Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New shoes = agony!?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
It appears that the cut of the "Carson" shoe last does not fit your foot.
I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. I have over two dozen pairs of shoes from an English maker, all made on the same last, which fit like a glove after a conservative break-in period. Were I to wear them full steam ahead right out of the box I would need to visit the ER.

I went and exchanged them today, I decided to give some classic Clark's desert boots a go.

thecl14023_11519_jb1.jpg

that's a nice looking boot, I'm going to have to check out more clarks. I didn't realize they had so many traditional styles.

dwebber18

One of the Regulars
I'm wearing my Clark's desert boots as I type. My wife got them for me 2 years ago and they get a good bit of wear with jeans and casual khakis. Some things I've noticed is that they get beat up pretty quick, and they need regular application of a leather conditioner like mink oil or something like because they tend to dry out a bit. I really like wearing mine and look forward to the day when I can get a really quality pair of chukkas to wear with nicer dress and keep my Clark's for casual wear. If you haven't bought them yet definitely try them on as I've found they run quite big.

CopperNY

A-List Customer
i have just over two years on a pair of Clark's "Roar" boots. they did not feel particularly substantial out of the box, but i feel that i've gotten more than my money's worth out of them. i expect to get another year or two out of them before a resole or replacement is necessary.

also, no break-in was needed. fit comfortably from the first and had no "hot spots".

cookie

I'll Lock Up
the real question is do you have more hats than shoes???

as it shoud be :D

Touche....he is working on the shoes collection as we speak with suitable guidance of course...

The general rule of shoes is that they fit comfortably straight out of the box...if they don't... (none of this break-in crap)...you don't buy them or they go back.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
The general rule of shoes is that they fit comfortably straight out of the box...if they don't... (none of this break-in crap)...you don't buy them or they go back.
Then you'll never own any Edward Green.[huh] The need to break-in shoes has been discussed at various times on the menswear boards. Mind you, these are properly fitted shoes and are not uncomfortable during try-on, just a bit close fitting.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Then you'll never own any Edward Green.[huh] The need to break-in shoes has been discussed at various times on the menswear boards. Mind you, these are properly fitted shoes and are not uncomfortable during try-on, just a bit close fitting.

Just because you like to wear your shoes as snug as a bug in a rug.....

Bugsy

One Too Many
I have the same problem and I, quite often, have heel pads put in the bottom of the shoes. These raise the heel a bit so that the shoe is not digging in the softer part of the ankle. You might try that along with the moleskin.

kyboots

Practically Family
Just one comment especially when buying leather shoes/boots. There should always be slippage in the heel. This area should be loose when new. As the shoe/boot conforms and creases and bends to the foot, it will pull down and contract fitting more snug to the entire foot. They should never be snug when new, but I suspect that everyone here already knows that. John

eddiehmd

New in Town
Ocassionally i have trouble with new leather shoes, the fit may feel a bit tight in the beginning and may lead to some blisters or friction around the ankle. But after wearing them for a little while, i noticed the leather will loosen a bit, and become more lean and comfortable.

skytop

New in Town
Just thinking about the last time I had to wear new shoes makes me ache! I wonder if there is a way to safely presoak new shoes so that the first wearings will more rapidly promote size adjustment for comfort.

Bebop

Practically Family
I bought the same shoes a while back and returned them to Nordstroms a couple of days later because of the same problem. I figured out that most low ankle shoes that are not super soft, do that to me so I stay away from anything that doesn't have at least a few inches of height at the ankle. I think they make them in a boot style that would solve the problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy