Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Noob sizing question, comparing Schott to Aero/Vanson/Real Mccoy

leathersizor

New in Town
My problem is time constraint, i need to buy a stock ready jacket and not order a custom one.

Do Thedi have a clean jacket like the board or j100 ones?

The ones ive seen all have an extra stitch or patch on the shoulders or something, which bugs me for some reason. I like when the leather is all one clean piece :D

Will look into Lewis, never heard of the brand before

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yeah, I just realized that after clicking on the link,t hey're referring to it as a Buco style which is... A bit strange but that's okay. There was one in Germany a few years back, I regret not getting it. It didn't have the patches, too. But I didn't have the money at the time.
Probably referring to the American Safety Buco from 70s

leathersizor

New in Town
btw what does "reserved" mean on the aero website?

Is it sold and just awaiting payment clearance? Or is there a decent chance itll be available again

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up

Something like this?

20211127_215108.jpg
20211127_214616.jpg
20211127_212934.jpg
20211127_174553.jpg

Aloysius

My problem is time constraint, i need to buy a stock ready jacket and not order a custom one.

The ones ive seen all have an extra stitch or patch on the shoulders or something, which bugs me for some reason. I like when the leather is all one clean piece :D

Will look into Lewis, never heard of the brand before

My thinking was an Aero Board Racer and a Thedi/Lewis of a different type, still spending less than one RMC.

But your use of the word “need” makes me wonder. Why not just order the Schott CAF1? It’s in stock, on sale, and an extremely high quality jacket.

leathersizor

New in Town
Think two more weeks and you could have ordered a custom from Aero ;)
My last one took just 4 weeks including delivery. Ordered on 25.11., delivered on 22.12.
Haha yeah im making a mess of it. Problem is im ordering to another country coz mine is fucked up with deliveries and such, so im ordering it to a friend whos coming end of january. Thats why i cant do fit jackets and returns etc… aero website said 8-10 weeks to make the jacket so i couldnt risk it

@Kuro thats a sleek back! Jacket is awesome but my psychologically damaged brain couldnt handle the patch stitching around the pocket

leathersizor

New in Town
My thinking was an Aero Board Racer and a Thedi/Lewis of a different type, still spending less than one RMC.

But your use of the word “need” makes me wonder. Why not just order the Schott CAF1? It’s in stock, on sale, and an extremely high quality jacket.
Is it?

It just didnt look as good in pictures for some reason. The aeros and even vansons looked much better.

For some reason a lot of these leather brands take bad website pictures

Aloysius

Is it?

It just didnt look as good in pictures for some reason. The aeros and even vansons looked much better.

For some reason a lot of these leather brands take bad website pictures

None of these companies, including Aero, started out as retailers. Schott has a few shops now and all three have direct order websites, but the businesses were built on dealer networks (where people could try on and see the product). Generally speaking they don’t have the resources for the kinds of photo shoots and things that a mass market product will have.

It looks like the vintage example, complete with a leather that wears almost identically, so you can look at this picture of @Marc mndt in a vintage one as a reference.

Brandrea33

One Too Many
I thought all jacket makers tell you to measure a good fitting jacket that you own and select their “tag size” from those measurements.

Maybe I’m wrong, but that more or less works for me.

leathersizor

New in Town
Yea i think we might bearound the same size. I never wear my jacket zipped up, itd be a close fit if i did but i like that feeling of snugness. For example i like the phase when the leather is stiff more than when it breaks in

When you go up in size what do you do with the shoulders?

do you go for custom that have same shoulders as the 38? Or do the higher shoulder sizes of the 40 not really make a difference?

newtojackets

Practically Family
Yea i think we might bearound the same size. I never wear my jacket zipped up, itd be a close fit if i did but i like that feeling of snugness. For example i like the phase when the leather is stiff more than when it breaks in

When you go up in size what do you do with the shoulders?

do you go for custom that have same shoulders as the 38? Or do the higher shoulder sizes of the 40 not really make a difference?
I think my shoulders are more of a 40 anyway, so that usually works for me (the RMC J100 in 40 fit me perfectly in the shoulders). For me the main challenge is the waist / hem, where a 40 is often too big, but the slim style of the J100 seems to negate that

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112