Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

**NEWS EXTRA**Good Wear flying jackets take vintage authenticity to new heights!!

CBI

One Too Many
Its my understanding that some of the other repro companies think that the more custom approach will be less of a money maker hence them being set in their ways. Some have been asked up front about offering jackets like GW, the response has been that its not part of their business model. I think in the end, its going to hurt those folks. On the other hand, John is a one-man band and he can only make so many jackets. Its worth the wait. Glad you will be getting your jacket soon fedoralover.

PS - I liked my Aero Scotland too.

PSS - If it wasn't for the other maker's, John would not have started his own company. He will tell you that he was frustrated with the repros he was purchasing (as many of us have been) so he decided to make them himself.

SamReu

One of the Regulars
Spokes Man

CBI, I tip my hat to your fabu. GW Areo. I got the same thing a couple of months ago in the English pub coffee. Same knits as yours, too. It was not quite as grainy out of the box as yours, but it is developing more character every day I wear it. I intend to keep this one.

Folks, if you are thinking about tossing some cash at a serious repro A-2, call John Chapman. He is a pleasure to work with, a genuinely nice guy, and boy, does he know his flight jackets.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
SamReu said:
CBI, I tip my hat to your fabu. GW Areo. I got the same thing a couple of months ago in the English pub coffee. Same knits as yours, too. It was not quite as grainy out of the box as yours, but it is developing more character every day I wear it. I intend to keep this one.

Folks, if you are thinking about tossing some cash at a serious repro A-2, call John Chapman. He is a pleasure to work with, a genuinely nice guy, and boy, does he know his flight jackets.

SamReu, is this one yours??

front_view.jpg

fedoralover

Jacob Dubow

Familiar Face
CBI said:
I really enjoyed my Aero Scotland Real Deal A-2 but the cut/drape just didn't seem right. It looked like a modern jacket. The jerky horse hide was/is very cool. I understand Mark Moye (great guy - by the way!) at Aeroleather USA is no longer selling A-2's - that’s very telling - maybe? Aero's look great but a number of details just don't seem to be there. An interesting aside, I purchased 2 Real Deal A-2's exactly the same size. When I tried both on side by side, the sizing was very different, one snug, the other, too tight. Both were sold on eBay to happy customers. The most telling part for me about getting the GW is that I DON'T want to immediately buy another one. I think that's 100% satisfied. An extra bonus is that I really like the fact that its a one man, private venture, I feel great supporting John's work. Not that the other premium folks are mass producers but where else can you order a jacket and have it actually made by someone who is so "nuts" over getting it right. In fact, how many people can one say that about ..................... period!

Hey CBI........where did you get the information about Mark Moye not selling Aero A-2's any more??? That is news to me. Did you hear about it from a reliable source?

J.A. Dubow (aka Ted)

CBI

One Too Many
I did hear from a reliable source and I just checked Mark's eBay site and sure enough, no A-2's for order (there is one that's up for bid but its not a pre- order). I guess you can still order them directly from Scotland. I don't know why the situation is as it is. I would imagine if the demand is there that he would be selling. I always had great customer service with Mark.

Juanito

One of the Regulars
One of the above posters is right, I have found Mark's customer service to be very good, but there are so many technical inaccuracies in the jackets that I find it hard to call one a reproduction, where I think they would be better called a loose interpretation (backward seams, single weave cuffs, pockets that aren't even close in proportion, and a cut that in no way resembles an original "Aero" A-2, for example).

Personally, I would find it hard to want to offer superior customer service with a sub-par product--in fact, that is why I stopped selling W&G jackets in the early 1990's.

Don't get me wrong, I have owned an Aero jacket, and the quality and workmanship were first rate as were the materials, however, as another poster described it, I was only about 85% happy with the jacket as a "contract" reproduction A-2.

CBI

One Too Many
I agree, Aero makes GREAT jackets. In terms of their A-2's they are wonderful looking jackets perhaps better known as being "loosely based on originals"

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
CBI said:
I agree, Aero makes GREAT jackets. In terms of their A-2's they are wonderful looking jackets perhaps better known as being "loosely based on originals"

And for me that's the rub. The top vendor's advertise them as if they were exact copies of the original contract A-2s. The quality of construction and materials is seldom the issue, but most folks who shell out 800 smackers and up to over a grand for one of these babies want some authenticity for all that cash. It appears that only John Chapman has approached the degree of authenticity that most folks have wanted all along.

fedoralover

Mike K.

One Too Many
Amazing jacket CBI, absolutely amazing!!

I need to hold off until after the holidays for my jacket order. By then John expects to have his new batch of horsehide in stock. Pending the horsehide arrival I am considering the Capri Chocolate steerhide - very close to the Bonanza Mesa on CBI's new jacket. I'm also debating between the Aero 21996 and the Dubow.

Regarding the Aero of Scotland jackets, I've always been a big fan despite their inaccuracies. My biggest gripe however is the variation in size among jackets of the same marked size. For example, between my former Aero Scotland jackets and measurements from others, a size 42 varies as much as 2 full inches across the chest (just for the 15142 contract). That's a full size difference and it really makes getting the right fit difficult.

Question - Is the rust knit color accurate on Aero of Scotland A-2 jackets?

CBI

One Too Many
Yes, the Capri Choc Steerhide looks great! The Red Aero knits are pretty close to the originals in color. I prefer the brown knits that Aero used as well in WWII. I was originally going to get John's Dubow but in the end I went with the Aero because I think it has a more “pre-war” fit. Aero's are pretty form fitting in the shoulders, chest and arms and then a little blousy in the belly. The Dubow always looks to me like the most modern of the A-2's. They seem to have the most contemporary fit. I always did hoursehide until this one from John. I am very happy with it and MANY A-2's from WWII are not HH. So many jackets to make back then and seeing as how a company would get 2 jackets from 1 hourse, a lot of other types of hides were used. There are also written records specifying that diff. types of leather could/were used.

CBI

One Too Many
Oh forgot, I had mentioned in an earlier post that I had 2 Aero Leather Scotland Real Deal's both size 44 that were actually very different in size fit!!!!!!!!!!!

Estevan

One of the Regulars
Fletch said:
He's probably sick of American customers complaining that the shoulders droop too much.

Can't say that I blame him...Lot's of self proclaimed A-2 know-it-alls on other BBBs drove him to it I'm sure.

jake431

Practically Family
Fletch said:
He's probably sick of American customers complaining that the shoulders droop too much.

They do droop too much, at least compared to originals of the same size. Still, he most likely just doesn't want to get burned eating the customs costs on jackets that likely as not get returned for a different size over and over again by obsessive jacket nerds when he can make a fine livelihood selling their excellent moto and utility jackets without all the nitpicking that goes along with flightjackets. Certainly I can't blame him.

-Jake

CBI

One Too Many
I guess one option if folks are very curious is to ask Mark himself. It might be a touchy subject for him since he still sells Aeros. Someone on the VLJ site states that Aero Scotland is still making A-2's and wants to "upgrade" them. Maybe Aero can come forward with some official comment. For me, I have no plans on any other Aeros. I think I can say I have all of the jackets I need now but I am still interested in what other folks are getting and I love seeing at what's out there. Maybe I will spring for another Goodwear someday, John's new A-1 looks amazing!

rick54

New in Town
jacket

CBI, I'm glad to hear you love your jacket. I also have talked with JC, and have a jacket being made as we speak(should be close to being done). Mine is pattern 21996 also.
When I first talked with John, I asked if he would send samples of his leather, which he did. Being unsure of my size and wanting things right the first time to avoid hassles, I asked if he would be kind enough to send a jacket close to my size. Well, he didn't have a complete jacket, but he did have a(for lack of a better description) shell which he immediately sent out to me. No lining or finished cuffs or waist on the shell. This proved to be too small, and when I sent it back, I included a beat-up jean jacket which fit to a tee as his pattern! John said he'd have no trouble working from this old jacket.
I can say this about John, he's a great guy to talk with. Anybody that is willing to go the "extra mile" in sending out great leather shells to determine fit, leather samples and all the extra effort he went to, is unheard of these days!
There is no doubt in my mind that when my jacket comes that I won't be 100% satisfied with it. Therefore, I can't help believe that if you get a jacket from John, that your getting anything less than the best. I don't think they're under priced or over priced. You're going to get what you pay for.
My only fear is that I hope my two sons don't take too much of a liking to my new jacket, especially with the new brown Fedora I just received from Graham Thompson.
There is a time when a man has to cut the apron strings and force the boys to get their own jackets!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot