Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Now Forming! the Campaign Hat Corps

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
1909-1912_Briscoe_3.JPG

Here are some interesting looking campaign hat styles. This old photo belonged to my great uncle Briscoe Brown (in the photo with his back to the camera and a check mark over his head). Great uncle Briscoe joined the Army in 1909 and served until 1912. He served a second enlistment during the War from 1917 until 1919. This is the only "campaign hat" photo I have of him.

Jedi5150

Familiar Face
View attachment 150823

Here are some interesting looking campaign hat styles. This old photo belonged to my great uncle Briscoe Brown (in the photo with his back to the camera and a check mark over his head). Great uncle Briscoe joined the Army in 1909 and served until 1912. He served a second enlistment during the War from 1917 until 1919. This is the only "campaign hat" photo I have of him.

Awesome photos, and a family history to be very proud of. Thanks for sharing!
The very narrow pinched center crease with side dents, as seen in the first photo, seems to have been a very popular style. When you see photos of Australian soldiers in WWII, their slouch hats are almost always in that style.

Jedi5150

Familiar Face
^^^^there’s a reason they are worn just like that but i don’t think you know the special handshake fella.
B

I'm sure there's a reason, but I agree with David, I don't care for the look. I do admit that it looks more professional, when a uniformed person wears it that way, but it still looks a bit goofy to me. The best way I can describe it is like the furry hats the guards wear at Buckingham Palace...professional, yes...good looking, no. :D

I'm sure there's a reason, but I agree with David, I don't care for the look. I do admit that it looks more professional, when a uniformed person wears it that way, but it still looks a bit goofy to me. The best way I can describe it is like the furry hats the guards wear at Buckingham Palace...professional, yes...good looking, no. :D

Have you tried wearing a Beefeaters’ hat while fly fishing? Not an easy thing to do, but you do get a lot of real estate to hang your flies on to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
IMG_20190116_201110_576.jpg

I got this Spanish American War era (reproduction) hat back in the 1970s. It served me well for many years and a lot of hard miles on the trails through the mountains. I "retired" this hat well over 25 years ago, but decided to get it back in service. I wore it on a nice long hike today. Except for the sweatband being almost non-existent, it's in remarkable shape for a hat it's age. I don't know how many more miles are in it, but I'm going to get as many as I can out of it for as long as I can.

View attachment 152428

I got this Spanish American War era (reproduction) hat back in the 1970s. It served me well for many years and a lot of hard miles on the trails through the mountains. I "retired" this hat well over 25 years ago, but decided to get it back in service. I wore it on a nice long hike today. Except for the sweatband being almost non-existent, it's in remarkable shape for a hat it's age. I don't know how many more miles are in it, but I'm going to get as many as I can out of it for as long as I can.

I love a well-used hat with lots of honest miles on it.

My philosophy is that old hats don’t die, they get sent off to VS for a complete rebuild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Greencanoes

New in Town
20190524_165826.jpg

I have been wearing the original Aussie "campaign" hat for years - the slouch hat, but having joined the Legion of Frontiersmen here in Australia, I've needed to run a proper lemon-squeezer, "mountie" style hat as part of the ceremonial and service dress uniforms.

Here's some pics of my respective headwear...

60660273_427448834701937_846158559321260032_n.jpg

The original and best - a 2005 Mountcastle Australian Army "Hat, Khaki Fur Felt", civilianised by the addition of a WPG RCMP hatband. This one has seen a LOT of country and done thousands of miles on my head.

20190524_165754.jpg

Next up was a bit of a mistake. A new-manufacture, UK-sourced Baden Powell scout leader's hat. It's the right basic configuration, with the "dent" facing the front, and the leather thong hatband is a nice touch, but they cut some corners - the sweatband and hatband are vinyl(!!!) and the brim, which is supposed to be 9cm wide, it only about 7cm as you can see from the photo when compared to a Biltmore hat. I will retain it for field use during bushcraft and bush survival training with the Legion, but for ceremonial use? Not a chance. This hat will end up squashed and bent, and will probably develop a pronounced droop in the brim like the slouch hat has.

20190524_164955.jpg

The real deal - a Canadian made RCMP pattern "Hat, Felt" made by Biltmore in 2011. Biltmore made some 850 of these for the RCMP that year, so this was either one of those, or it was a contract overrun. The hat band was not correct, so I swapped it out for the WPG RCMP hat band which is a good deal closer to being correct to RCMP specs. This hat, fitted with the WPG RCMP hat band and No. 1 staybrite Legion of Frontiersmen hat badge is purely for ceremonial use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana