Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

**NEWS EXTRA**Good Wear flying jackets take vintage authenticity to new heights!!

CBI

One Too Many
Aero Leather’s Real Deal A-2 is a great looking jacket. The fit is VERY different than the Goodwear A-2. John (GW) patterns it after the originals that could best be described as slightly pear shaped. Form fitting in the arms, shoulders and chest and more roomy in the belly. Aero Scotland (at least with their jackets I have worn) goes for a more present day straight or slightly triangle shape – board shoulders, thin waist. It looks cool but not historically correct. Old pilot photos show with many contracts/makers a more “tubby” look in the belly – just a little but not a popular cut today. Have to get back to you in re the armholes? I need to get my camera fixed (a minor thing) before I can post pics. Sorry

Rufus

Practically Family
I must admit to having never wanted an A2 before... but I've read so much about GoodWear, and read so many glowing reviews of both John, and his work, ... I am now very tempted!

I've checked out his website, and it's very nicely designed giving you plenty of pictures, and it's easy to compare hides and jackets quickly... something I've never felt confident with from Aero, LW, Real McCoys, and Eastmans.

I've owned jackets by all of these makers, and always been disappointed by details, and/or cut.. (Particularily arm holes.. as sadly most collectors seem to be..err 'Larger' gentlemen.. and I'm not!!)

Well.. I think I see a purchase heading my way..

It's just a pity that all high end/high price tag makers won't be as accommodating.. Still their loss is GoodWear's gain!

:) Rufus

CBI

One Too Many
My New Goodwear Aero Part 2

th_IMG_3535.jpg

CBI

One Too Many
My New Goodwear Aero A-2 Part III

Sorry guys and gals. Still learning the photo ropes. Go to "My New Goodwear Aero Part II". My second post has a link to the Photobucket file. I hope this works.

Here is my new Goodwear Aero 21996 with 18775 pockets. I also opted for knits that were not the traditional Aero Red. Aero did use brown knits. These are faded brown. John takes brown knits and dyes them with a little bit of yellow. The stitching is OD in color and the actual thread itself is about 50 years old. The Talon zip is original WWII stock. See “My New Goodwear Aero Part I” thread for other details. As authentic as I wanted it to be, my favorite contract is the Aero (due to its unique fit) but I prefer rounded pocket bottoms so I guess I fell of the wagon just a bit but there are Aero’s with rounded pockets. I WILL TAKE SOME OUTDOOR PHOTOS WEARING THE JACKET AND POST THEM. I wanted to get a few pics on to show the grainy leather – GREAT!!! If you like a smoother, “straight from the Quartermaster” look, John can do that as well. His website lists the leathers but he also gets other types in. I am 100% happy with this jacket, a first for me in regards repros. I have spent the money on the other guys (ELC, LW, RM and Aero) so I feel my own pain! I have had a chance to see 3 of “The Few” jackets in person as well. GW is it for me. As someone else said after getting his GW A-2, “this jacket cannot be improved upon in any way”. In terms of total authenticity GW is it in my opinion and I used to own many originals. Anyone remember Leather’s and Treasures on Melrose Street in West Hollywood, CA? They sold many originals to the studios, a great place to shop! I will get the try-on photos hopefully tomorrow. The authentic fit/drape is what really sets GW apart from the rest. Don’t mind the chit photo, that’s something else. IF YOU ARE READING THIS AND HAVE NOT PURCHASED AN A-2 BUT ARE THINKING OF IT, GET IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, GET A GOODWEAR (IN MY OPINION)

CBI

One Too Many
Sorry guys and gals. Still learning the photo ropes. Go to "My New Goodwear Aero Part II". My second post has a link to the Photobucket file. I hope this works. (thanks for getting the photos on to the site!)

Here is my new Goodwear Aero 21996 with 18775 pockets. I also opted for knits that were not the traditional Aero Red. Aero did use brown knits. These are faded brown. John takes brown knits and dyes them with a little bit of yellow. The stitching is OD in color and the actual thread itself is about 50 years old. The Talon zip is original WWII stock. See “My New Goodwear Aero Part I” thread for other details. As authentic as I wanted it to be, my favorite contract is the Aero (due to its unique fit) but I prefer rounded pocket bottoms so I guess I fell of the wagon just a bit but there are Aero’s with rounded pockets. I WILL TAKE SOME OUTDOOR PHOTOS WEARING THE JACKET AND POST THEM. I wanted to get a few pics on to show the grainy leather – GREAT!!! If you like a smoother, “straight from the Quartermaster” look, John can do that as well. His website lists the leathers but he also gets other types in. I am 100% happy with this jacket, a first for me in regards repros. I have spent the money on the other guys (ELC, LW, RM and Aero) so I feel my own pain! I have had a chance to see 3 of “The Few” jackets in person as well. GW is it for me. As someone else said after getting his GW A-2, “this jacket cannot be improved upon in any way”. In terms of total authenticity GW is it in my opinion and I used to own many originals. Anyone remember Leather’s and Treasures on Melrose Street in West Hollywood, CA? They sold many originals to the studios, a great place to shop! I will get the try-on photos hopefully tomorrow. The authentic fit/drape is what really sets GW apart from the rest. Don’t mind the chit photo, that’s something else. IF YOU ARE READING THIS AND HAVE NOT PURCHASED AN A-2 BUT ARE THINKING OF IT, GET IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, GET A GOODWEAR (IN MY OPINION)

GW's prices are about the same as the premium ones if not a bit lower depending on what type of leather one chooses. This is Bonanza Mesa Steerhide. I emailed and called John Chapman. He is FUN to talk to and man does he LOVE jackets. Gotta be nuts about them to start your own company! The jacket took about 2 and half months to arrive. It would have been sooner but John had not gotten some other hides for other jobs done before mine. I gave him my measurements and the jacket measurements from my ELC RW1401 and an Aero Real Deal A-2. I also took photos of me wearing these jackets so he had lots of references in regards my fit.

CBI

One Too Many
I really enjoyed my Aero Scotland Real Deal A-2 but the cut/drape just didn't seem right. It looked like a modern jacket. The jerky horse hide was/is very cool. I understand Mark Moye (great guy - by the way!) at Aeroleather USA is no longer selling A-2's - that’s very telling - maybe? Aero's look great but a number of details just don't seem to be there. An interesting aside, I purchased 2 Real Deal A-2's exactly the same size. When I tried both on side by side, the sizing was very different, one snug, the other, too tight. Both were sold on eBay to happy customers. The most telling part for me about getting the GW is that I DON'T want to immediately buy another one. I think that's 100% satisfied. An extra bonus is that I really like the fact that its a one man, private venture, I feel great supporting John's work. Not that the other premium folks are mass producers but where else can you order a jacket and have it actually made by someone who is so "nuts" over getting it right. In fact, how many people can one say that about ..................... period!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Management Note: Just stitched these together (VERY nice jacket!!)

Just done it, but thanks for reminding me;) Don't you just love the grain on that baby!!:eusa_clap And...those toned down knits in brown just 'dooooo it' for moi!! Brian, you KNOW you want one, just pull the trigger and get it out to Dublin ASAP!! You're a long time dead gents, so if you feel you can afford it, go treat yourselves to the type of jacket you can hand down through future generations!!;)

Mr. 'H' said:
Hey CBI, I got your pictures up on your other thread:

http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=26140

Maybe the bartender will stich the three threads together....

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Beautiful jacket CBI and I'm with Paddy, the grain is superb.

I don't think you'll be taking that jacket off for quite a long time!

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
PADDY said:
Just done it, but thanks for reminding me;) Don't you just love the grain on that baby!!:eusa_clap And...those toned down knits in brown just 'dooooo it' for moi!! Brian, you KNOW you want one, just pull the trigger and get it out to Dublin ASAP!! You're a long time dead gents, so if you feel you can afford it, go treat yourselves to the type of jacket you can hand down through future generations!!;)

Thanks Paddy, it will be easier now for others to read the thread.

Unfortunately I am only "windowshopping" for the time being!!!

:p

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Mr. 'H' said:
I've never looked into Goodwear. How do their prices compare to Aero?

Aero's top end jackets are around $800, that's what John's are with shipping if you get the cowhide. Which you can see is fantastic. His goat and horse are another $100. So they are very close in price, but with a big difference in authenticity.

I have an Aero Real Deal, I've just posted some pics of it in another thread. I too love the jacket and the leather, but for the money John's are just miles ahead. Aero, for some reason just doesn't want to update their patterns to reflect a more accurate repro. Their Bronco pattern is just way off. Plus they use generic pocket flaps on all their contracts. They only have 2 that they use. The Real Deal and the Anniversary are the same and all the rest use the more scalloped flap. That is just one of many details that John makes an effort to get right, as you can see in the thread on his different pockets.

And for the record, I never felt like I got "shafted" because I bought my Real Deal. Whoever was the kind soul who told Mark Moye that I said that, perhaps next time you should look at the context of what I said before you start to mis-quote me.

CBI, that jacket is a gorgeous. Whenever I see pics of the Goodwear's and then compare them to other vendors, they just stand out. John has certainly raised the bar on authentic A-2 reproductions.

It will be a few months before I get mine, your pics are greatly appreciated.

fedoralover

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner