Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Vanson Oxford

abone

A-List Customer
Any update on this guy? How’s the hide coming along? Vanson has this one at $539 right now and it’s awfully tempting.

I’ve got the Thurston special version of this jacket in Whidbey cowhide. It’s an incredibly well made jacket. Weighs in at 6lbs or so. I haven’t seen or felt the competition cowhide version so can’t speak to that. Mine does not have collar snaps but does have provision for a snap in quilted liner, which I wouldn’t have room for. It does have the wind flap at the zip. I’ve owned for a year and it’s only now starting to loosen up and break in. Lots of grain.
Mine is a 42.
At $539, based on my experience, I’d say that’s a hell of a price.
D2ED9EDE-D64C-4AA1-9617-2A2F82E4A4CA.jpeg 0EACA8AD-FA9F-4CBB-B0C7-E130712BD373.jpeg

I’ve got the Thurston special version of this jacket in Whidbey cowhide. It’s an incredibly well made jacket. Weighs in at 6lbs or so. I haven’t seen or felt the competition cowhide version so can’t speak to that. Mine does not have collar snaps but does have provision for a snap in quilted liner, which I wouldn’t have room for. It does have the wind flap at the zip. I’ve owned for a year and it’s only now starting to loosen up and break in. Lots of grain.
Mine is a 42.
At $539, based on my experience, I’d say that’s a hell of a price.
View attachment 313698 View attachment 313699
That’s a beautiful jacket!! Can you post the chest measurement on that?

for sure, I measure 23.5. I think that was Carrie’s posted measure at the time I bought it also. Let me know if you need any other measures.
View attachment 313712
Thanks man. I was on the fence about a 40” or 42” but I think a 42” would be good, especially with the quilted liner. The hide on yours looks superb and far nicer than the current comp weight.

abone

A-List Customer
Thanks man. I was on the fence about a 40” or 42” but I think a 42” would be good, especially with the quilted liner. The hide on yours looks superb and far nicer than the current comp weight.
You're welcome. I am 5'10.5" (just have to add the 1/2"!!!), 180 lbs, 42 chest, 44 expanded. Longish arms. I wear 33 or 34" jeans. No way could I fit in a 40. I couldn't layer much at all until just recently when the jacket started to loosen up. Even now its a snug fit with layering.
Might want to ask Carrie if she can still procure this leather. I measure it at 1.4-1.5mm. If memory serves the comp weight is thicker, maybe by quite a bit.

You're welcome. I am 5'10.5" (just have to add the 1/2"!!!), 180 lbs, 42 chest, 44 expanded. Longish arms. I wear 33 or 34" jeans. No way could I fit in a 40. I couldn't layer much at all until just recently when the jacket started to loosen up. Even now its a tight fit with much layering.
Might want to ask Carrie if she can still procure this leather. I measure it at 1.4-1.5mm. If memory serves the comp weight is thicker, maybe by quite a bit.
Dang man that’s critical info! I’m 5’11 210 and would maybe even need a 44” then! Thank you for that. I’m going to ring Vanson today and see if they have any on the shelf. If not I think I’ll ring Carrie and the hide you have. The last comp weight jacket I had I did not like very much. Felt rubbery.

jglf

A-List Customer
Any update on this guy? How’s the hide coming along? Vanson has this one at $539 right now and it’s awfully tempting.

I love the fit of this jacket. Their comp leather is breaking in nicely, but I understand that it’s a biker leather (thick corrected top grain). I use this jacket as a daily beater when the temps are 40F and below. The quilted lining is very warm and thick. The back area curves in beautifully which is great for V-Taper guys. The center seam seems to help with having the leather follow the contours of your back. I’ve cinched the straps two more holes than the original pics, and since the straps are lower on the jacket than a typical half-belt, you don’t get that flaring out on the hem.

I ordered another one in Blue Abyss Bainbridge in a size 38. I’m hoping it’s not too small, but I want a tighter fit to wear over just t-shirts. It will also have the rayon lining vs the quilted one in my pics and a thinner leather, so I hope I won’t have fit issues. I’ve also lost 15lb since I took the pics in May.

I’ll update with some more fit pics in the next few days.

Last edited:

abone

A-List Customer
Dang man that’s critical info! I’m 5’11 210 and would maybe even need a 44” then! Thank you for that. I’m going to ring Vanson today and see if they have any on the shelf. If not I think I’ll ring Carrie and the hide you have. The last comp weight jacket I had I did not like very much. Felt rubbery.
I used to be 210-215 but lost a bunch due to life stuff.
Here are some grain pics of the Whidbey leather. If you go to Thurston’s website she still has the jacket posted ....type in Oxford 42 and it will come up.

Attachments

• C0E16CCC-E03E-4EFC-B763-CB66B4ED6590.jpeg
    C0E16CCC-E03E-4EFC-B763-CB66B4ED6590.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 908
  • 4E843B60-BDE7-4EA0-83B6-F6007EC9034F.jpeg
    4E843B60-BDE7-4EA0-83B6-F6007EC9034F.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 926
  • 60102CB6-6944-467C-A348-B9FD68AD1E8F.jpeg
    60102CB6-6944-467C-A348-B9FD68AD1E8F.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 926
  • F6A66552-68AE-431D-B816-A841406D6F28.jpeg
    F6A66552-68AE-431D-B816-A841406D6F28.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 910

abone

A-List Customer
I love the fit of this jacket. Their comp leather is breaking in nicely, but I understand that it’s a biker leather (thick corrected top grain). I use this jacket as a daily beater when the temps are 40F and below. The quilted lining is very warm and thick. The back area curves in beautifully which is great for V-Taper guys. The center seam seems to help with having the leather follow the contours of your back. I’ve cinched the straps two more holes than the original pics, and since the straps are lower on the jacket than a typical half-belt, you don’t get that flaring out on the hem.

I ordered another one in Blue Abyss Bainbridge in a size 38. I’m hoping it’s not too small, but I want a tighter fit to wear over just t-shirts. It will also had the rayon lining vs the quilted one in my pics and a thinner leather, so I hope I won’t have fit issues.

Bainbridge in blue will be incredible. Can’t wait to see that!

abone

A-List Customer
I didn't try on a 44, Carrie didn't have one in that size but I am pretty sure I could have sized up to 44, especially if I planned on layering, which I do. For sure I'd need the 44 if I had the liner.

I used to be 210-215 but lost a bunch due to life stuff.
Here are some grain pics of the Whidbey leather. If you go to Thurston’s website she still has the jacket posted ....type in Oxford 42 and it will come up.
Wow man these pics really show the character! Much more so than the TB site. Thanks!

Vanson sold out in a 42” and TB has no plans to restock:(
I’d have to go custom and that might take an eternity...

dannyk

One Too Many

I ordered another one in Blue Abyss Bainbridge in a size 38. I’m hoping it’s not too small, but I want a tighter fit to wear over just t-shirts. It will also have the rayon lining vs the quilted one in my pics and a thinner leather, so I hope I won’t have fit issues. I’ve also lost 15lb since I took the pics in May.

100% need a lot of pics on the blue abyss when it arrives!! Haven’t seen too many of those and the few I’ve seen Thurston post; it’s such a fantastic blue.

100% need a lot of pics on the blue abyss when it arrives!! Haven’t seen too many of those and the few I’ve seen Thurston post; it’s such a fantastic blue.

So perfectly named. I’ve only seen a blue like that way out in the ocean. And a bit under it too. Beautiful color.

jglf

A-List Customer
Im
I’m in 22 days of a 130 day wait for my Vanson.
I strategically place orders for custom items so that I receive something every month or 2. Makes the waiting less painful.

abone

A-List Customer

Thurston have a 38 HWM with 42 measurements right now on their in stock page in Natural CXL.
I was tempted on that myself but decided on a Sheene instead.
They also have a 44 Seven also in Natural CXL and the dimensions look spot on. just a suggestion.
More $$’s than the Oxford though.
If only Vanson had better choices in designs and leather. They build a hell of a jacket.

abone

A-List Customer
Im

I’m in 22 days of a 130 day wait for my Vanson.
I strategically place orders for custom items so that I receive something every month or 2. Makes the waiting less painful.

So 6-12 jackets a year!?!? That’s a nice backlog you have!!

Thurston have a 38 HWM with 42 measurements right now on their in stock page in Natural CXL.
I was tempted on that myself but decided on a Sheene instead.
They also have a 44 Seven also in Natural CXL and the dimensions look spot on. just a suggestion.
More $$’s than the Oxford though.
If only Vanson had better choices in designs and leather. They build a hell of a jacket.
Yeah I saw those. I’m not terribly confident I can wear the natural CXL with my newborn piglet skin tone. I might just go direct for a black one. Vanson said 4-6 weeks to restock a 42”....4-6 weeks eh.....
61DB845E-178E-48D3-872F-88B318395F67.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112