit with little room for movement lol.

I wanted to second this. Indonesia is famous for their leather crafts. I have gotten two pairs of boots from there. I know footwear is maybe unrelated to jackets but maybe an Indonesian maker could produce what you need? Here's a pic of my boots built totally to my specs from Indonesia.

Thanks Wardo, I do visit Indonesia from time to time and they do have a large leather industry. However, my experiences w tailored stuff from Indonesia or Thailand has left me wanting, I'm sure I could find a decent shoe or jacket maker but so far I've not had any luck.

I could ask my buddies who are Indonesian if they know of better craftsmen cos I've had a few shoes from Indonesia namely loafers or deck shoes. They were cheap and good for the price ($35 usd) but they were basically BATAs for me, buy and throw away as they won't last more than 6 months wo becoming unwearable. Either they stunk to high hell or they started to look like my dog's chew toy.
Sperrys, Eastland and the odd on sale Timberland/Redwing deck shoe lasted me much longer and was of better value imho.

Back to jackets and for something that I'm going to use for travelling, it has to:
1. Fit well, provide warmth and is practical.
2. Be durable, the last thing I want is a busted zip or something getting undone when I am in unfamiliar territor.
3. Be fashionable enough that I don't get that which village did u come from look lol.

As such this first foray would be sometime that I'm comfortable w like an Aero or another reliable leather brand.
If I can find an ebay bargain that fits well its a plus but I'm prepared to invest more this round.

Thanks guys

Last edited:

Fifty150

One Too Many
that which village did u come from look

Now I've heard it all. Asian versus Asian discrimination in Asia!

Here in The US, and in a lot of other parts of the world, it's common for Asian people to ask each other where they came from. They're looking for some sort of commonality. They want to bond with you. I always get a dirty look, because I answer, "San Francisco". Followed by more disappointment because I can't speak whichever language or dialect they want me to speak.

Mawashi

One of the Regulars

View attachment 215286

View attachment 215284 View attachment 215285

Fifty150,now I understand the need for something like that but if had to do the full 9 yards it'll be in a duster like this.
080409_41_D1.jpeg

My gawd for those prices get a custom leather jacket with a better finish as well as sleeve and body length made to your measurements.

The company is a contract manufacturer. Whether it's manufacturing for government contracts, or private label for other retailers; their money is not made by selling their own label at retail to the public. They don't even have stores. And for anyone actually going there, they sort of just deal with you in the manufacturing plant where their workers are sewing.

I have a modern made Golden Bear jacket, IMO they are basically mall jackets and a very bad deal for the money.
Maybe used they are worth it, but i would never recommend anyone spend $1000 on a new Golden Bear leather jacket!
There are far better ways to spend that money.

Thanks guys for the friendly exchange however, I'm unfamiliar with any of those brands but, I'll take note if what has been said.

Now I've heard it all. Asian versus Asian discrimination in Asia!

Here in The US, and in a lot of other parts of the world, it's common for Asian people to ask each other where they came from. They're looking for some sort of commonality. They want to bond with you. I always get a dirty look, because I answer, "San Francisco". Followed by more disappointment because I can't speak whichever language or dialect they want me to speak.

Fifty150, I don't think I was thinking of that as village is a rather ubiquitous term although, country is more ofter referred to in the west. The point rather is not to stick out in the wrong way lol. My budget, anything below USD $800 is good.

As for people discriminating others based on looks or what you're wearing I can only roll my eyes at that and as a fellow Asian who pretty much suck at mandarin and other dialects it's a mutual feeling.

Last edited:

Cornelius

Practically Family
Any update on how this project turned out, @Mawashi? Only asking as I wonder about getting an Aero Maxwell/Mulligan myself, modified with shoulder gussets & 2 interior pockets.

Apart from the obvious differences in pocket layout, I cannot tell from Aero's stock photos if the Maxwell & Mulligan differ in any significant way in terms of pattern. I would prefer whichever model has a more trim torso & higher armholes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points