Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nothing but Seamed Stockings

birdiepie

New in Town
Daisy Buchanan said:
I just found a set that I really like. I will PM the link to you since it may not be appropriate to post. I also found that Target has a set, in about four different colors, on sale for $8.50! They are plain looking, but still quite nice. You can't beat the price. It might cost you more to make them, but then again I don't know anything about sewing

It's silly but I can really spend a whole lot of moola on the Vermont Country Store catalogue... I even bought my fiances Christmas gift from there (a long flannel nightshirt, with matching nightcap--- very "Little Nemo" and old-timey!)

If it's not too much to ask, could you PM me the link to the set that you liked as well? I'm always on the lookout for appropriate drawers!

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
No, problem. I'll PM it to you right now. I just got the set in the mail, and am surprised at how well made they are. They are quite lovely. Did you check out the ones from Target, they were really well priced, plainer than the other ones, but still quite nice.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Just so you both know why, they changed the rules slightly, and you now have to have 15 posts under your belt (garter or otherwise :cool: ) before PM's become active for new members.

There were some problems and so they adjusted this recently.

Post once more (hopefully about something vintage) and you are set.

Daisy Buchanan

I just got the sets I ordered from Target. They are pretty nice, but a little too modern. But, nicer than trying to by used ones from the 30's, ugh, I can't bring myself to do that. I found another set, but they are quite pricey so I'm gonna have to pass on them.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Fully-Fashioned Stockings

speaking of Target...I've gotten really into costume jewelry lately (I'm liking a lot of what I have over my real stuff) anyways....even though it's not vintage...I got a couple of earing that have the vintage look...but very affordable.:cool2:

Daisy Buchanan

ff stockings, pretty reasonable

I found a site that sells FF stockings for 10 dollars. From what I've seen this is a pretty reasonable price, and the site is pretty PG 13. They are under the link for accessories.
<Sorry! The link was edited due to content in site. You can PM Daisy if interested in link.>

decodoll

Practically Family
They aren't real fully fashioned like the ones at Magnolia. Notice how the seam doesn't go through the top welt? There will always be a loop at the top of real fully fashioned stockings. Also, they have lycra in them. Real fully fashioned will be 100% nylon. :)

Here's a picture of the loop. :)
3975tau.jpg

magneto

Practically Family
decodoll said:
They aren't real fully fashioned like the ones at Magnolia. Notice how the seam doesn't go through the top welt? There will always be a loop at the top of real fully fashioned stockings.

One thing I've wondered...Does the loop have a purpose, anyone know? Or is it just a relic of bygone manufacturing techniques? :)

decodoll

Practically Family
This is what it says about the loop on the Touchable hosiery site:

Every stocking is seamed by a machinist. To finish seaming the stocking top, called ?¢‚ǨÀúwelt?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ is turned 360 degrees which causes the distinctive ?¢‚ǨÀúfinishing loop?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ at the top of the seam. After this they are dyed to the correct colour.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
gotta love the see through inflatable plastic furniture in the back! Haha!

Great info, Decodoll, and a good illustration :)

decodoll

Practically Family
Lauren Henline said:
gotta love the see through inflatable plastic furniture in the back! Haha!

Great info, Decodoll, and a good illustration :)

Yes, isn't it lovely? I would have decorated in all inflatable furniture myself if it weren't for the kittens. :p :p :p

Tabitha

New in Town
I just want to thank you ladies for this thread. I ordered some rago girdles and stockings from girddlebound. I LOVE them. They were so nice and helpful there. It was just what I needed to finish my 1940's look. The dresses just didn't look right. But they do now!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points