Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newbie saying Hello

db5zx

Familiar Face
Good day, ladies and gentle people!

I just joined this forum a few day ago and spent the time since then browsing here. Great source, I must say! But now to myself:

My name is Jens, I am 26 years old and live in Germany. I have been interested in the American lifestyle of the 30's and 40's for quite a while, but it really got me about a year ago, when I was able to get my hand on a 1941 Speed Graphic Anniversary Edition 4x5" camera (I am very interested in photography, as well). By now, I own two of these beauties incl. flash as well as two Bell & Howell 16mm film cameras (and projector) and two Bell & Howell 8mm film cameras (and projector). This little collection of mine became a proxy, so to speak, to start collecting information about the entire lifestyle of the era. I love the way people dressed back then (especially the ladies ;-) ) and I would love starting to dress that way, too. It is just so much classier than what is called "fashion" these days. Sadly, I am not yet very knowledgable about period fashion (especially fedoras and other types of hats, since they sadly seem to have died out long ago :-( ), but hope to learn a lot here. From reading here the past few days I seem to have come to the right place.

One thing I found out already is that me being in Germany seems to be the biggest problem for vintage American fashion. Does anybody in here happen to know where I could start looking here in Germany (or Europe, at least) ? Of course, thanks to the internet, I could also order in the US, but that would make S&H sooo much more expensive.

Thank you for your precious time and I hope to learn a lot here...

...Jens

Joedahat

New in Town
Vintage styling

Hey Jens, About 18 years ago, The German Hat Manufacturer named Mayser did make a style called the Foulard. This hat was a nice quality fur felt in the same styling of the US hats from the 40's - 50's. Full crown & wide brim. Many of our hat cleaning customers also bring us hats from the local thrift store or consignment shops. I don't know if you've got the same type of shops there. These are excelent spots to pick up bargains. good Luck.
Joe

Wild Root

Gone Home
Welcome to the lounge! I am happy to hear that you want to start dressing in vintage fashions! To find original clothes it helps to meet others over in your area who know their stuff! I have a few friends from Europe and they tell me that most of the US vintage is shipped over to England, France and other countries in Europe. There is a weekend getaway in Switzerland in June I think. I can get the info if you would like. This weekend thing I speak of is going to have people from all over Europe that drive vintage cars and dress in vintage clothes. They would be happy to help you out in finding the goods you need! There are some good shops in France from what I understand. Lots of 30’s and 40’s clothes!

If you want to get a good idea of what the stuff looks like and how it was worn, you should watch old movies over and over again! Look at old catalogs and just start to immerse your self in the period.

If you have any questions, please let me know since I have many connections in the vintage clothing world over here. I will say one thing, the bigest part of the vintage look is the hair and makup! You can wear just about any out fit that has a period feel to it if you put the time into the grooming.

All the best,

Root.

PS. Here are some images to help you out.
This page is from a mid 1930's catalog.

spring1934cottondresses2.JPG

db5zx

Familiar Face
First of all, thanks for all the information and the help you offered! I guess now I am busy for the next few weeks trying to get my stuff together. :) That is, if I don't spend all my money on old cameras again ;-)

Jens

db5zx

Familiar Face
Oh, by the way, Root, thanks for the catalog page, but I'm not into cross-dressing ;-) Jens is a male name. But don't worry, that happens to me quite a bit online. Many people think it is some variation on Jennifer or something while actually, Jens is the Scandinavian version of John, and if you take my entire name, Jens Schmidt, and translate it into English, it would be John Smith. I guess I have to thank my parents for being so creative back then, eh? :)

Jens

Wild Root

Gone Home
Hahahhaha, I'm sorry friend! I just saw your avatar and well I thought, oh man, I'm stupid. :p

Well, I hope the link helped out though. I'll post something for you in that case. I'm not into cross dressing my self as well.

Auf Wiedersehen,

Root.

Here is a swell photo of Gary Cooper! A good start.

gary-cooper02.jpg

db5zx

Familiar Face
Root,

As I said: Don't worry about it, you were not the first, and most likely not the last :) And yes, that link helped me a great deal, very informative site.

Jens

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails