Northeaster Flying Togs Beck Jacket

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Boxstergirl, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Boxstergirl

Boxstergirl New in Town

Hi

Hope I can find some more info about this jacket. From the research I have done, it appears to be a Beck 666 RS. Im curious about its age. I was told it was late 40's to early 50's. I was also told it was found amongst various vintage military uniforms. The main zipper is a FLASH zipper and the sleeve zippers are six inch SERVAL zippers. IMG_7526.JPG IMG_7527.JPG IMG_7529.JPG IMG_7531.JPG IMG_7532.JPG IMG_7533.JPG IMG_7535.JPG IMG_7537.JPG IMG_7534.JPG Since it doesn't have the Talon zippers I'm not sure of its age. I have found some vintage clothing with FLASH zippers from the 40's and that the zipper I believe is British. Wonder if the jacket made its way to the UK at one time and was replaced. It has two RAU nipple snaps on the collar. There is a size tag in the right chest pocket. The lining appears to be rayon and it is worn out on the bottom and I was able to take a pic of the inside construction of the jacket. It appears to be made of two types of leather which may explain the different patinas. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

ton312, dannyk and Jin431 like this.
  2. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

The earliest ad I've seen for a Beck 666 was from December 1965. I'm not an expert, but as far as I know Schott made them, and they don't go back as far as the 40s or 50s. I think that Flash zipper pull is an add on. They are indeed a British zipper maker.

dannyk likes this.
  3. Boxstergirl

Boxstergirl New in Town

Hey Handymike thanks for the info. I had a feeling that the jacket was from the 60’s. I can’t find any info earlier than that on this style. I did see it in a catalogue from the 60’s. I wonder if the lining is older and the jacket newer (?) The sewing around the collar is rather funky. I thought maybe they had just reinforced it since it is deteriorating. Funny you mention Schott since I wrote to them and they suggested I come to this forum for more information. Perhaps they didn’t want to give me bad news. lol. Regardless, I do love the jacket and it certainly has some age to it. If it’s from the 60’s that’s cool too :)

4. Dumpster Diver

Dumpster Diver Practically Family

NICE TIMEWORN PATINA!!!! WOW!!!

5. Boxstergirl

Boxstergirl New in Town

Yes the jacket has a gorgeous patina. Could it have been used for flat track racing? I just had another look at the lining. I have to be careful with it since it is quite fragile. It looks like the neck was opened up to add a loop for hanging, hence the funky stitching. Done by someone not so skilled in sewing. The other areas of the lining look professionally sewn. I’m thinking whoever may have replaced it did an excellent job. Judging by the wear, this lining has been in this jacket for a long time.

6. marker2037

marker2037 A-List Customer

If the lining is shot, I would consider having it replaced by Deena, salvaging the tag of course as that's in good condition it seems.

Killer jacket though!

7. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

Boxstergirl likes this.
  8. ton312

ton312

I believe @handymike is correct with regard to the date. These were made up until the mid to late 70’s, if memory serves, with the later jacket bearing the Beck-Arnley tag. The focus of the later years being automotive parts distribution. Really sweet early example here. Rarely see the tags looking that good.
    The company still exists today:
    https://www.beckarnley.ca/about.html
    500CCB64-2EB2-4FD4-8D6B-38F2762B6C4D.jpeg

Boxstergirl, marker2037 and dannyk like this.