Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Member with an Interesting Hat!

IsabellaPrice

New in Town
Hello everyone! My name is Andrea and I am a hat collector. I'm seventeen and have been collecting hats for the last 5 years. My first hat was a 1910 German collapsible silk top hat. I sold both of my top hats a while ago though and have been after one again. Right now I have a lot of peaked military caps and fedoras, and a vintage Sherlock Holmes hat. I picked this beautiful hat up at the Salvation Army for $45. They hat a gorgeous purple one too which I REALLY wanted and was going to pick it up the next day, but it was gone by the time I got there. I'd like to figure out what type of hat this is and what it's made out of. It's obviously a fedora, but I don't know if it's a certain type of fedora or not. I don't wear it with a pinch in the front of the crown, but I pinched it for these pictures. It's really soft and has a furry surface, which is really smooth. It's not short like felt, it's longer. I was thinking fur felt. It's still got the original size tag and labels on the inside. There's a gold image on the inside of the hat that says 'De Sind New York' with a design and a picture of a beaver in the center. This hat is tough! It's been through a lot- dirt, heavy wind, clay (disrespectful ceramics students), HEAVY rain, hail, getting stomped on repeatedly, and it's still in near mint condition!

16bxzdc.jpg

n1bfjt.jpg

11rwxl2.jpg

2s1k56s.jpg

259aavt.jpg

2zhgm7d.jpg

Right now I'm after an Adventurebilt hat (Indy!), but I'm not liking the 1-2 yr waiting list! I found a nice hat that looks a lot like the Adventurebilt, it's $299 and the wait isn't forever. People keep telling me not to purchase it because the brown fedora pictured above apparently looks very Indy. It does, slightly, if you give it a hard pinch in the crown, but if you want to get technical it's not even close.

I'm glad to be here at the forum! I've been stalking around for a long time, I'm glad I finally joined.

**Extra credit for you if you know who the lovely man in my icon is!

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Welcome to the lounge...I'd go for the Federation also if ya want the Indy.:eusa_clap ..and as far as guessing who's in the avatar...Hmmm...Valentino perhaps?[huh]

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I was going to recommend the David Morgan Adventurer, too! I have one, it didn't run as much as your about to spend and its a great hat.
Short turn around time. You can get it in a couple of days.
Welcome to the Fedora Lounge by the way. I hope you enjoy whatever hat you decide on.

IsabellaPrice

New in Town
KY Gentleman said:
I was going to recommend the David Morgan Adventurer, too! I have one, it didn't run as much as your about to spend and its a great hat.
Short turn around time. You can get it in a couple of days.
Welcome to the Fedora Lounge by the way. I hope you enjoy whatever hat you decide on.

I've heard of the Akubra Federation, but I was going to go with the Herbert Johnson Poet. I think the Adventurer would be my best (and least expensive) bet. I'll definitely be ordering one when my paycheck rolls in!

Bolthead said:
.....not too keen on the belt though. [huh]

welcome aboard.

I wasn't too fond of the belt either when I got it, and I tried to remove it but it's completely attached. I've gotten used to it, though.

Colby Jack said:
..and as far as guessing who's in the avatar...Hmmm...Valentino perhaps? [huh]

Yep! It's Tino.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback on the Indy hat. You just saved me about $200 and a wait of 2 years. ;)

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
Welcome Isabella!
About that hat of yours; I know nothing of it (nothing whatever) but it looks somewhat like a Borsalino I have, soft fuzzy felt, except -of course- for that weird "ribbon", which looks to me as if some one, in the very late sixties (yes, Jimi!) got a hold of the hat and decided to "update" it. The looks of it all doesn't turn me on, in spite of its obvious "air cooled" benefits.
Paul

YETI

A-List Customer
Purple haze

DavidVillaJr said:
Not sure if I'm LOVING that hat or just LOVIN' it.....

Reminds me of Jimi Hendrix....

I think I'll go dig out some CD's and get EXPERIENCED!!

dv
My sentiments exactly

IsabellaPrice

New in Town
PabloElFlamenco said:
Welcome Isabella!
About that hat of yours; I know nothing of it (nothing whatever) but it looks somewhat like a Borsalino I have, soft fuzzy felt, except -of course- for that weird "ribbon", which looks to me as if some one, in the very late sixties (yes, Jimi!) got a hold of the hat and decided to "update" it. The looks of it all doesn't turn me on, in spite of its obvious "air cooled" benefits.
Paul

I thought about that too, until I inspected the sweatband. The back of the belt is sewn onto the hat with the same original stitches used to sew the sweatband in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou