Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Vintage Dobbs

Kentucky Blues

A-List Customer
Got my vintage dobbs in today. Its dark brown, and the brim is smaller than I expected, at about 2". Still a really nice hat, and a little furry, it seems. It has a windstring on it, and the hat itself doesn't seem to wanna hold a shape, but that might be a result of the previous shape it had. Soon enough I'll have it lookin real nice. Pictures to come soon :D

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Very nice hat. I saw that on Ebay and am glad it found a good home where it will be appreciated.

OK, I have to ask: what's the story on the frozen hat?

karol

Kentucky Blues

A-List Customer
haha...I was testing the fed deluxe to see what it could go through...which is a lot ;) basically, I soaked the hat, then set it out in the snow...then it froze :D

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Well, that would be one way to keep a cool head.

Did it harm the hat? Was the hat OK once it ... thawed?

A frozen hat, sounds like my Snowy River Akubra. It is a lovely hat, but boy is it hard.

karol

Wild Root

Gone Home
Oh, so you're one of those guys:rolleyes: A thin felt poker. LOL LOL LOL .

This is something that I have learned to try and avoid to do. Take your hat off by the brim and not the ever so easy crown grab like we see in movies. I know it's hard to remember to do this, but it's the way one needs to take a hat of and put one on with out wearing out the crown.

Regards,

Root

That is a nice hat. I have one from the 60s something like it in gray. I bought it because it had a Cav edge and it has a very nice finish to the felt. After I brushed off 40 years of dust---nearly choking myself to death while the cat looked on from a safe distance LOL --- it proved itself to be quite soft and almost fuzzy.
Does yours have these characteristics? I see it has the "Mode Edge" from the pictures but I cannot tell if it has that slightly fuzzy look to it. You put a nice bash in it. I left mine alone with the teardrop that probably came on it from the factory. The dents are probably not forward enough for my taste but it is as it is.
What does the inside look like?

Regards to all,

J

Kentucky Blues

A-List Customer
the inside is yelowish....and yes, it is kinda fuzzy...made me think it was wool at first, but its not ;) and I'm thinking it's either 50's or 60's, 'cause I have another one almost exactly like it in black (not fuzzy) that has a slightly shorter brim, and a welted edge rather than a cav edge. And the liner has kinda the plastic thing on the top, though its not like other hats....its clear, but feels kinda...vinyl-y or something:confused:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy