Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Member/Vanson Customer Service Issues on Teton Repair

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
Hello All,
I just joined this board after finding it while researching a Vanson Enfield that I just bought on ebay. It really helped a lot and when I get it I'll probably post again. While reading other posts, I had to grin when they discussed how Vanson's customer service sucks because that's the experience I had. It all goes back to when I got a mesh Vanson Ventmax from some discounter on the internet. I really liked the jacket except the sleeve armor irritated my elbows (sports injury). I sent it back then contacted Kim at Vanson (the owner's wife and sales manager) on the phone who connected me with Connie in repairs and we arranged for a special order with two extra inches in the sleeve. The price seemed reasonable so I place the order and waited, and waited, and waited. Eventually it did come, but after emails and at least four or five months after I expected it. But it was a custom order so one expects that.

My real complaint involves a Teton I bought this time last year. First off, I want to say I love the jacket's quality and features and wouldn't trade it for any other as a main jacket for wearing on a motorbike. Because I dealt with Kim before, I sent a few emails before ordering comparing different styles etc. and settled on Firenze leather, which they had in stock. (I'm glad I picked Firenze because it's a lot of jacket with the armor etc. and competition cowhide would have been far too heavy.) So anyway it was sent and I got it in about a week.

Problem #1) With no mention at all, the armor was not included. I finally sorted out that they would send it later but it was a real bummer because without the shoulder armor to support it, the jacket really weighted me down. Eventually it came, but it was really weak not to put a note in the original delivery. But the worst was Problem #2) After TWO DAYS the zipper went off track and froze where you zip it up from the bottom. OK, things happen. So I did a computer video showing the problem and sent it to Kim and eventually we sorted it out so they would replace the metal zipper with a nylon one that Kim said was superior.

MY COMPLAINT REVOLVES AROUND TURN AROUND TIME: I figured after they had it back it would take about a week for the repair so in total I'd have it back in three weeks. NO WAY JOSE!!! It was about three months. I keeped emailing Kim but I didn't want to get her pissed off at me either. What really irritated me is that she kept saying how busy they were with other repairs. To my thinking, a brand new jacket that failed the first weekend should have gone to the front of the line! But anyway, that all happened about a year ago and I love the jacket now that I have it. There's no point posting a picture, it's a piece of safety equiptment, not a fashion statement. When I get the Enfield in the mail in a few days, I'll probably share.

Last thought: Vanson is a two edged sword. It's a pretty big company but it's run like a small company. You can't call the president of Toyota about your car, but you can talk to Kim who along with her husband runs the company, which is nice even if the results can be maddening.

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
Welcome to the Forum. Sounds as though you have had quite the go with Vanson. I think your analysis about Vanson being a big company run like a small one is spot on. I dealt with Kim when I ordered my Enfield. Other than taking seven months to get here (off the rack, not custom), I have no complaints. It is a heavy, well made motorcycle jacket.

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
hmmm...i don't think they have that many employees...i believe it is a small co. run like a smaller company.

the jackets are the most amazing thing, but yes, because it is small they can't get to custom orders and repairs in a timely manner. i was lucky in that i found a jacket i liked off the rack that fit me (has the side straps to taper it to my size)...that's the way to go with vanson, or decide whether to order and wait. however, does seem like you can't get better.

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
One learns so much on this and similar boards, it's just amazing. I had no idea. I guess I was lucky the way I ordered my Teton, whatever problems I had after. I called and talked to Kim and she sold me a jacket that was hanging in their showroom which was put in the mail so I got it in a week, end of story. Now I realize that had I ordered online like I have dozens of times before, I would have been caught in this totally unexpected twilight zone of waiting. If they're going to sell online but something is not available for delivery, they should say so on their site. Sheesh!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran