Now Forming! the Campaign Hat Corps

Discussion in 'Hats' started by deanglen, Aug 8, 2006.

1. T Jones

T Jones I'll Lock Up

Put a ribbon on my M1899-1902 Campaign Hat conversion, (obviously the ribbon and bow work is my own modification. I gave the bow a slight upswoop)....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jswindle2

jswindle2 One of the Regulars

Beautiful work as always.

T Jones likes this.
  3. T Jones

T Jones I'll Lock Up

Thank you buddy. Much appreciated.

4. Redshoes51

Redshoes51 One of the Regulars

I've read here in the Lounge somewhere about actually punching the pattern into these hats... someone even designed a template and had it available for those who wanted it... I have no idea how to search for that...

Edited: Here it is...

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/snowflake-star-vent-hole-template.82749/

~shoes~

5. Cattus Petasatus

Cattus Petasatus One of the Regulars

Looks great. Well done.

T Jones likes this.
  6. T Jones

T Jones I'll Lock Up

Thank you, Cattus

7. Ran across this in my hat hunting:

D30FEF89-0BCB-4835-A7DA-EF8343F776FC.jpeg

8. David Conwill

David Conwill Call Me a Cab

Wow, what an unflattering description.

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  9. T Jones

T Jones I'll Lock Up

A couple more Spanish American War era campaign hat projects in the rough...both have been blocked and sized up, brims have been trimmed, and ready to be put together. The orange hat is a Longhorn Western with a 5 3/4 open crown and with a 2 5/8 brim. The tan hat is a Resistol Western with a 5 3/4 open crown and a 3' brim.

[​IMG]

10. T Jones

T Jones I'll Lock Up

Another of my Stagecoach conversion projects that I based on the M1899-1902 Campaign Hat. It has a matching tan 1/2 ribbon with a double pointed campaign style bow that I still have to sew on. I'll have more later when I finish it...
    [​IMG]

11. T Jones

T Jones I'll Lock Up

Another of my ongoing M1899-1904 Campaign Hat conversion projects. This one is tan with a matching 1/2 inch ribbon and double pointed campaign style bow. I still have more I want to do with it....

The hat is a tan Resistol Stagecoach. It has a 5 3/4 open crown with a 3 inch brim. The crown and the brim are shaped after some old pictures I saw from the Spanish American War era...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Trying to locate Spanish American War era insignias like this. I found some on eBay
    [​IMG]

I went for this sideview profile but without the "clamshell" taper of his hat when viewed from the front. This is an actual Marine Gunnery Sergeant dressed in a replica Spanish American War era uniform
    [​IMG]

I also went with a "cowboy" style curl on the brim similar to the one in this photo from the Spanish American War
    [​IMG]

12. johnnycanuck

johnnycanuck Call Me a Cab

Might as well post this here as well. Smithbilt Scout in a good snowfall. I will have to find a nice belt to put around it some day.
    719685BC-208C-43C0-84CF-B328C2E93E7A.jpeg
    A9CAC4A4-FC34-423C-B62F-DA2453D89FEB.jpeg
    Johnny

13. rediius

rediius New in Town

Just ordered a Spanish American War campaign hat from Dirty Bill's and can't wait for it to arrive in a few weeks. Unlike my Stetson, which has a chinstrap to hold down the acorns and hat cords, how does one keep hat cords on a campaign hat without a chinstrap?

14. Cattus Petasatus

Cattus Petasatus One of the Regulars

Tension will hold them in place. I have some cords on a few hats and I've never had them fall off.

15. 1961MJS

1961MJS My Mail is Forwarded Here

Hi, Mine stay on fine when the hat is on my head, but they tend to fall off when I toss the hat to the back of the car.
    Later