Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nylon and Nomex flight jackets

KELORGO

New in Town
I have recently taken an interest in nylon and nomex (aramid) flight jackets, and would like to know if my fellow loungers can help me out with a few questions. First, I'd like to know how the nomex (aramid) CWU 45/Ps compare to the CVC aramid jackets as far as warmth, quality, sizing, etc. I see that the CVCs can be bought MUCH cheaper than the CWUs, but I assume that may be because of supply/demand rather than a quality issue.

Can anyone tell me how the CWU 45 and CVC jackets fit. In other words, I wear a size 46R suit jacket and XL in most of my jackets. Should I be on the lookout for XL CWU 45s and CVCs, or should I go up a size to account for a "military fit"?

While we're talking about nylon jackets, can anyone advise me as to what size original MA-1 I should be looking to purchase? I wear a 2XL in the current Alpha MA-1 jackets, but would like to know about how the older wool/cotton lined MA-1s were sized. Are the CVC or CWU 45 jackets warmer than a current Alpha MA-1 (these are my only reference points).

I'd appreciate any information you may be able to provide.

KELORGO

Peacoat

Bartender
All I can tell you about are the vintage MA-1 and the LB-2--the models in the mid to late 60s. Both of mine are the Large size, and both fit me very tight. I have a 42" chest. An extra large would be a better fit. But even more important is the length of the jackets--very short. This has been a common complaint over the years.

I don't remember mine being so short back in the day, but I wore it with a flight suit that had no real waist to it. So, a short jacket wouldn't have been noticeable. At least I didn't notice it on myself, or any of my fellow pilots. I have heard from other posters that one reason these jackets are short is because at some point in their careers, they were washed instead of being dry cleaned. Don't know how accurate that is, but it sounds reasonable.

We have a few nylon experts here, who may chime in. If not, I have posted a link below to the VLJ forum. They have an entire section on nylon flight jackets.

http://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/index.php?sid=032f45e2a4d2bba6ae782539b5a95ac8

KELORGO

New in Town
Thanks, Peacoat. I posted the same questions over on the VLJ forum. For the benefit of FL'ers who are not members over there, it sounds like the CVC and CWU 45 jackets are about the same warmth. One fellow said that the CVCs are made out of a less shiny material that is more comfortable to wear and drapes much nicer than the CWU45. The jackets sound like they true to size, with some variance which is most likely attributed to the various companies making the jackets.

I'm going to try to get myself a CVC in XL, and also keep my eyes open for an older MA-1 in a size XXL. The MA-1 might be a tough find!

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Kelorgo, my experience is that the winter CVC is a tad small for its tagged size. The summer CVC is closer to the mark. I've also found that I need to buy long sizes in both CVC jackets even though I'm normally a regular. As to the CWU's, I've found the older editions with the pleated backs are smaller than the modern ones. The modern ones are definitely cut for today's larger man. As Peacoat says, MA-1s are usually true to size but are short. L-2bs are both skimpy and short.

AF

karlito

New in Town
I have found that the CVC jackets do run a bit small and short, so I would go a size up. The CVC has a more "cotton" like feel and look to it where the CWU is definately more nylon like in terms of look (shiny) and feel. I have also found that my CVC pills like crazy on the inside. I think it is the insulation working through the weave.

FAFOO68

Familiar Face
Hello,
I have an Israeltex Aramid CWU45p in size M, it's fit smaller than a Alpha Industries civilian version in size L.
The CWU 45p is a tight fit jacket, short in the body but quite warm.
So go up a size if want a comfortable fit.
Cheers,
F68

I have found that the CVC jackets do run a bit small and short, so I would go a size up. The CVC has a more "cotton" like feel and look to it where the CWU is definately more nylon like in terms of look (shiny) and feel. I have also found that my CVC pills like crazy on the inside. I think it is the insulation working through the weave.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot