Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nubuk vs leather

NY&watches

New in Town
Hi TFL community. I want to pull a trigger on a jacket and torn between nubuk and leather. I know both are leather but you know what I mean.
Specifically I like schott storm heavyweight nubuk.
What are pros and cons of nubuk? Especially long term?
Ans does anyone had experience with storm model?
Thanks
K

TartuWolf

Practically Family
In my opinion the quality of leather in terms of splitting/cut goes like this from best to worst:
- Full Grain / Roughout
- Top grain / Nubuck
- Split / Suede
- The rest is basically trash
So you're getting the second best when taking nubuck.

Nubuck like roughout has the main pro of being more resistant to scratches and mechanical damage. Maybe not so much resistant, but rather it will not show it so much.
Main con is usually how resistant it is to water/elements. Also what you can put on it (waxing/conditioning/coating) and how much you can shine/buff it.

Hope this helps at least a bit.

NY&watches

New in Town
Given Nubuk is second best why would the prices be as high as full grain leather hides. I always wondered the same for suede. Besides the aesthetics I wonder if there are some qualitative aspects that might make nubuk or suede more preferable than leather.

TartuWolf

Practically Family
Even if we talk about leather (hides, not leather products) there are countless variables that account for the price. One reason some people prefer top grain / nubuck over full grain is the uniformness and lack of imperfections and natural marks. Also nubuck will typically be thinner, more comfortable and flexible than for example full grain or roughout. So nubuck (and suede) is more comfortable and softer out of the box.
Suede is basically a fragile luxury material from my perspective. Lovely and soft, just don't get it wet or dirty. @Modified_last_call made a good point about cleaning.

Personally if I'd ever go for non-smooth leather I would highly prioritize roughout/waxed flesh, followed by nubuck. Would avoid suede at any cost.

cajunfries

Familiar Face
if you condition nubuck with a cream, it becomes waxed flesh tho. similar result with suede.
I'd say get it in either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto