Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newbie looking for some advice

BrewCrew

New in Town
I'm new to the Lounge and hats in general and could use some advice. I want to get a custom like one of Art's, something I can wear with semi-formal clothing. I seem to keep buying hats that aren't quite right. This is me in my acorn fawn Akubra stylemaster, 2/5 inch brim and short crown:
http://s291.photobucket.com/albums/ll285/ctbrew/?action=view&current=IMG_0005.jpg
ctbrew

I took a shot of me with and without glasses because I'll be getting new ones soon.
This was my second hat, having learned from my charcoal Banjo Peterson that I don't look good in a really dark hat or a flat brim, it was too "outback" so to speak, and I can see I need a higher crown on the hat. I never wear a suit, but often dress in slacks, vests, and button down shirts. What I'm looking for is suggestions on hat color (I'm leaning towards a mid-brown color), brim width (2 1/2? 2 5/8?), and a style that will fit my face. I like the style of this one very much:
http://www.vintagesilhouettes.com/limited_edition/HST.htm
All advice would be greatly appreciated! Finding this site was like finding water in the desert. :D -BrewCrew

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
For casual attire like you're describing, I think something like the HST--the Stratoliner/Open Road style--would be just the thing. If you're planning on ordering from Art he will be able to give you a lot of good suggestions, including sending you felt swatches of what he has available. You might consider his 'natural' color, which is highly versatile.

Welcome to the Lounge.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Welcome brew crew! You should send those pics to Art, he is great about working with you and coming up with something you will love! I have his Granite color ( my favorite hat) and dark moss. The granite seems to go with everything for me so far.:D The HST is a good looking hat too.

univibe88

One Too Many
That HST is a great hat. Art can surely work with you to tweek it so it is perfect for you. I would suggest sending Art several pics of yourself wearing as many different hats as possible. He'll be able to size a hat just for you.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I would recommend explaining to Art what you've explained in this thread. He can be very helpful.

For the crown height issue, if I may suggest a 5 1/2 open crown to start. It's a healthy sized crown to test the tall-crown waters. Some people find 5 3/4 a bit much to digest out of the blue.

In the end, trust Art. He will guide you to absolute hat-joy.

Stoney

Practically Family
I agree with all of the above. Contact Art Fawcett, Jimmy Pierce or another custom hatter of your choice. If you read through some of the posts on custom hats, I think you'll find a great deal of respect for Art Fawcett's work and there are several folks that like Jimmy Pierce's work as well.

I might add that you may want to consider a 2 1/4" brim to start with. Most fellas can get comfortable wearing one that size and work their way to wider brims. The 2 1/4" brim may also look better on you when wearing casual clothes, as compared to the 2 1/2" which looks wide on you to me. Everybody's facial shape and hat size differs a bit and IMHO you need a narrower brim for an every day hat, again at least to start with.

BrewCrew

New in Town
Gentlemen thank you for your replies. Sounds like contacting Art directly is the way to go. I won't have the cash for a couple months though, I did order a Metropolitan from Ken at Camptown. Seeing how that one turns out size-wise will help a lot I think in deciding what will be my next hat. Ken recommended a 2 1/2 dimensional brim after he looked at the pics of me I sent him. I'll post pics when I get it. Thanks again! -BrewCrew

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner