Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nutrition and exercise!

texasgirl

One Too Many
FedoraGent said:
Folks,

As time goes by I'm starting to realize that I need to take hold of certain parts of my life that are lacking. One serious situation is my weight and I've always struggled thoroughly with that. It's always been an up and down thing, and I've had people suggest Weight Watchers. Has anyone ever done Weight Watchers and do you know if it's expensive?

FG.

FG, I've been on WW for about 13 months. It's $39.95 a month for online access and meetings and everything. I think it's great. I've gone up and down a lot over the years and this is the first time I don't feel like I'm on a diet. It really is a lifestyle way of eating. I joined with my mom and I think that helps. And I really like my team leader, she's fun and helpful. I've lost about 23 and my moms lost about 40. I'd highly recommend it :)

I posted these before, but I think the pictures really show the results. We are both about halfway to our goal.
Last year Memorial Day
momme07.jpg

This year Memorial Day
momme.jpg

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
You look AMAZING!!! Absolutly Beautiful! Not that u wernt before.. but Hoorah Hooora!
I myself am a believer in WW!
THey have it here at my company for free and I took advatage of it. I didnt join to lose weight.. I joined to learn how to eat!

Its completly true.. you can eat whatever u want.. in moderations.. and u still lose weight..

I love the point system.. I write the amount of points on the box to remind myself how much that will cost me.. LOL
And it has taught me to eat sensibly :)

WTG!!! You look fantastic! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Girl Friday

Practically Family
I think I found the weight that you lost! I really thought I would run more after dropping my gym membership, not so unfortunately. But that is just my own laziness, I have incentive now, none of my clothes fit! :eusa_doh:

Emer

One of the Regulars
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
I'm a semi-vegetarian: I'll eat fish and shellfish but no red meat or poultry. This is not because I don't like those things, I love them, but I have a very strict "don't eat anything you wouldn't personally kill" policy. I'll go fishing. I won't kill a baby cow.

Miss Bella, there is actually a word for that! It's called pasca-vegetarianism, or a pescatarian. Hubby and I also practice this line of eating--although lately we've talked of allowing ourselves turkey on the holidays with family.

I used to be very good about getting up every morning and walking/running. It was only 15 minutes or so but boy! I saw a a difference. I was actually at my best weight ever during this time! Then I had surgery and I haven't gotten back into it. I'm hoping once we move to warmer climates here soon that I will be more diligent about it.

live vintageous

Familiar Face
I may sound strange...

but I just love this thread :D All of you ladies are inspiring and helpful!

Since exercising, I have gained 2.5" in my hips :eek: I'm reminding myself that it's because my rearline was flat, wide, droopy, and things have lifted (sorry if this is TMI). I'm happy to look better, but hate that I can no longer wear all of my skirts and pants - vintage not less! I have tucked them away because I can't bear the idea to sell anything or give them away - at least, not yet.

Any of you ever experience this?

I gave up on kettlebells. I liked using them, but I didn't feel like I looked very feminine from using them; I was putting on too much muscle for my taste. So I've resumed T-Tapp and walking. I'm also going to pull out my ballet tapes - I miss using those! Anyone else like to use ballet videos? I have ballet bootcamp and a few others. I feel very "Audrey" using them ;)

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I just joined a fitness place again - it's a lot like Curves with a 30-minute total work-out on a circuit and it's for women only. The only difference is that it's open 24/7 so I can go whenever I want. I really like that! I've been a member for a week and I've already worked out three times. Woot!

I've also started eating healthy again. Last night, I made lasagna using whole wheat lasagna noodles, ground turkey, and fat free cottage cheese - I loaded up on the veggies, too - mushrooms, green peppers, and tomatoes. It turned out SO good.

I originally lost 30 pounds back in 2006-2007, but when my husband was in the hospital for a staph infection and then was unemployed for a few months after, I coped with the stress by eating and gained 15-20 pounds back. :rage: So now I'm back at it.

live vintageous

Familiar Face
AmateisGal said:
I just joined a fitness place again... I've also started eating healthy again.

I originally lost 30 pounds back in 2006-2007, but when my husband was in the hospital for a staph infection and then was unemployed for a few months after, I coped with the stress by eating and gained 15-20 pounds back. :rage: So now I'm back at it.

I think you're off to a fantastic start! Side note: I'm a fellow Nebraskan too *waves*

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I'm checking out the WW site right now and it seems like such a good idea! My ex lost 70 lbs on Nutrisystem the first 2 months he used it, which is CRAZY! His problem is mainly portion control, so I think that's why it had such a huge impact on his weight loss. He gained maybe 20 lbs back and is now on Nutrisystem again trying to lose that weight.

Ultimately, Nutrisystem is WAY too expensive for him. It's definitely easy and practical since he's always really busy and doesn't have time to cook for himself, but at $330 a month, that's a large chunk of change to drop all at once if you don't make big bucks.

I'm going to talk to him about WW. Hopefully he won't think it's just a 'girl's thing' and not want to join. I think we'd BOTH benefit from it greatly!

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Emer said:
Miss Bella, there is actually a word for that! It's called pasca-vegetarianism, or a pescatarian. Hubby and I also practice this line of eating--although lately we've talked of allowing ourselves turkey on the holidays with family.

I'm know the term! :) It's just that most other people don't. ;)

texasgirl

One Too Many
pigeon toe said:
I'm going to talk to him about WW. Hopefully he won't think it's just a 'girl's thing' and not want to join. I think we'd BOTH benefit from it greatly!

We have a few guys in the meetings. And last week we had a few more join. Probably about 10 total out of about 40 women. I definitely think it's not a "girls" program. The website has special men's only section and message boards too. And at $39.95, a lot more affordable. And you can eat anything. I really think it's better for learning how to eat healthy and break bad habits!

Red Diabla

One of the Regulars
live vintageous said:
but I just love this thread :D All of you ladies are inspiring and helpful!

Since exercising, I have gained 2.5" in my hips :eek: I'm reminding myself that it's because my rearline was flat, wide, droopy, and things have lifted (sorry if this is TMI). I'm happy to look better, but hate that I can no longer wear all of my skirts and pants - vintage not less! I have tucked them away because I can't bear the idea to sell anything or give them away - at least, not yet.

Any of you ever experience this?

I gave up on kettlebells. I liked using them, but I didn't feel like I looked very feminine from using them; I was putting on too much muscle for my taste. So I've resumed T-Tapp and walking. I'm also going to pull out my ballet tapes - I miss using those! Anyone else like to use ballet videos? I have ballet bootcamp and a few others. I feel very "Audrey" using them ;)

I think I'm the anti-you, as I'm fairly solid muscle-wise these days.lol

I was raised by non-exercising nerds, so I was rather sedentary most of my life, but in my early 30's that came home to roost weight-wise, so I started jogging 5 days a week for about an hour each time. Stopped smoking, lost about 25 lbs, but started to wreck my knees because I wasn't fitted with the right jogging shoes. Mornings I started a half-hour abdominal/push-up routine. I also cut out soda and most bread and pasta out of my diet.

Then I found roller derby. Good lourd!

Now I still do the abs/push-ups in the mornings, but have added 2-4 practices a week with my league which last 2 hrs. per practice. On days I don't have practice I either skate outdoors along the beach for 20 miles or I jog in the evenings(I now have real running shoes that have eased my knee pain). I also run local errands on a bicycle. Once or twice a week I do 20-40 minutes of plyometrics to help my knees and overall strengthen the lower half of my body.

I was a jock and didn't even know it!

RD

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
I wish I could keep up a workout routine like that... I just cant seem to get my butt up in the morning... I think I like my sleep to much.. :eek:

But I know I gotta get on the ban wagon...:rolleyes:

live vintageous

Familiar Face
Red Diabla said:
I think I'm the anti-you, as I'm fairly solid muscle-wise these days.lol

I was raised by non-exercising nerds, so I was rather sedentary most of my life, but in my early 30's that came home to roost weight-wise, so I started jogging 5 days a week for about an hour each time. Stopped smoking, lost about 25 lbs, but started to wreck my knees because I wasn't fitted with the right jogging shoes. Mornings I started a half-hour abdominal/push-up routine. I also cut out soda and most bread and pasta out of my diet.

Then I found roller derby. Good lourd!

Now I still do the abs/push-ups in the mornings, but have added 2-4 practices a week with my league which last 2 hrs. per practice. On days I don't have practice I either skate outdoors along the beach for 20 miles or I jog in the evenings(I now have real running shoes that have eased my knee pain). I also run local errands on a bicycle. Once or twice a week I do 20-40 minutes of plyometrics to help my knees and overall strengthen the lower half of my body.RD

:eek: WOW! You go girl! :) I wish I could be so athletic.

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
I know that most ladies are fearful of weight lifting - as they are afraid of becoming huge muscle bound freaks...BUT I highly recommend it!!! Especially for those who are short on time or cannot commit to a grueling daily routine.

I work out twice a week at the most, for no more than two hours and I am as small as I was in junior high (okay what you need to know is that I grew early and was about 5' 7' already at that age - I already had the look of most adult females.)

I am marginally careful about what I eat. But, due to the philosophy I have on nutrition and food, I eat butter, bacon, eggs, cream, full fat yogurt...and so on. And when I first started - I could not eat enough to not lose weight at an almost alarming rate. I don't think I look highly out of the ordinary for an average healthy woman - no bulging muscles - no popping veins. In fact, my body is better balanced than it ever was before!

I will say that I do walk regularly, but I hate running. I get cardio anyway I can - but I do so doing things I already enjoy - or running errands - no specific routine. I will also say that finding the right routine and learning proper technique is a bit harder than some things - but well worth it!!!!

And as an added bonus...I no longer have back pain. Back pain and sciatic nerve issues were something I struggled with for years. At barely twenty-one I would spend weeks hunched like an old lady because my back went out. Since taking up heavy weight lifting - no more pain!!

Anyway, just some food for thought.

Red Diabla

One of the Regulars
Mrs. Merl said:
I know that most ladies are fearful of weight lifting - as they are afraid of becoming huge muscle bound freaks...BUT I highly recommend it!!! Especially for those who are short on time or cannot commit to a grueling daily routine.

I work out twice a week at the most, for no more than two hours and I am as small as I was in junior high (okay what you need to know is that I grew early and was about 5' 7' already at that age - I already had the look of most adult females.)

I am marginally careful about what I eat. But, due to the philosophy I have on nutrition and food, I eat butter, bacon, eggs, cream, full fat yogurt...and so on. And when I first started - I could not eat enough to not lose weight at an almost alarming rate. I don't think I look highly out of the ordinary for an average healthy woman - no bulging muscles - no popping veins. In fact, my body is better balanced than it ever was before!

I will say that I do walk regularly, but I hate running. I get cardio anyway I can - but I do so doing things I already enjoy - or running errands - no specific routine. I will also say that finding the right routine and learning proper technique is a bit harder than some things - but well worth it!!!!

And as an added bonus...I no longer have back pain. Back pain and sciatic nerve issues were something I struggled with for years. At barely twenty-one I would spend weeks hunched like an old lady because my back went out. Since taking up heavy weight lifting - no more pain!!

Anyway, just some food for thought.

Mrs. Merl: how long have you been on this routine? That's great that it works so well for you!

And to add on about muscles in general...women have to try REALLY hard to achieve the effects of a professional weight lifter...the average woman can work out with weights and not look like Conan the Barbarian at the end of the day because she's female. We have that layer of fat on us that keeps muscle definition from looking too much like a man's. Which is a Good Thing, imo.

For me, I like having the routine of working out 5-6 days a week. It helps my mind as well as my body, as I find it a great way to calm down whatever stress I may have going on due to work, etc. But different things work for different folks...if someone is having problems with a certain routine, change it up and see how it works!

And yes, I've also found that most of my back problems went away after I started moving around more in general...any activity done well is most likely going to help out the ol' bod, which is good since it's going to be with us all our lives.

I'm loving this thread!

RD

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
Well, I guess for quite awhile - since I was in college. My now husband turned me onto weightlifting at the time. We work out together and he has been weight lifting since he was in high school - so probably almost a decade for me and well over that for him. The reason I only work out twice a week at the most is because weightlifting if done at heavy weights is super easy to over train - you literally cannot work out more often and make progress. This is if you are doing heavy lifting - but depending on your goals - heavy lifting is a must. If you intend to reshape your body and get the benefits of a higher fat burning system - you must work to your highest ability.

I also feel that my choice to weight lift is vital to better health later in life. Because I have lifted throughout my twenties - I believe I will have stronger more calcium packed bones to help me be a stronger more vital older woman. As it is known that a good diet and weightlifting do force more calcium up take by your skeleton.

I could go on for a long time about all the things we feel are vital to our lifestyle (nutrition and exercise speaking.) But I will admit that to many my way is rather "unorthodox."

I agree that a more active lifestyle will benefit all aspects of life, to include those with back issues. I do, however, offer this point. I have always been an active person (most of my life to an extreme at other not so extreme) I played competitive volleyball, bellydanced, practiced yoga, off-season weight trained and ran, etc. Often all at the same time, these were not different iterations of work out trials. Other times it was only part of these activities - as I quit playing competitive volleyball shortly after starting college. But then it was hiking and skiing. My back killed me no matter what I was or was not doing. The yoga was the most effective thing I found to stop the pain - then I started heavy lifting. Only very occasionally does my sciatic nerve flare up and I have not had my back go out in years. So that is my reason for believing that heavy lifting is more effective than some other activities.

(Note: I do not in any way recommend weightlifting without proper training - it is dangerous - but only if you are performing the lifts incorrectly.)

Elmonteman

One of the Regulars
Ellipticals

Has anyone developed a relationship with their elliptical? I started using an elliptical machine about 9 months ago and I enjoy it immensely. Mine has arms that pump back and forth and of course the "stair stepper" type pedals. I thought I was fairly active (I was doing a lot of walking) but when I tried an elliptical I was surprised at how quickly I became exhausted. Shortly thereafter I was "volunteered" to climb Mt. Whitney via the Mountaineers Route. I don't think I would have made it without a crash regimen on the machine. I was advised that wearing a 50lb pack on my back while doing various exercises including the elliptical was recommended for the climb. Turned out be very true. I especially like the heart monitor feature so you can see what heart rate zone you're in.

live vintageous

Familiar Face
heavy lifting questions

Mrs. Merl said:
Well, I guess for quite awhile - since I was in college. My now husband turned me onto weightlifting at the time. We work out together and he has been weight lifting since he was in high school - so probably almost a decade for me and well over that for him. The reason I only work out twice a week at the most is because weightlifting if done at heavy weights is super easy to over train - you literally cannot work out more often and make progress. This is if you are doing heavy lifting - but depending on your goals - heavy lifting is a must. If you intend to reshape your body and get the benefits of a higher fat burning system - you must work to your highest ability.

Mrs. Merl,

So by heavy lifting, do you mean olympic style lifting? I've always wanted to try it, but there isn't anyone in my area (that I'm aware of) that I could train with.

Thanks for the tip about overtraining. I really loved using my kettlebells (which include olympic style lifts), but I just felt really thick and didn't like how my neck, arms and waist were feeling and looking shorter and thicker. It seemed like the more I used them, the more weight I gained and the tighter my clothes became - until, whoa! 10 pounds later and and a whole size bigger...:eek: I only wish I could have lost weight. But the scale went the wrong direction for that and now I'm stil working on getting back to where I was pre-KB.

I wouldn't mind trying heavy lifting again, but *sigh* I don't know. I was using my kettlebell 3 to 6 times a week, 15 to 45 minutes each session; and now I'm wondering if I was overtraining (regardless what some of the kettlebell/heavy weight people were telling me on forums, to do more). Maybe it was just too much for me? Any thoughts/insights, since you're a heavy lifter? I hate giving up on something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff