Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Peacoat!

dep126

Familiar Face
So after posting and reading threads about peacoats and constantly being told to go vintage I thought all those people may be on to something. So, earlier today I went into the Uptown neighborhood in mpls and found there were a few vintage shops. The first one I went into I saw they had two peacoats. I went into shock when I found an absolute mint one in my size! According to Peacoat's sticky thread its from between 1947-1951, based on the tag. It still has the original owners name and serial number stenciled on the lining. I snathed it up and think for only 75 dollars its a great deal.

The fit is great, much more fitted than any others I've tried on. For all those who were in my boat, EVERYTHING PEOPLE SAY ABOUT THE VINTAGE COATS IS TRUE!!!! There was a much newer sterlingwear coat next to the one I bought. There really wasnt much of a comparison. The fabric on my older coat is incredible. You really can feel the difference.

I'll try to post some pics later tonight but a big thank you to everyone who pointed me in the right direction.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I myself am having a hard time deciding what would be better for cold weather wear: a long coat such as a peacoat or a leather/bomber jacket.

After hearing of your success, I think it's time to do a little more research. Glad to hear that you're satisfied, and let's see some pics :D.

Peacoat

Bartender
Dep: Glad you listened to the voices of experience.

Neophyte: A peacoat is much warmer than any of the leather jackets I own. But each serves its own purpose, and I wear one or the other depending on the specific use required. Today it was a heavy motorcycle jacket. Two months from now, it may be a peacoat.

Edit Note: When it gets cold, you will need to layer with a wool sweater under that peacoat. But I'm sure you know how to do that already as you are in Minneapolis.

I second Jeff's suggestion about the dry cleaning. It will kill any moth eggs hidden in the fabric, and it will perk up the finish of your coat.

Neophyte

Peacoat said:
Dep: Glad you listened to the voices of experience.

Neophyte: A peacoat is much warmer than any of the leather jackets I own. But each serves its own purpose, and I wear one or the other depending on the specific use required. Today it was a heavy motorcycle jacket. Two months from now, it may be a peacoat.

Edit Note: When it gets cold, you will need to layer with a wool sweater under that peacoat. But I'm sure you know how to do that already as you are in Minneapolis.

I second Jeff's suggestion about the dry cleaning. It will kill any moth eggs hidden in the fabric, and it will perk up the finish of your coat.

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure how warm I'll need to be in Tennessee's "winter" (lol), but the peacoat sounds great!

AngryNJ

Familiar Face
I own a Schott B-3 and a Schott Peacoat (32oz).

I always wear the peacoat now.

The B-3 is very warm too, don't get me wrong. But it is also very heavy. The peacoat is NOT heavy to wear, and I love the added length when the wind kicks up. Wish I bought vintage, but I bought it before I became a lounge member (and learned).

Neophyte

AngryNJ said:
I own a Schott B-3 and a Schott Peacoat (32oz).

I always wear the peacoat now.

The B-3 is very warm too, don't get me wrong. But it is also very heavy. The peacoat is NOT heavy to wear, and I love the added length when the wind kicks up. Wish I bought vintage, but I bought it before I became a lounge member (and learned).
Thanks for sharing, that sealed the deal! :)

dep126

Familiar Face
I'm going to be taking my coat in for the recommended dry cleaning. Will any dry cleaner do or should I seek out someone who specializes in vintage stuff. Is a modern day dry cleaner going to damage the wool or should it be ok?

dep126 said:
I'm going to be taking my coat in for the recommended dry cleaning. Will any dry cleaner do or should I seek out someone who specializes in vintage stuff. Is a modern day dry cleaner going to damage the wool or should it be ok?

Any good dry cleaner should be able to do the job.
Basically just a wool garment...like suits, dress jackets, overcoats, dresses, etc.

Spoonbelly

One of the Regulars
dep126 said:
So after posting and reading threads about peacoats and constantly being told to go vintage I thought all those people may be on to something. So, earlier today I went into the Uptown neighborhood in mpls and found there were a few vintage shops. The first one I went into I saw they had two peacoats. I went into shock when I found an absolute mint one in my size! According to Peacoat's sticky thread its from between 1947-1951, based on the tag. It still has the original owners name and serial number stenciled on the lining. I snathed it up and think for only 75 dollars its a great deal.

The fit is great, much more fitted than any others I've tried on. For all those who were in my boat, EVERYTHING PEOPLE SAY ABOUT THE VINTAGE COATS IS TRUE!!!! There was a much newer sterlingwear coat next to the one I bought. There really wasnt much of a comparison. The fabric on my older coat is incredible. You really can feel the difference.

I'll try to post some pics later tonight but a big thank you to everyone who pointed me in the right direction.

Caution!! You might find these coats to be habit forming!! I have two that fit me great, and 1 that is a tinch small but I can still wear it. I'm still looking for 1 or 2 more so I can have a lifetime supply. My size is 46 and there are very few of those around and these old ones from the '50s and '60s will not be around forever ( not that I will be either).

Peacoat

Bartender
Since joining this forum almost 5 years ago,* I have been advocating the vintage peacoat. At first it was a lonely quest, but over the years I have built up a steady number of converts. It does my peacoat heart good to see all of the loungers taking up the cause.

Thanks guys.

Mr. Peacoat.

_______
* Almost 5 years and I still have fewer than 1000 posts. Either I don't have much to say, or what I say is so pithy that numerous posts aren't required. Or it could be that I seldom venture much beyond the Outerwear section for comments.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy