Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nutrition and exercise!

retromom147

One of the Regulars
Fleur De Guerre said:
Oh gosh, Alli, isn't that the one that works by causing you to...um...lose control of yourself if you eat too much fat?? Google says yes! :eek: :eek:
I read that it was Hydroxycut 'cause it was a news report about a year before alli came out...but with all the stuff I am finding about it I'm not going to try ANY diet pill. Besides my husband says we are both gonna go through our own bootcamp and get back into Army shape since I'm no longer exempt from my deployment orders after the baby is born and I need to be fit if I end up going to Iraq.
Whhaaahhh....I don't want it to hurt to look good. I HATE running. 5 miles every morning in about 35-45 minutes running to cadence sucked so bad that now I have shin splints and the idea of running makes me want to cry.:rolleyes: Oh well, the hubby is right. Since the Army and the babies I could use to lose 10lbs and will need to lose more after this baby and my husband wants to get his sixpack back in tip top shape. I assure him it's still there and no the kind you drink eitherlol

pretty faythe

One Too Many
~*Red*~ said:
WOOHOO!!!!:eusa_clap

Yeah, this is what I platued at when I was losing last time and gave up....but not giving up this time, cuz now I really want it and know its about wanting it and life change and all of it. ALL OF IT!!

wannabe40sgirl

New in Town
retromom147 said:
Congratulation Megan! That's awsome! Hope the Holiday's are kind to you...I'm a little worried too 'cause there isn't alot you can do to maintain weight when you're pregnant and I guess the goal is to gain 30-40lbs. Yikes:eusa_doh: But I'll do my best to be good if you will ;)
Hugs

Thank you soo much retromom!!!! I definitely promise to be good! And I don't think you'll have any problems at all losing the baby weight!! YOU CAN DO IT GIRL!!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!!! :D

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
i don't know about y'all, but finals, the holidays, and a vacation have left me with some bad eating habits and a few extra pounds!

starting this week i'm working on:
- riding my bike EVERYWHERE (except school - downtown is a construction nightmare and it's scary) instead of taking the bus/train when it's raining or i feel lazy
- eating less-processed stuff
- not falling into the "i'm at school, this sucks, i'm going to eat junk food to feel better" trap that i did last quarter!
- dancing more! i'm even teaching my boyfriend in order to help motivate ME to do it more often.

what are YOU doing to get out of a winter slump (if you're in one... i can't be the only one)?

Adele

One of the Regulars
I started working out last week (I had stopped for quite some time). My plan is to work out AT LEAST twice a week if not more (but definitely leave a day in between to let my muscle relax and such - I've heard it's good for your muscles).

What I would ideally like to do is join a gym and get a trainer - I sometimes feel like I'm not working out correctly, and I need someone to teach me how. Frankly, there is no point in working out if you end up doing it wrong, only possible injury. I'm scared to see the price though!

Lola Getz

One of the Regulars
what are YOU doing to get out of a winter slump (if you're in one... i can't be the only one)?

You aren't the only one. I spent this past semester studying & snacking, snacking and studying, then snacking some more. Talk about feeling lethargic and gross! :(

A few weeks ago, I decided that all these little non-foods that were sneaking into my life had to GO. I've been eating better but not being militant. If I want a slice of homemade bread with real butter, I'll eat it--but not some high fructose corn syrup-laden object that could survive thermonuclear war. Whatever exercise I was going to do, I decided to do it twice as long--walking, weights, dancing, whatever.

I'm not sure what visible results this will bring, but at least I feel better.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
Lola Getz said:
You aren't the only one. I spent this past semester studying & snacking, snacking and studying, then snacking some more. Talk about feeling lethargic and gross! :(

A few weeks ago, I decided that all these little non-foods that were sneaking into my life had to GO. I've been eating better but not being militant. If I want a slice of homemade bread with real butter, I'll eat it--but not some high fructose corn syrup-laden object that could survive thermonuclear war. Whatever exercise I was going to do, I decided to do it twice as long--walking, weights, dancing, whatever.

I'm not sure what visible results this will bring, but at least I feel better.

*nods* i'm sitting here munching on a very high-fat food - all natural roasted nuts - and i couldn't care less. it's not a freaking snickers bar and cherry coke! i'm too active to eat LESS... i just need to be eating better stuff.

the doing things twice-as-long idea is good - i'm the master of knowing the least hilly routes from any Point A to any Point B in the city, but maybe i need to go out of my way and hit the bigger hills on purpose!

Lola Getz

One of the Regulars
i'm the master of knowing the least hilly routes from any Point A to any Point B in the city

Me too! Or I'll start my weight lifting exercises about 10 minutes before I know I have to go somewhere. Sometimes I'm just too sneaky for my own good! :eusa_doh:

Lil' Miss A

Familiar Face
Well..... i started trying to lose weight before xmas.
I managed to get 2 hours of walking in 5 days a week and lost 4 pounds in weight in the first 7 days, going from 10 stone 7 pounds, to 10 stone 3 pounds.

Then christmas hit and i put the weight on again, plus some, im up to 10 stone 10 pounds and started walking again this week, so fingers crossed it'll be coming off again soon.

The best piece of advice ive been given to weight loss is DONT drastically change your eating habits by dieting, once you go back to eating normally the weight will pile back on again, they key is simply more exercise.

Instead of getting off at your normal bus stop get off a few stops earlier and walk the rest of the way, or walk up the stairs instead of using the lift...little things do add up.

Good luck everyone! :D

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I discovered recently that for £10 a year I can get a card that gives me discount on my local gym and classes there. I also discovered that if I pay for (discounted) induction session at the gym, I can then pay per session, meaning I won't waste money on a monthly membership I might not use. I might only go once a week, but I don't do any exercise that really makes me sweat so even that would be good for me!

So my new year's resolution, buy a proper pair of trainers/sneakers and get inducted!

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I had just lost the 7 lbs that I gained over the summer when I got shipped off to the Netherlands -- the land of cheese and chocolate and pastries...all things I am addicted to! It was so easy at home to lose weight just by not buying sweets and popping in a Lean Cuisine for dinner, but that's just not possible here!

Well at least I'm doing a TON of walking. I'm hoping that will make up for the massive amounts of junk I'm consuming!

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I haven't done a jot of exercise (which will shortly change) but I've lost 6 pounds this year just because I've reverted from eating holiday food back to my normal diet.

I also noted that this year I didn't have to think about how to eat better/more healthily I just did it. Huge change from a couple of years ago when the switch from the holiday binging to normal would have been painful.

Over the past 3 years I've lost quite a lot of weight and I took last year as a little vacation from weight loss (i.e. I didn't actively try to lose but just to maintain what I'd lost). I'd really like to get rid of the last bit this year and be done with it. It's all for the health; diabetes gallops through the women in my family and I'm not getting any younger!

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
Ahh, I'm glad I'm not the only one trying to get out of a winter health-slump.

I'm actually underweight (always have been, no matter what I eat/do), so my goals don't involve weight loss.

I am:
- Enrolled in a Pilates class this semester! I've been told numerous times that Pilates would be great for my body type, and now I'm taking a whack at it. Since it's for a grade and during regular class hours, I have no excuses to skip a class!
- Committing to eating more healthy fats, whole grains, fruits, veggies and [veg] protein.
- About to use my handy Trader Joe's gift card (!!) to fulfill this commitment by filling my dorm mini-fridge and makeshift pantry (closet shelf...) with wholesome, nourishing foods.
- Without a car now (it died), so I'm already driving less and walking more. I wish I was comfortable riding my bike here, but Albuquerque isn't a very safe city for it. I'll certainly use my bike on campus, though.
- Trying to find a solution for my swing-dancing transportation issue. I used to drive there (it's at night in a pretty sketchy part of town). I tried walking there once...horrible idea (three guys tried to pick me up, one drunk homeless guy encounter, and I almost got hit by a truck). I think my school has free swing classes -- I might have to do that until the longer spring days roll around.

Good luck, everyone!

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
pigeon toe said:
I had just lost the 7 lbs that I gained over the summer when I got shipped off to the Netherlands -- the land of cheese and chocolate and pastries...all things I am addicted to! It was so easy at home to lose weight just by not buying sweets and popping in a Lean Cuisine for dinner, but that's just not possible here!

Well at least I'm doing a TON of walking. I'm hoping that will make up for the massive amounts of junk I'm consuming!

When I did study abroad I became terribly addicted to German chocolate and full fat yogurt and I still lost weight from all the walking.

lauwalton

New in Town
I don't even know what I eat..whatever I feel like at the time i guess. I run on average 20 miles a week and do intense PT every morning... I'm in good shape, but the fat still stays!

fernande

Vendor
I don't know about any of you other gals, but I'm a foodie.

Right now I'm pouring over Gourmet magazines "southern cooking" collector's edition, and planning my recipes.

Cooking and Baking, are such a huge part of my life, that even when I noticed I was ::ahem:: gently expanding my size 6 frame.

I knew there was no way I was going to not make the Eggs Benedict or Chicken Fried Steak or Walnut Cranberry bread- so we best eat less or start working out. pronto!

so I guess my husband and I's strategy is to eat less and, then have one big "luxurious" meal a day. and exercise- ALOT,
Like many of you, I really didn't want to buy a gym membership, since I've done it before, and its been a total waste of money-
My husband and I also keep really weird hours (we are both self employed and sometimes up until 5 am, ect)
So we're going to spring for an Elliptical machine. A $1500.00 investment, but I guess we figure, thats a year at a gym in NYC- and we'll have it forever.

I went out and bought one of those "Balance Core training" Balls
(*has anyone used one of these? did you like it?)
and a Pilates mat.

Are there any books or workout videos that anyone would suggest?

I'm determined to enjoy my food. I guess I believe in the whole "French" philosophy- eat the rich food- just in small amounts..

I also bought some Designer Whey Protein in Vanilla Praline- We have started to make little shakes with unsweetened soy milk and some frozen strawberries- Its really great, sweet and satisfying with lots of protein to fill you up. I'd suggest it- Designer protein in my opinion is the best of those "protein powders".

:D

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
I'm definitely a foodie! :)

That said, I just ordered a bento box set. Lately, I've been inspired by the photos from the awesome bento box artists on Flickr who make healthy lunches so appealing!

Here's a nice site with some information on bento box lunches:
www.lunchinabox.net

I got a set with two small bento boxes, a travel cup, travel chopsticks and a bag that holds everything together. I also got a little egg cooker, which is very important for me at school, since the oven in my dorm hall is broken (my requests to have it fixed have gone ignored so far, so cooking is an issue). You just pour the egg into the container, put it in the microwave, and it'll give you a cooked egg shaped like a heart!

I'm a vegetarian, so I plan to fill my bento box with veg sushi rolls, nuts and seeds, heart-shaped eggs (!), cherry tomatoes, grapes and berries, noodles, cheese and whole grain crackers, etc. etc! Oh, the possibilities...

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Ooo the bento box sounds like a fun idea! I got a lunch bag that looks like a duffle style purse, but it's lined so it retains the cold, and keeps food good, makes me excited to plan healthy lunches:D (simple things I know)

Part of my new years resolution is to try some of the new things that come up, and on a health note bellydance came up so I start that tomorrow:)

Lola Getz

One of the Regulars
Ooh CanadaDoll, please tell me how you like bellydancing! I've been thinking of signing up for a class but didn't know if someone with 2 left feet but a fairly cooperative midsection could handle it. I'd love to hear how it goes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot