Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New (to me) jacket: Aero w/shearling lining

Hobbes1

A-List Customer
I got this today from a local seller. I'm not 100% sure if this is the 1950s or 1930s type Aero halfbelt. It is heavy and W.A.R.M.!! Way to warm to wear right now. Fit seems good and I think I could layer a sweater underneath if needed. Storm cuffs are lovely and in great condition.
Sizing tag says 50 but that misy be European. It's around 48" chest. I'll have to measure.
Apologies for the cellphone pics. I had just a few minutes and the sun is already mostly down. Cheers!
IMG_3757.jpeg
IMG_3758.jpeg
IMG_3759.jpeg
IMG_3760.jpeg
IMG_3761.jpeg
IMG_3762.jpeg
IMG_3764.jpeg
IMG_3765.jpeg
IMG_3769.jpeg
IMG_3770.jpeg

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Great pick up. CXL looks broken in and lining condition is great. I wish them would bring back the green quilt lining.

Did Aero use to use thicker shearling lining? It looks much thicker than the Thunderbay jacket a while back...

Hobbes1

A-List Customer
Great pick up. CXL looks broken in and lining condition is great. I wish them would bring back the green quilt lining.

Did Aero use to use thicker shearling lining? It looks much thicker than the Thunderbay jacket a while back...

This jacket weighs in at 7.5 pounds! Heaviest one I've had so far. i wasn't even looking for this (I was picking @ton312 's brain about lesser priced cafe racer brands recently). Saw it online and the seller was local to me. I though..nah it won't fit...there'll be some issue or damage or something will be sketchy. But no, we met up and it was clearly a nice jacket in excellent shape.
It's well broken in and fits me with a little room to spare for layering a sweater underneath. Honestly, not sure I'll need such except bitterest cold days. The shearling seems pretty thick but I'll need to measure it. I don't think it's anything like some B6 type jackets in thickness though.
The only downside to this jacket is the green, quilted lining around the waist area. It does sag down and I don't know what I should do about fixing that or if it can be fixed. Guess I'll need to research the DIY thread or Google.

Looks warm indeed. Love the way the CXL has broken in.

A size 50 is consistent with a size 48 chest.
So, is that 50 a European measurement then? That's what the seller and I were thinking. The CXL seems just so soft and nice. Really seems a nice jacket! Is there any way to date how old this jacket might be? Maybe I need to reach out to Aero for that?

Peacoat

Bartender
I don't know anything about a European size 50, but if the chest measures about 48" then that is about a size 48 or 50, which is consistent with a size 50 in US sizing.

Peacoat

Bartender
Don't confuse the measured p2p with jacket size. I have found with leather jackets, if I remember correctly, the size of the leather jacket is normally 4" less than the p2p X 2 measurement–disregarding fractions . In other words a p2p of 26.5 doubled would be 52, minus 4" would give a size of 48.

In working with peacoats the operative number is 2" rather than 4". Probably because of the increased thickness of the wool shell.

Confused? I was too when I first started working with p2p measurements, probably 20 years ago. By the time I joined this board 17 + years ago I was beginning to have a good grasp of the topic.

AHP91

Practically Family
I
I got this today from a local seller. I'm not 100% sure if this is the 1950s or 1930s type Aero halfbelt. It is heavy and W.A.R.M.!! Way to warm to wear right now. Fit seems good and I think I could layer a sweater underneath if needed. Storm cuffs are lovely and in great condition.
Sizing tag says 50 but that misy be European. It's around 48" chest. I'll have to measure.
Apologies for the cellphone pics. I had just a few minutes and the sun is already mostly down. Cheers! View attachment 516797 View attachment 516798 View attachment 516799 View attachment 516800 View attachment 516801 View attachment 516802 View attachment 516803 View attachment 516804 View attachment 516805 View attachment 516806
Nice jacket. Is this the one that was on Etsy?

Hobbes1

A-List Customer
Yes.... yes we do love dat sheepskin. It's cold up here ya know! It was 50 degrees and windy this morning, out came an A1! Just when you think its warm enough to start wearing shortsleeves... WHAM! They drop the cold on ya!

Worf
I'm a good bit farther south and it's getting pretty darn warm here. Just trying this jacket on for a few minutes, with only a one layer shirt.....whew! H.O.T. I think it will be a great jacket for full on winter but where I am, I'll probably get 3-4 months/year at best. Who knows, if I can't wear it as much, I might move it along. As I noted previously, I was really looking for a nice, vintage, black Cafe racer in the sub $300 price range nd then I stumbled upon this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ