Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Standard & Strange X Simmons Bilt Natural Horsehide Jacket

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you are seriously thinking about buying I would hold out for a 44 in this one if I were you. It’s a good looking jacket, but the 46 doesn’t fit you nearly as well as any of the other jackets I’ve seen you post on these pages.
Jonesy- what is your chest measurement and weight??

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
The mere fact that Aero elected not to pursue a civil action against AL/SB does not even remotely demonstrate that AL/SB was not culpable. To the contrary, most civil wrongdoing – e.g., misappropriation of trade secrets or intellectual property rights – does not result in civil proceedings. Even when the wrongdoing is undeniable, the costs associated with a civil action are simply too great and burdensome for many aggrieved parties. A meritorious civil action can cost hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars to prosecute depending on the complexity and amount of work. Many companies simply to do not have the financial resources to fund such an effort. Moreover, even when the resources exist, one must also consider whether the likely damages justify the expenditure, and whether the ultimate judgment will be recoverable. Civil proceedings also involve a tremendous investment of time by the aggrieved party. Managers must allocate huge amounts of time to the proceedings, which prevents them from attending to the essential business operations. Lastly, there is an incomprehensible emotional burden associated with civil litigation that taxes even the most rational and level-headed business people.

The bottom line is that aggrieved / injured companies frequently forego legitimate and provable claims for a variety of reasons. I know that Ken strongly believed that he could prove his claims against AL/SB, but the various factors addressed above were too daunting and burdensome. AL/SB should consider itself fortunate that it was never required to defend itself in Court and address the compelling evidence of its wrongdoing. Instead, AL/SB sidestepped the conviction of its founder, Will Lauder, changed the company’s name, and waited for memories to fade.

Indeed... But if the aggrieved party elects not to pursue legal action, I think that says something.

What does it say though?

One, that the courts make a sad mockery of justice by making restitution too costly ?
Two, that we should therefore all engage in a sort of vigilantism, pursuing grudges that are not our own, whenever we witness wrongdoing?
Three, that perhaps other forms of revenge are better, such as living well?
Four, that to forgive is divine?

Personally, I find it to be a mixture. Most of the above options are problematic, and no one should look at that list of choices and think, "Aha, there's one correct answer, and it's absolutely [this one]." I take a measure of each, adjusting the proportions as seems best to me.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Standard & Strange is a great store with very high quality products, and staffed by very knowledgeable and friendly folks that are proud of their store. This jacket was on the shelf wrapped in plastic, and I was asked to put on gloves to handle it because it marks so easily. The horsehide is quite stiff and substantial, I would guess 4 oz.. I found the 46 to fit a bit loose, and the first thing I noticed is that the sleeves were quite long, which would allow for them rising as they crease.
I commend Neil and company for this collaboration, I think it is a very nice jacket.
View attachment 148077
View attachment 148076
View attachment 148074
View attachment 148075
That’s the one you need to take to Hawaii!! Just roll the cuffs up like Levis truckers back in the day!

Umm... It's much more simple for me. I just look at what happened, who and what all was involved. The deliberate conniving and deception. No guilty party has asked for forgiveness, so there is none as far as I am concerned. If you just focus on the trial and that no civil action was put forth then you are missing or dismissing the rest and possibly more important aspects of the sorry events IMO.
HD

Peacoat

Bartender
Umm... It's much more simple for me. I just look at what happened, who and what all was involved. The deliberate conniving and deception. No guilty party has asked for forgiveness, so there is none as far as I am concerned. If you just focus on the trial and that no civil action was put forth then you are missing or dismissing the rest and possibly more important aspects of the sorry events IMO.
HD
And Edward did a good job explaining the probable reasons why no civil action was pursued. As an attorney and judge, I would have been surprised if a civil action had been filed.

red devil

I wonder what it would look after the Hot Sea Water Treatment technique.
https://magicseaweed.com/Kealia-Surf-Report/4818/
You're not it aware of the latest research? Due to the properties of natural leather of absorbing everything it is subjected to and displaying it as a story, it has been found that salt water treatment in Hawaï makes it compatible with flip flops. So it is your ticket to the only jacket that will work in a tropical island! You're issue is solved!! ;)

regius

It seems from Simmons website photos that most of their patterns have been updated to a slimmer, body-contouring style with various collar shapes, this is a nice thing to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

feltfan

I drop by S&S from time to time. Never get anything, but it's nice to have around. I suspect I introduced them to Wesco boots. Had to take off my Morrisons for them once when they were in their old location.

Independent of Simmons Bilt's history (which is enough to have me back away slowly), if you're in the Bay Area, for that price you can get Johnson Leathers to do literally any custom jacket to your measurements with your choice of leather, lining, pockets, and fastenings. I can't imagine getting that jacket, even if it were still available. Seems like I'm missing something.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Having owned and seen/handled Simmons Bilt jackets, I do not think they are worth the money. The Aero jackets I have seen are much nicer in my opinion. This is completely regardless of my other opinions on SB. I think SB is better than Schott, but I still do not think they are worth it.

I love Standard and Strange and see the owner usually once or twice a year, but I much prefer their Wesco, John Lofgren, and Ooe Yofukuten collabs to the SB collabs. If you want an impressive leather jacket from them, take a look at the Ooe Yofukuten leather jacket on their site. Cut by the husband and sewn entirely by the wife with Shinki horsehide for less money than my Shinki jackets cost from Himel, RMC, and Freewheelers. That is good value for money.

Having owned and seen/handled Simmons Bilt jackets, I do not think they are worth the money. The Aero jackets I have seen are much nicer in my opinion. This is completely regardless of my other opinions on SB. I think SB is better than Schott, but I still do not think they are worth it.

I love Standard and Strange and see the owner usually once or twice a year, but I much prefer their Wesco, John Lofgren, and Ooe Yofukuten collabs to the SB collabs. If you want an impressive leather jacket from them, take a look at the Ooe Yofukuten leather jacket on their site. Cut by the husband and sewn entirely by the wife with Shinki horsehide for less money than my Shinki jackets cost from Himel, RMC, and Freewheelers. That is good value for money.
Cool business model too. I can’t even get my wife on board with curtains or “window treatments” as they say.

El Marro

for that price you can get Johnson Leathers to do literally any custom jacket to your measurements with your choice of leather, lining, pockets, and fastenings. I can't imagine getting that jacket, even if it were still available. Seems like I'm missin
Alan will certainly make you whatever jacket you want with the leather he has available. The S&S x SB jacket is made with naked horsehide from the Comipel tannery in Italy and it is beautiful leather. Not to say that Johnson Leathers could not procure this leather as well but I don’t think it is something they offer at this time.
Aero does offer jackets in this hide and Sweetfights just posted photos of an amazing halfbelt they made him. That would probably be the route I would choose as well

sweetfights

Alan will certainly make you whatever jacket you want with the leather he has available. The S&S x SB jacket is made with naked horsehide from the Comipel tannery in Italy and it is beautiful leather. Not to say that Johnson Leathers could not procure this leather as well but I don’t think it is something they offer at this time.
Aero does offer jackets in this hide and Sweetfights just posted photos of an amazing halfbelt they made him. That would probably be the route I would choose as well

The natural leather from Comipel is exceptional. I do not say lightly it is the nicest leather I have ever experienced.
Ken at Aero took care of my order.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot