Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

new pipe smoker with questions.

Jesse Jack

New in Town
Just a few other suggestions; in a nutshell, pipe smoking has a bit of a learning curve so there's more to it than just finding the right tobacco. In addition to experimenting with different blends, it's also an acquired taste and has a proper technique to it, which will come with time.

Latakia blends have a more pronounced flavor but also a more pungent aroma. Straight burley and Virginia blends have a more muted (but pleasant) aroma; the burleys have kind of a nutty taste and the virginias are more sweet. Aromatics have the best aroma but it's difficult to find one that tastes as good as it smells. There's other blends out there and ones that kind of blur the lines between these categories but that kind of covers most of it.

As far as an acquired taste, it's just one of those things like coffee or beer where you pick up the nuance more after a while. To me it's not so much like the taste of eating a candy bar or something. It's more of a dark-chocolatey aftertaste on the back of your tongue.

Technique is the main thing. Don't smoke too hot. If you draw too hard or puff too fast you'll just burn up everything and get a hot, acrid smoke which is probably what you're describing. "Sip" at the pipe. Another way I've heard it described is to try and smoke right on the thin line between staying lit and going out; that's where you get your best flavor and aroma. Finding the right technique in loading the bowl is important too because if you pack it too loose it'll burn hot; if you pack it too tight you'll have to smoke it hotter to keep it lit.

It seems like a lot to figure out but you just fool around with it until you start to get the hang of it. Maybe I've said a lot that you already knew so my apologies for any redundancy, but I just like to help a new piper along.

Finally, one thing about humidors. I know nothing about cigars but I have seen on websites little things you throw in there to keep the right humidity; if you have one, toss it. You want to more or less seal in what's already in the tobacco; if it's really moist you may even need to dry it, but definitely no added moisture unless it's already dried out to the point of being crispy. If it's too moist it'll give you grief too.

There. I'll shut up now!

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
You are getting some good advice here, I'll just add a few tidbits.

Check out http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/

Regarding having several pipes and rotating them - this is good advice and I would just add that, if you smoke both aromatic and non-aromatic blends you'll need to dedicate pipes to the aromatics, sometimes to specific blends if they are heavily cased. Aromatics tend to linger in the pipe and will ruin it for any other tobacco you put in it.

Whatever you do, stay away from Mixture #79.

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
On advice from this thread I picked up a blend with Latakia in it.......OH MY!!!!!!!! I've been smokin (on and off) the pipe for twenty years and allways grabbed the cherry blends. I'd dry my mouth out and burn my tounge for a couple days and give it up for months and sometimes years! I could not believe the wonderful smoke I got with the Latakia blend, very smooth and flavorful, no bite, very mellow and relaxing!! I'm just amazed at the difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy