Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nostalgia Owners

frussell

One Too Many
I'm getting a Stetson Nostalgia in Caribou grey sent to me from an outlet store. I know there have been threads on these in the past, but I wanted to hear from owners who have had one for a while. Looks great open, but are owners still satisfied with theirs after some wear and tear? Be brutally honest, if its a crummy hat, I'd like to know before I start rubbing my little hands together in anticipation. I've got a V.S. 100% beaver, and two Akubras and a few others to compare to, including a Pinnacle, and a Temple I recently returned. How does it compare to other hats out there now? Any photos of this model after being used would also be appreciated. Thanks a bunch, Frank.

Mickey D

One of the Regulars
I too have ordered a Nostalgia in Caribou two weeks ago. I hope to hear from others as well. I understand it comes open, so I will have my local shop steam and bash to my liking.

frussell

One Too Many
Got It

Came today. I should have taken photos of it open crowned, because it looked like a giant derby, or a bit like the Mad Hatter in Alice in Wonderland. I've bashed it, and am wearing it while it dries, to avoid sweatband shrinkage. First impressions, great-looking, love the wide ribbon, felt is not as good as my Akubras, in terms of bashing without leaving little wrinkles here and there. Contrary to prior posts, I found no more taper in it before or after bashing than my Fed IV. It's a keeper, but I'm happy I paid less than retail. When you get up around 7 3/4 long oval, even the less wonderful ones become keepers. All this hat knowledge here at the Lounge, and my VS have made me more finicky about felt quality than I used to be. To the non-hat-freak-eye, this is a good looking hat. I like the fact that it came with the brim curled up all around, like the photos on the other Nostalgia threads. Made me look a bit less like the Quaker Oats guy than some of my other flatter brims. All in all, I got exactly what I paid for. Frank

barrowjh

One Too Many
Snap Brim

A snap brim should curl up all around, that's what gives it the 'snap' when you bend the front end down. Its a brim that will not lay flat.

frussell

One Too Many
Yes

That's what I was looking for. I've had some trouble with a few unbound brims wanting to uncurl, especially since I'm always having to stretch some of them. I prefer a snap brim on everything fedora. Thanks, Frank

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
Stetson Nostalgia Wear and Tear Update

Thought I’d resurrect this thread, since it's here, with a question.

I need to pick myself up a new formal high, open crown hat for the fall, and not being a fan of dimensional brims, it seems the Nostalgia is the way to go.

I’ve read the posts, searched through the thoughts and comments, heard the plusses and minuses, but one thing I haven’t come across is a recent update on how the Stetson Nostalgia is holding up for folks wearing it “long-term,” (relatively speaking).

Of course I might have missed it, but if not, I’d love to hear how things are going for a few of you Nostalgia owners a few years down the line if you’re willing. Is it getting a workout as one of your favorite modern hats, or does it just stay in the closet?

- B.J.

frussell

One Too Many
Not That Long, But...

I've only had mine as long as this thread has been here, but it remains my go-to hat. I wear it nearly every day. It's soft, the sweatband is comfortable, and the dimensions are just right. The felt could be better, it holds a bash well, but is not as dense or "tight" as some vintage and custom hats. They are not always easy to find, but I got mine sight-unseen from the Garland outlet store, at about 1/2 of the price of retail. It came open crowned, and I wish I had taken a picture of it before I bashed it. It really was tall and straight, just like I wanted, with almost a reverse taper before bashing. I can't speak to how it would hold up to adverse weather, because I've never worn it in our unfrequent rain. I do love this hat though. I'd recommend it. It's on my head right now. Frank

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I got mine last November

And I love it so much that I ordered a brown one, now. It's the one I wear every day, and is gray (caribou?). I have deliberately thrashed it because I like that a hat that appears to have "been there, done that." I wore it in a major rain storm last year, totally got it soaked, but it still looks great. The color didn't run, it didn't wither, etc like the horror stories you hear. I can't wait til the brown one gets here.

You can order them from Sterling Leather. They show them in stock, but actually Stetson makes them one-at-a-time, after you order. You'll get an email telling you all this and asking if you still want to proceed with the order. I'm glad I did.

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
Thanks for the advice

Frank, Blackthorn, many thanks to you both for your input. You’ve provided me with just the information I’ve been searching for some time for. I think I’ll order myself a brown one to start with.
-- B.J.

Tone

A-List Customer
Sure would be great if the Nostalgia wasn't their only option. Unlike the FED IV, however, the Nostalgia at least seems to know which hat it wants to be.

Will Stetson make an open-crown with some different brim specs anytime soon?
Seems no matter what crown they use for their fedoras they go and stick the exact same brim dimensions on one. [huh]

Hope there's a "Playboy" revisit in the works.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tone said:
Sure would be great if the Nostalgia wasn't their only option. Unlike the FED IV, however, the Nostalgia at least seems to know which hat it wants to be.

Will Stetson make an open-crown with some different brim specs anytime soon?
Seems no matter what crown they use for their fedoras they go and stick the exact same brim dimensions on one. [huh]

Hope there's a "Playboy" revisit in the works.
For that matter, why don't they revive the vintage Open Road and its sister products?

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Neophyte said:
worthlesswithoutpics

OK, here you go:

IMG_4119.jpg

Brando11

A-List Customer
OK- after reading all the posts and admiring the photos, I've put my cash on the barrelhead for a new Caribou Nostalgia. Got it from the Garland outlet at quite a bargain.
2 weeks ago, btw, they had one in stock but wouldn't sell it to me because it was too soft to hold a crease, apparently manufactured without enough stiffener in the mix. Didn't want an unhappy customer. I like that kind of old-fashioned attitude.

Last edited:

frussell

One Too Many
The outlet is actually under the Resistol name. The phone is: (972) 494-0337. I still like my Nostalgia very much, but I'm glad I didn't pay retail, because I suspect mine is like the one described above that was too soft. The felt on the crown of my Caribou (beautiful color, one of my favorites) wrinkled ever so slightly when I applied a light spraying of distilled water for initial creasing. This only happened on the crown, and my opinion is that it happened because the felt there was not "dense" enough, and the loose felting caused it to shrink and ripple just a bit when the moisture hit it. Not a major flaw, and it's my most comfortable hat. I'd love to see more open crown offerings from Stetson, especially an Open Road. Frank

Brando11

A-List Customer
I wish they did have a website. As it is, you have to call them with a specific request and they run to the back to see if they have it stock.
Extremely helpful, though. I asked if they could crease the hat for me before they shipped it to me here in Chicago, and they said, "Well of course- we're a hat shop!" They didn't understand my request for a "C" crown either, but they knew what I meant when I said to just crease it like a Whippet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy