Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Schott 118 - Leather Dye Transfer Issue

Yango

One of the Regulars
You must have over applied it. I applied the thinnest possible coat, let it soak in for 30 hours, then buffed away anything that was left.
Hmmm, not sure about that.

I applied a single application, wiped off any excess, and then left it outside in the sunshine for 3 consecutive days—the product was completely absorbed, then wiped the jacket down again, and gave it a buffing. The jacket looked and felt great to the touch, but the black transfer over the next couple of months was not pleasant. Hands, shirts, pants, walls… nothing was spared.

But the jacket did look great.

I has since faded back to it’s natural dark brown colour, over the past few summers of wearing it constantly on my motorcycle—I’m fine with it as is. I treat it every so often with Pecards Motorcycle Leather Lotion to keep it clean, hydrated and smelling great.
…And thankfully zero colour transfer.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
For what it’s worth, 5 months after the Pecards tinted conditioner I’ve had no bleed (though the naked cowhide did bleed before I applied it).

Edward

Bartender
It washes out, no problem.

Invest in dark-coloured trousers. It doesn't stop and anything you try (conditioner, rubbing the Jeebus out of it with a towel or cloth) will just make it worse. This is my chief offender. Unrepentant, recidivist, etc. Aero Maxwell in cordovan tumbled HH.

Oddly enough, the only, better leather jacket I ever had that did this was also in cordovan Horween CXL FQHH - my Aero Bootlegger. Never had it with other colours in the same leather. For me it stopped as the jacket broke in over time; I think a Pecarding also helped.

zebedee

One Too Many
Oddly enough, the only, better leather jacket I ever had that did this was also in Horween CXL FQHH - my Aero Bootlegger. Never had it with other colours in the same leather. For me it stopped as the jacket broke in over time; I think a Pecarding also helped.
Mine has never completely stopped but, as the dye washes out completely, I don't worry about it at all. I think it also depends on the material it's bleeding on to - wearing anything canvas is asking for trouble :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto