Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

not made for walking

dr greg

One Too Many
Found this pair of what I assume to be flying boots, can anyone date them for me? The Lightning zipper speaks old to me.....
bd50003.jpg

bd50002.jpg

bd50001.jpg

andy richards

Practically Family
For certain Flying boots, but not sure about age... Does a FL member knows more about the Vibram sole? Maybe that will give you some more information. I thought WWII Flying boots had a front zipp and leather sole, but I could be wrong...
Andy

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I'd say flying boots, some features are reminiscent of British military flying boots but I'm fairly certain these are not as they are not 1936, 1939, 1940, 1943, etc Pattern flying boots. Vibram has been around since the 30s, and I would place these as 40s to 50s.

These could be civil, private purchase boots rather than military issue but that's just my guess.

ron521

One of the Regulars
I also think they look like motorcycle boots, the lining indicates that they were intended for cooler weather. The location of the zipper is the most logical place for excluding spray on a motorcycle.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Smithy said:
I'd say flying boots, some features are reminiscent of British military flying boots but I'm fairly certain these are not as they are not 1936, 1939, 1940, 1943, etc Pattern flying boots. Vibram has been around since the 30s, and I would place these as 40s to 50s.

These could be civil, private purchase boots rather than military issue but that's just my guess.

http://www.vibram.us/products/default.asp - sounds like a very interesting company!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Puzzicato said:
http://www.vibram.us/products/default.asp - sounds like a very interesting company!

An interesting company alright Puzzicato and their soles are very good and long-lasting. I've got some hiking boots which I've stomped round Norway and NZ in and they are still in great nick.

Although I have to say that the soles on some Norwegian army boots I have are even better, virtually untouched after a number of hunting trips in Norway and lots of wear in the height of winter over there. Simply bulletproof.

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
They look more like British Army mess dress wellingtons to me . Although the vibram sole wouldn't be right. I assumed most biker boots from that period had kickstart plates as there was no electric start and the old bikes never started first kick !

Charlie74

Familiar Face
I have a pair that look similar of British miltary motorcyle boots dating from WWII. I tried them on in an army navy surplus store and had to buy them when I could not take them off

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The shape of the top says riding boots (horse or bike!) to me and with this particular style of lightning zipper they may date from the 1940s.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Smithy said:
An interesting company alright Puzzicato and their soles are very good and long-lasting. I've got some hiking boots which I've stomped round Norway and NZ in and they are still in great nick.

Although I have to say that the soles on some Norwegian army boots I have are even better, virtually untouched after a number of hunting trips in Norway and lots of wear in the height of winter over there. Simply bulletproof.

My hiking boots have vibram soles as well - but when I bought them I assumed it was some sort of new-fangled high performance thingy. lol

Hmm, well, I just pulled 2 pair of Lightning zippers out of boots made yesterday. Morlands, that sheepskin company in Glastonbury use deadstock 40s-50s era Lightnings still today. They must've gotten a giant load of them in at some point in the 40s or 50s. Great for Irvin sleeve zips.

The danger of dating on the evidence of ornamentation alone.

bk

p.s. I'm not saying these are not old; just saying that the zipper only gives you an earliest date.

aswatland said:
with this particular style of lightning zipper they must date from the 1940s.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sure the zipper gives the earliest date and of course should not be used conclusively to date the boots. The design on the sole is typical 40/early 50s so they are most likely either 40s or early 50s production boots for riding a horse or a bike.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I'm not convinced these are riding boots. From the pics they look too short to be, you'd have trouble with the saddle scraping and the possibility of it even pinching your leg riding in these.

I rode quite a bit when I was younger and I wouldn't want to horse ride in these.

I don't know enough about motorcycle boots to make the call but I suppose that's a distinct possibility.

jon z

One of the Regulars
As the soles are made by the British company Slazenger & have a reg. design no. I'm sure if you contacted them they'd be able to help with dating. A manufacturer of sports equipment & apparel but being around through WWII it's certain their production facilities would have been used for the war effort. Maybe these boots are an example of what they produced for the RAF?

Here's a link to Slazenger's history http://www.slazenger.com/about/about-slazenger

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana