Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Novice questions: Christys/Fed IV/Garrison

Shirley Films

New in Town
I wonder if anyone could give me some advice. I am a novice when it comes to hats, and I have a few questions.

I own a Christy's Adventurer (with an Indy bash). I actually really like the hat. But it has been through hell (lots of outdoor use) and I wish to get a new hat (or two).

One of my issues is that I have a very small head/face.

Some time ago, I read somewhere (here, I think) that Christy's could customize their hats. This appealed to me because I had hoped to order another one taking a few centimeters off of the top (my "Indy" seems slightly too tall).

However, they do not seem to offer the Adventurer online anymore... and there is no retailer in my country. The folks at Christy's informed me that I could go through a retailer in Wales, but... being in the USA... I think that might be a significant added expense in terms of shipping.

I have been looking at Akubra Federation IV (hatsdirect.com)... which seems like the best alternative to the Christies. I have also been looking at Garrison Hatters' fedora. Does anyone know how these hats compare to the Christy's Adventurer? Can any custom measurements be requested on these hats?

I am hoping to get 1 black and 1 brown... but it looks like the Garrison only comes in brown. Anyone have anything (good or bad) to say about the Fed IV in black? Or the Garrison?

Also, about sizes in general. My Christy's is a size 7 1/8 US. I don't know if my head has shrunken since I got it, but it seems tight on me now. Does this tend to happen with leather bands? Should I add an 1/8 (or more) the next time I buy a hat? .... Also curious if hat sizes are consistent between brands...?

I probably have more questions. But I know this is an obnoxious post already. Anyway. Thanks in advance to anyone brave and friendly enough to chime in. Any advice is welcome.

-SF

Mulceber

Practically Family
The Garrison is a custom hat, so if you can afford it, by all means, it's the way to go. IIRC, I've seen some hats made by Garrison that weren't brown, so I'm pretty sure he can do it. In any event, the felt supplier he uses can certainly make black felt, so that shouldn't be a problem.

With regard to sizing, the issues you had were because the Christy's hats are (no offense) not made of very good felt. All hats shrink to some degree, and eventually whichever hat you choose will need to be reblocked, but the felt of Christy's hats is especially prone to shrinkage/tapering. I'd just go with your natural hat size.

On sizing, hats are like shoes: some brands run a little big, some a little small, but they mostly run on the same system of measurements. -M

Last edited:

trestiton

New in Town
Hi Mulceber ,
I dont know if I am correct ( I never was in a forum before) but I would ask you about Garrison hats .
You told that they are " Custom Hats " : intrigued by your speech I visited the Garrison Website but it is particularly thin , no dimensions , no presentation of products , no decription of felts used or elements of difference bet. Riders and Cairo models . . .
Certainly G. hats are of the best quality , but a visitor should have the possibility to make their triangulations . Do you can share something about your experience with Garrison hats ?
I am available to reciprocate as I can with equal kindness .

Trestiton

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Garrison serves a particular customer base of Indiana Jones fans, most of whom already know the dimensions of the Raiders hat; 5 1/2" open crown, 2 3/4" x 2 1/2" dimensional brim. Certainly these can be modified in discussion with Mr. Garrison.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I've never ordered a hat from Christy's or from Garrison Hatters, but I have two Akubra Federations, and they are top-notch hats. You can shape the "Fed," as it's called, in Indy-style or any of a number of ways. It will stand up to weather and hard traveling quite nicely.

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
SF, as a Wales resident myself, I would be intrigued to know what retailer they are recommending? I used to use Top Secret Hats for my "Swerford" modified Adventurers but unfortunately they stopped taking orders for these a few weeks ago. I suspect that if Christy's are doing customisations, it is probably through retailers only, as it was when I did my first (and last) individually customised order.

Shirley Films

New in Town
Thanks for the help, everyone.

SF, as a Wales resident myself, I would be intrigued to know what retailer they are recommending? I used to use Top Secret Hats for my "Swerford" modified Adventurers but unfortunately they stopped taking orders for these a few weeks ago. I suspect that if Christy's are doing customisations, it is probably through retailers only, as it was when I did my first (and last) individually customised order.

The folks at Christys recommended I check out Tails & The Unexpected, in Wales. I glanced briefly at their website, and they do have the Adventurer. But I think I am going to go ahead and try the Fed IV, standard (in black actually) and see how I like it.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Check out http://www.advintagefedora.de as we in the US don't have to pay VAT of 19% it is like getting free shipping.

The old Hornets could/would custom Christy's for ya', but they & their successor are gone.
The guys at advintage seem quite nice (never done biz w/ 'em, not yet, anyway)

They have good prices on Christy's.

That said, an Akubra is the way to go, if choosing between the two, IMO.

Thanks for the help, everyone.

The folks at Christys recommended I check out Tails & The Unexpected, in Wales. I glanced briefly at their website, and they do have the Adventurer. But I think I am going to go ahead and try the Fed IV, standard (in black actually) and see how I like it.

Mulceber

Practically Family
Hi Mulceber ,
I dont know if I am correct ( I never was in a forum before) but I would ask you about Garrison hats .
You told that they are " Custom Hats " : intrigued by your speech I visited the Garrison Website but it is particularly thin , no dimensions , no presentation of products , no decription of felts used or elements of difference bet. Riders and Cairo models . . .
Certainly G. hats are of the best quality , but a visitor should have the possibility to make their triangulations . Do you can share something about your experience with Garrison hats ?
I am available to reciprocate as I can with equal kindness .

Trestiton

Sorry it took me so long to respond. Anyway. Garrison's site is on the sparse side precisely because he is a custom hatter: there aren't any models to present because he will simply make the hat YOU want. If what you're looking for is an Indiana Jones hat, he'll likely be doing the standard Indy specs as JLee said - a 5 1/2" crown and a brim that is 2 1/2" on the sides and 2 3/4" in the front and back. If you want a different style, you can either describe it or provide pictures and I'm sure he'll be able to provide. I've only bought one hat from Garrison Hatters, but it was exactly what I was looking for and I'm really pleased with how it turned out. He's also a really nice guy. -M

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy