Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nice CC41 Suit

Ben Stephens

One of the Regulars
Are they that bad? From what I can see, a few invisible mends, and the pocket repaired, you would not notice the faults. However, the stain, although as Baron says easily removable, does somewhat put you off!

Kindest regards

Ben

Looks to me like some serious mothing hidden under that folded fly …

cfly_006.jpg=600

And it looks like that side seam pocket has bad fraying:

http://thmb.inkfrog.com/thumbn/bookster1uk/ct2_028.jpg=600[/img

The arm needs to be taken up at the cuff to fix the fraying. Hope those aren't working cuffs, or this is very difficult in this case.

[img]http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/bookster1uk/ccuf_050.jpg

The hole on the arm is a reweave job - I'd say British Invisible Mend would charge about £120 for that one. But the pocket rip into the jacket body fabric is a serious concern:

cdam_006.jpg=600

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Say, do british sellers (in general of course) take more liberties in describing their items? I bought a green college blazer and "some moth damage here and there" means the moth did a freakin massacre on it. It's like I imagine machine gun damage or something. Needs a cleaning? What for? It's a rag. I wouldn't even call it a blazer anymore because it wouldn't do it's purpose. It's passed on! This jacket is no more! He has ceased to be! He's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! He's a stiff! Bereft of life, rests in peace! If you hadn't pinned 'im to the dress form he'd be pushing up the daisies! His metabolic processes are now history! He's off the twig! He's kicked the bucket, he's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!! THIS IS AN EX-BLAZER!

Hh sorry for the rant. I hate getting waiting (for what I believe to be a nice addition to my wardrobe) and get something like this. :eusa_doh:

:fish:

I'd have to see pictures. I would imagine that "some moth damage here and there" could cover quite a bit, even serious amounts, of mothing. I certainly wouldn't buy something described as such without seeing detailed pictures of all the damage.

I admit that English can be a very nuanced language, but "some moth damage here and there" might suggest quite a bit of mothing to a native speaker reading an eBay listing. A few small holes would be described as such or "nothing worth talking about really" or something to that effect.

bk

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
No, wasn't hogspear this time. It was rather cheap too but unwearable. Pictures were blurry. Yes, it mentioned the moth damage and I propably gambled because I was hoping for a bargain.

Don't take my postiung too serios. I just will be more careful in the future. [huh]

Ben Stephens

One of the Regulars
I had not noticed that on the fly Baron. You are very right. It is though a very unusual fabric. I have seen some quite badly suits have mediocre repairs on them and they look fine, I think what the eye doesnt see etc.

Kindest regards

Ben Stephens

One of the Regulars
I agree with you HBK, now I have studied it on my work screen, which is much sharper.

As for sellers, yes, a certain seller using good condition for age. What does that really mean, if you went and asked a person on the street what condition a 75 year old suit would be in, I am sure, even quite extensive damage would still be seen as good condition!

Buyer beware I suppose. Like the suit I bought the other week. Lovely jacket, just, the trousers did not match, at all. They were much latter, and the fabric could only be described as similar.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Say, do british sellers (in general of course) take more liberties in describing their items?

no, i don't think it's a specifically Brit thing. there's no excuse for shoddy descriptions. if the description sounds a bit vague i always ask if there is any moth damage, other wear or nasty surprises (odour). the experienced sellers such as Savvy Row always describe all the defects. i don't understand sellers who poorly describe items; they're risking getting negative feedback. why risk it ? just be clear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo