Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New to the forum; In search of an old friend.

MJSchutt

New in Town
Firstly, hello everyone!
I've often wondered if there was a forum for people who liked hats. I figured with the great big expanses of the internet there must be! Finally, after years of occasionally wondering while on my drive home from work, and then forgetting the instant I pulled into the driveway (I seem to do that alot...) my current quest finally pushed me into remembering WHILE sitting in front of the computer! and Poof, here I am.

Now on to my search.
I'm looking for a replacement for my favorite hat. I aquired this hat back in my sophomore year of High School all the way back in 2006. I received it in a trade for a copy of my entire music library, and a crisp $20 bill. Judging by his particular styles and tastes at the time, I would not be at all surprised if he had bought it at Hot Topic. He only had it for a week or so before I traded him for it, so I got it virtually brand new.

I'm hoping some experienced eyes may be able to help me with my quest. It is old, worn, tattered, falling apart, and at this point in such a state that I only wear it on special occasions. The symbol on the side of the hat looks vaguely like a Hurley symbol, but slightly different. Pictures to follow.

P.S. This hat used to be black, but is now faded to a brown/grey color. The original black dye still exists under the adjustment strap in back.

This is the symbol in question, never seen anything else like it.

Same side as the symbol. The printing you can see says INSPECTED, but there used to be cursive writing that went all the way up the side of the hat. The printing does not look like it was done in normal ink, when looking closely you can see that it has a slightly glossy finish, and you can feel it raised from the surface slightly when running your finger over it. The grommets on the side are a Stainless mesh that go through to the other side of the hat.

The other side of the had still has the stainless grommets, but never had any printing.

The back side has a clasp with two teeth on the inside. This clasp used to have a black coloring to it, but has worn off to expose a brass colored metal underneath. Looks like pot metal for those familiar with the jewelers term.

Underside of the brim is camo patterned. The brim has not always been so tattered and frayed, I did not buy it that way, that is genuine fatigue.

Front side of the hat has nothing very special going on with it, though this picture does do a good job at showing the "Zig-Zagged" pattern of the fabric.

Underside has a silky soft fabric that used to have a artsy skull printed on it in red. The skull looked similar to this.
Skulls_tattoo_381.jpg

Fun fact, I just learned while searching for this image, that this style is called a "Sugar Skull"

If there is any more information I can provide, just let me know. I'll keep my fingers crossed that someone here might know what this is, or at least be able to point me in the right direction.

Thank you all so much for your help, and good luck!

RJR

Welcome to the Forum.That very much resembles current military caps.You might Google that for a start.In addition,Hat People,Oregon make what they call a "people cap"that is very similar.

navarre

Vendor
I would guess that it is a Hurley cap. Type in "Military caps" in a Bing search bar and look at images. This was a popular and trendy style a few years back and could be found made by all manor of Skate and Snowboard companies. Volcom, Quicksilver, Stussy and such brands all made similar styles that could be found at local malls. As trends and styles in this area change so frequently, you may not be able to get an exact copy, but you should be able to find something in the same style.

The military style cap is a classic though and if you ditch the branding your search might yield some cool result.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran