Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New vs. Second-hand

Moe_Dante

Familiar Face
Dear all,

Let me start by extending my sincere and profound "THANK YOU" to all and each person in this forum. I started off as a total ignorant - and still, but to a less extent- regarding the craftsmanship of leather jackets. I really love leather jackets, like really xD., but never could afford a high-quality one, let alone that I did not know what a high-quality leather jacket is.

Yet I have to admit that I am personally and, as a matter of principle - not trying to take the moral high ground- totally against buying "new" leather goods, even though I am not on a vegetarian diet. It has to do with the fact that the market is already oversaturated with enough goods. Just a side note, I am against buying any clothes brand new except for underwear ( but that goes without saying).

Of course, hunting for a jacket that fits is no easy job, and each one has a peculiarity when it comes to fit. One can argue that a leather jacket is an investment for the long run, which might justify it, which is a fair argument ( not that anyone has to justify anything to anyone). But that is a whole different thing cause I would argue that there is a threshold when it comes to prices and after a specific price point, one is paying for the "name" not for the quality. But again, it is your money, so you can do whatever you wish.

I have been playing with the idea to see how much one can earn if one were to trade-in a high-quality jacket for a store credit in order to finance a new purchase, which "could" close the gap and somehow pave the way towards a more sustainable and circular economy for "luxury goods". I contacted 5 leather jacket makers like a couple of weeks ago ( based on the knowledge regarding brands from you guys) to try to figure out if they would take-in second-hand leather jackets made by them in return for a store credit.

I only got one reply from Aero leathers, and they said they offer a max of £300.

Do you guys think this is a fair price? again that is the max they offer.

would love to hear your thoughts on the topic.

Moe

Mich486

One Too Many
Considering an Aero new is now around £900 give or take, it’s on the low end of acceptable for me. It is what it is, they’re business so they are reselling it for a profit and they need to price it with a sufficient gap compared to a new jacket. I did that once at the same time of placing another order. My jacket was in very good condition and I think to remember I got that amount of money you’ve been quoted. I’m not gonna do that again.

It might take a little longer to sell it yourself but unless you are in a hurry and don’t want to deal with the selling process you’ll likely get a bit more than £300 either here in the classifieds or on eBay.

Edward

Bartender
You'll never get the full second hand market value for a jacket on a trade in - nor would it be reasonable to expect to. As with second hand cars, the company taking the trade in is doing so in order to resell it themselves, and thereby make a bit of money on top of covering their costs (which will be more than simply the cost of to them of purchasing your jacket).

On the plus side, what you WILL gain in dealing with a company like Aero this was is:

- a trusted buyer who you can be sure won't try and rip you off
- a guarantee they'll actually pay you what they say they will
- you get to keep everything they pay you - no eBay "final valuation" gouge, which can be significant
- If you wear an unusual jacket size (v small, or much larger than average), things can take a while to shift on eBay - Aero are offering you a reliable buying offer here
- a lot less hassle overall

If you're really keep to keep it all in used/ already existing goods, then a good option would be to trade in against a jacket in Aero's used / sale / Blue Label / Apprentice Made lines. Obviously that does rely a lot more on something being available in your size, but those will reduce the price gap a noticeable degree against buying a full-on new Aero.

I think it's worth considering. I'd have a look at ebay and get a feel for what the equivalents jackets are shifting for - comparable design, comparable sizes. Completed listings, mind - those will give you much better idea of real selling prices (vs asking prices). Then you've got an idea of what is possible (but not guaranteed) going that route, after which you can then decide whether the potential difference is worth the hassle.

Leigh H

Practically Family
You’re best selling your jacket on a market place and putting that money towards a new jacket.

There’s no circular economy in taking back a product they have sold and providing you with store credit, they’re left with a used jacket and less profit margins making a new jacket for you.

Unless they created a line of jackets that have been regeneratEd from the materials of the used jackets.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
You're definitely better off selling it yourself. I'm surprised they even offer that option. I don't think most brands would. Even so, you'll get more money selling it yourself even if it will likely take longer.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Selling it yourself is usually more profitable than trading it in.
However, you also have to have the nerve to sell. I hate selling things and I am a bad seller. So if I don't care about every €/$ and the difference is not too high, the trade-in service can be very pleasant.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
It’s a fair offer in that’s a hassle-free service. Aero themselves have nothing to gain by buying back something that they’re usually trying to sell, so look at it from a customer-care perspective.

You will make more by selling yourself, but don’t expect a huge windfall. On the downside, you will face all the challenges of selling in an unregulated environment. Some find that fun, some a nuisance.

Like @MrProper I am not selling to make a huge profit but rather to free closet space and give somebody else the opportunity to re-love a good product. That’s why I only sell here, as I wouldn’t be keen on dealing on a more anonymous forum.
I re-sold to Aero twice, and although I honestly don’t remember what they paid, I was absolutely content with the terms.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana