Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newbie's new hat, and can use sizing/fitting advice!

Mulceber

Practically Family
In general, I agree with everything Corky and TheRealDrew said - I think a taller crown would probably suit you better. This one, I think slightly exaggerates the size of your head. Also, don't rule out custom: there are some really nice custom hats that don't cost $400-$600: Art Fawcett's tend to be right around $300 while TonyB, iirc, charges $275. Both are 100% beaver, so you'd be getting a first-rate hat. -M

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Mulceber said:
In general, I agree with everything Corky and TheRealDrew said - I think a taller crown would probably suit you better. This one, I think slightly exaggerates the size of your head. Also, don't rule out custom: there are some really nice custom hats that don't cost $400-$600: Art Fawcett's tend to be right around $300 while TonyB, iirc, charges $275. Both are 100% beaver, so you'd be getting a first-rate hat. -M

Ditto.

--flute

Griff

New in Town
Hey -

As far as size goes - don't know where the hat came from but I ordered a Stetson from an on-line store and measured 23in around my head. The store's size chart showed I should wear a 7 3/8 hat. Got the hat and it was too big. I called Stetson and they told me the store's chart was wrong and I should be in a 7 1/4 hat. That could be your problem. You could contact Stetson and talk with them. The customer rep was very friendly and very helpful. Stetson contacted the store and they are sending me another hat.

Wildblue

One of the Regulars
All input much appreciated, fellas.

Griff, the hat came from Amazon.com. I might take you up on that suggestion and talk to Stetson directly.

It's interesting to me, that with a big noggin like mine on a tall person, you guys would actually suggest a TALLER crown. Seems counterintuitive to what I would naturally guess. I would think that would just make the overall appearance even bigger, no?

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
Actually the taller a person is, the taller the crown can be. Likewise, the broader his face, along with shoulders and center mass, the wider the brim can go. It's the contrast between the head/body and the hat that makes it appear all wrong.

An good example of totally getting it right was Abe Lincoln. He was very tall for the day--6'4"--but quite thin. That's why the tall, narrow-brimmed top hat looked so good on him. The hat dimensions reinforced his physique. (He certainly knew the psychological impact the top hat had, too, as it made him appear even more imposing alongside political debating foes, for instance, Douglas.)

The hat you got is OK, but to match your tall, broad-faced, wide-chested self, a tall-crowned, wide-brimmed fedora would look better. An Akubra Fed IV, sold only by HatsDirect.com, would be an excellent choice for your next dressy fedora. It comes as an open crown measuring about 5 3/4 inches high with no taper, and a dimensional brim--2 3/4 in. front and rear, 2 3/8 in. on the sides. Both the light gray moonstone and mid-brown colors are very nice shades. Bash it as you like; it's not difficult, and there's plenty of advice here on how to do it.

You mention you might want a more casual hat, as well. I'd suggest an Akubra Bushman, with an untapered 5 1/2-in. open crown and bound-edge 3 1/4-in. snap brim. Again, bash this hat as you wish. Though it comes with a skinny grosgrain ribbon band, davidmorgan.com sells a half-inch-wide hand-braided kangaroo leather one they call the no. 859 Ridge Braid Hat Band that looks terrific on the nullarbor tan Bushman.

Don't feel bad about the hat you already got. It's fine, but if it takes you only one hat to learn what shape looks best on your head, you're way ahead of most of the rest of us here!

Wildblue

One of the Regulars
Great, I'll take a look at those. To compare proportions, this is a pic I posted in another thread. Just got back from a Hawaii vacation, and found this Montichristi panama in Newt at the Royal in Waikiki. Really liked the hat, and the proportions seemed right. Would you guys agree?

This one was 7 and 3/4, but as you know, Panamas are not rigid--much more flexible, so it conformed better to my head than the Stetson Temple. (please excuse the lower quality pic, I just snapped it off in the mirror at the store real quick)

IMG_2838.jpg

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
You play the "book him, Danno" role quite well!

As for the panama, there is no bad Montichristi, and yours looks sharp. Yet, like the felt Stetson Temple, you'd look even better in a straw with a taller crown and wider brim.

By the way, did you go to the Don Ho memorial? I hear it's more popular than the U.S.S. Arizona.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran