Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New William Lennon Derby Boot - Singular!

mattfink

Practically Family
The William Lennon boots have intrigued me for a while now....glad to get some feedback on them.

marineabilly

A-List Customer
I am not happy. Not happy at all that I found this thread. Never heard of these boots and they look pretty damn awesome! I'm not happy becuase I'm getting ready to order a pair of White's Semi-Dress. The good thing, though is the cost of these boots. I can still get these and not feel bad about getting the White's.

jimmer_5

Practically Family
marineabilly said:
I am not happy. Not happy at all that I found this thread. Never heard of these boots and they look pretty damn awesome! I'm not happy becuase I'm getting ready to order a pair of White's Semi-Dress. The good thing, though is the cost of these boots. I can still get these and not feel bad about getting the White's.

I almost PM'd you because I thought these looked like your style. The price is definitely right on 'em. Although, like you, I also want to get a pair of Whites or Nick's Boots. And probably a pair of brown Wesco Boss boots. Crap.

The only thing I don't like about the Lennons is that it feels almost like they dip a bit under my arch - there was plenty of room inside of mine, so I am experimenting with insoles. It might just be that they are new and they have yet to conform to my foot. I'd like to find some insoles that help with the arch support, but other than that I am very happy with the boots.

jimmer_5

Practically Family
I forgot to mention that the other boot arrived today. It came two days after the first boot, weirdly enough. I will post some pics of the pair soon.

I will also give some commentary on the fit and comfort as soon as a I actually get a chance to wear them around.

eClairvaux

One of the Regulars
jimmer_5 said:
The price is definitely right on 'em. Although, like you, I also want to get a pair of Whites or Nick's Boots. And probably a pair of brown Wesco Boss boots. Crap.

I suffer from the same condition.

I've got three pairs of White's, though no Semi-Dress (yet), the Wesco Boss and the Lewis Westway and still ordered a pair from Rufflanders/William Lennon last November. The delivery has been postponed because of some shortage of supplies (or so they say), but they should arrive soon.

I'll write a review and comparison when they're in.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Lennon's does occasional factory sales if you're ever in the area.

I have worn their boots for years and they've always given good service.

The Shepherds Boots have a very pronounced spring that takes some getting used to and they make your ankles bleed at first but they calm down in a few hundred miles and don't seem to wear much.

Edward

Bartender
I'm most impressed that they went to the trouble of sending you the boots separately in order to keep postages costs down.... That's real attention to detail in customer service, imo.

drewg

New in Town
Does anyone have a direct email address for William Lennon? I have tried using the contact form on their site a few times now, but there has not been any response.

Thanks

H.Johnson

One Too Many
I passed their place last week and they were definitely working, even though the weather was bad. I know those guys and they do things in their own time. They don't really get with email, the WWW and stuff.

I like that...

drewg

New in Town
I certainly appreciate the historic atmosphere there, but I need sizing assistance from them before I order. I fear that their contact form on their site goes to an address rarely checked. I was hoping to get my questions answered via email rather than placing an international call...

jimmer_5

Practically Family
drewg said:
If anyone has an email address for them, please PM me. I am trying to get sizing info for the derby boot before I order.

thank you

Drew -

I'm pretty sure that I sent them an e-mail through the website. It took a few days to get a reply though. Try e-mailing dan@williamlennon.co.uk
Dan was very helpful.

By the way, they have two colors of leather that they can make the Derby in - Mid-Brown Latigo (dark tan) or Dark Brown Latigo (the darker brown color that my boots are. I also asked for mine to be made two inches taller than standard.

As sizing goes, I got mine in a UK 12 - I normally wear a US 13. Mine had enough extra room in them that I was able to add an insole, but this has been a goot thing in my opinion. The boots come with just a leather insole, so a little extra padding makes them feel a little more comfortable.

Anyhow, I hope this helps - I'll have to post some newer pics of mine as they are breaking in nicely.

- Jim

drewg

New in Town
Thanks Jim. I have heard they run wide. I just tried on a pair of Red Wing Iron Rangers US11D with tube socks and the fit width fine (I just didn't like that Lil' Abner toe). What is your experience with width? I was hoping to get them in the "tan waxy leather" of their 178 style, but yours are awsome and will age even better!

jimmer_5

Practically Family
drewg said:
Thanks Jim. I have heard they run wide. I just tried on a pair of Red Wing Iron Rangers US11D with tube socks and the fit width fine (I just didn't like that Lil' Abner toe). What is your experience with width? I was hoping to get them in the "tan waxy leather" of their 178 style, but yours are awsome and will age even better!

Drew -

I think they run a little wide - not as wide as an "E" or a "EE" width, but definitely a little wider than a pair of Chippewa's or Frye's in the same size and a "D" width. I apologize, it's hard to explain fit in words.

The best decription I can give is that there was enough room for a thin pair of foam insoles form an old pair of Dr. Martens, and now the fit is just right.

drewg

New in Town
All info is appreciated. I just do not want to wait 5 weeks and they not fir, then hae to spend $45+ sending them back...
I am replacing a 12 year old pair of original Docs. They were a little wide too in the beginning. I soaked them and walked them dry and they have been the go to ever since.
I am awaiting their response...

thanks again

mattfink

Practically Family
I wish I'd seen this before ordering....worst shipping practice I've ever heard of. I just got one boot in the mail and calculated the cost of shipping both based on the single boot's weight and it would have been 35 pounds to ship. The boot is very nice, but I'd much rather have a pair to wear...

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Matt - For what it's worthm I got both of my boots, and they are fantastic. I emailed them when I received the single boot becuase I honestly thought it was a mistake. This was their reply:

Hello Jim,

The other boot was sent at the same time! If we send them as a pair, the air freight is over £50.00 because the parcel exceeds the 2Kg 'small packet' weight limit.
The leather is 'Dark Brown Latigo' (it should polish darker) and the one in the picture you sent is 'Mid Brown Latigo'.
We have to use a different half sole on the larger sizes.

Regards

Dan

Shipping to and from the UK is really expensive, and one of my least favorite things to do. The shipping adds a significant amount to the cost of the boots. They're worth it, but it has always bothered me that it costs so much. One of these days I will order another pair of William Lennon boots. In the last 6 months I have bought several pairs of amazing American made boots (White's / Nick's / Wesco), so my next pair of William Lennons is on hold for a while...... or at least long enough for my wife to get over my recent splurge!

Last edited:

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I'm tempted to take a drive down to their factory one of these days.
Do they customise? (within reason). Example: if you want the boots abit higher, or in a different colour (ie: tan instead of 'dark brown'), is that something they'll do within the price?
I also like the idea of the smaller lace holes (rather than the large brass rings showing on the front.

If you can't answer, not a problem, as I'll drop them a line anyway :) nice boots!! and good to see an old family firm riding the recession with old-time boots.

Last edited:

mattfink

Practically Family
They did customize mine a little...I got toe caps without perforations. I'll take some pics when the other boot gets here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou