Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Obama and the tie.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I read an article a few weeks back about how Obama may be the end of tie wearing in our generation. It struck me because Oddly enough I’ve been going to a lot of events lately, conventions or fashion shows in LA and Vegas and I’ve noticed that the CEOs of companies, those in their late 40’s and in their 50’s are wearing the standard blue suit and white shirt though they were without ties. On the other hand, the generations following in the late 20’s and in their 30’s and early 40’s all had on ties and usually were a little more put together than the older more stately men that were trying to look cool by not wearing a tie at the key note or at the party.

Now the article could be right on, though I think it’s out of date by about 30 years. The Generation like those in my father’s age group, most of the blue suited white shirted red tied men were moving up in a time when the suit was looked at as the uniform of the oppressor. They were un-cool. Steve Jobs and Bill Gates spearheaded their companies with men that were taught that the suit was a constraint to creativity and the rest of the nation followed. From what I can see, that older generation is the one that is now forced to wear the suit it once scoffed at, and many of them are trying to do away with the tie because they just don’t feel like they can look hip or relaxed in a crowd of younger hipper men that they still think could perceive the tie as the look of “the man”.

From what I see, especially over the last couple of years, whether it be Leonardo Dicaprio, Johnny Depp, or Ryan Seacrest, men, youthful men like Obama are embracing the tie and wearing much more than their older counterparts of the past.

One more thing:
I think that younger generation knows how to wear the tie better, making it blend in with the suit more harmoniously rather than making it the showstopper centerpiece of the outfit. A trademark of the past that made the suit and tie more of a look for life than a look for business. From Clinton to Bush, ties tended to look like something that was there to distract rather than harmonize and I do think it has to do with that sense of aesthetics from a generation that thought the tie was something that needed to be removed in order to look relaxed.

Anyway that’s my opinion and what I have seen on the streets.

I think a better argument for something going out of style because of a political figure would be that of Hillary and the skirt suit. If she’s elected I’m sure You’ll see more pants around the office and women feeling freer with time by not having to shave their legs as often.

n_1022_hillary_7572.jpg

mike

Call Me a Cab
Working in a huge corporation and seeing execs all day long, I can say that this is only part of the equation. The scruffier the exec is, the more successful they are. Has to include a 5 o'clock shadow & spiked/messy hair (that I got things thrown at me in school for) to complete the look of the successful person. It's the "I'm a businessman stuck on a desert island for a few weeks" look. Here's hoping it ends soon, although it is funny to see. Regardless it's a good sign of mindless sheep who make tons of money, how very frustrating, I'd love to be able to afford food AND bills :)

saturnoir

New in Town
When I was a new account executive, I went to a meeting to pitch some new business about 9 years ago, and I didn't wear a tie. I didn't think the meeting was going to result in anything, because no one at my firm had ever been able to close them in 10 years of pitching. I closed at the first meeting. I took it as a sign, and never wore a tie again. Later that night, my wife (who was my girlfriend at the time) said she never liked me in ties and that I should try going without for a while and see what happens. It was like I'd gone out and bought an entirely new wardrobe. I started to project a new vibe of confidence that has remarkably impacted my career. One little change -- going without a tie -- was the missing piece in my personal style.

I make sure to wear french cuff shirts almost every day with my suits, but unless the occasion is formal, and I mean really formal, I do not wear ties. I know that being Gen X and not wearing a tie bothers some people, and that for some it's a sign of disrespect, but it has been working for me.

Jovan

Suspended
It's funny the article says that, because in every photo or video I've seen of him so far, he wears a tie. [huh]

In any case, people erroneously credit Kennedy with the death of the hat. lol That's something to chew on.

LindyTap

Familiar Face
For the most part I think Matt is right. I think Obama might help bring back the tie for younger generations, at least in the work place, but I don't know that we'll ever get to a point where many people wear a tie, or suit for that matter, without being told they have to. I think part of the problem is that dress clothes aren't made as well as they used to be, so they're not as comfortable. For a generation that would just as soon wear sweat pants, this is kind of a neccessity.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
mike said:
Working in a huge corporation and seeing execs all day long, I can say that this is only part of the equation. The scruffier the exec is, the more successful they are.
I would hope that the causality works the other way around - the more successful, the scruffier. But it's not a totally new thing. Back in the tie era I worked for a Princeton/Columbia Law alum who might have been the genius of our whole outfit (small investment subsidiary). He took care to present the cheapest possible image consonant with good taste: Brillo-pad haircut, rectangular prison-lifer wire rims, unshined seventies era black moc toe laceups (exactly two pair), wash & wear shirts, and about four year-round bluishgrey suits, some with a showy snag or inkstain here and there, and paired more or less randomly with any conceivable non-knit tie.

It all went very well with his gentle monotone speaking voice and his compressed, semi-stenographic, High Professional handwriting. His one concession to the idea that such a thing as Style was worth a split-second's consideration was that he never, EVER, EVER allowed himself to be seen in shirtsleeves. Summertime, wintertime, meetings, lunch, all by himself after hours, the jacket stayed on. It probably would have seemed unnecessarily vain to him to take it off.

Regardless it's a good sign of mindless sheep who make tons of money, how very frustrating, I'd love to be able to afford food AND bills :)
What it is, is reverse ostentation. They're saying, "Hey, I'm The Man, I don't have to be neat and clean-cut and stylish. All I have to do is wear the $2000 OTR threads and the Breitling and personify Money and Power."

My old boss would have chuckled dryly and maybe made an apt aside after such a man left the room, but I imagine part of him would have been dying inside.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

Being the sartorial enthusiast that he is, Matt always has a good observation for us. He might have a point.

Regarding Obama, lately he has been wearing a tie...but up until six months ago he and Edwards were both going tie-less to be men of the people. I don't know if it is cause and effect but since the first article about Obama being tie-less, he began to wear one.

Actually I think the motivating factor might have been to look more Presidential and combat his opponents claim that he lacks experience....but that is getting into politics.

carter

I'll Lock Up
From what I see, especially over the last couple of years, whether it be Leonardo Dicaprio, Johnny Depp, or Ryan Seacrest, men, youthful men like Obama are embracing the tie and wearing much more than their older counterparts of the past.

While they may be embracing the tie more than their older counterparts, we also are seeing the shirt worn untucked beneath the coat by the contemporaries of the men mentioned in Matt's comment. I doubt we'll see this fashion on Mr. Obama or any other candidate.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
The more thimgs change...

The current tie-less appearance reminds me of the turtleneck in the '60's and
'70's- guys like Richard Burton, Sean Connery, Richard Roundtree and Steve McQueen made it look hip and cool. You could look put-together, but not look like the Man because- hey- you weren't wearing a tie. Think of Steve McQueen in Bullitt - he's part of the establishment, but, he's cool The problem was, everybody started wearing a turtleneck until it just wasn't that different anymore.
Obama is a pretty savvy dresser- his tie-less outfits are always very color co-ordinated and, where one would expect to see a buttondown collar- its casual right?- Obama opts instead for a straight collar- which looks great with his face. The tie-less look also made him standout in a field of candidates. Now that the field has narrowed, and Mr. Obama needs to project an air of seriousness and dependability- voila!- a tie!

LindyTap

Familiar Face
carter said:
While they may be embracing the tie more than their older counterparts, we also are seeing the shirt worn untucked beneath the coat by the contemporaries of the men mentioned in Matt's comment. I doubt we'll see this fashion on Mr. Obama or any other candidate.

I certainly hope not! :eek:

Bugsy

One Too Many
Matt Deckard said:
I read an article a few weeks back about how Obama may be the end of tie wearing in our generation. It struck me because Oddly enough I’ve been going to a lot of events lately, conventions or fashion shows in LA and Vegas and I’ve noticed that the CEOs of companies, those in their late 40’s and in their 50’s are wearing the standard blue suit and white shirt though they were without ties. On the other hand, the generations following in the late 20’s and in their 30’s and early 40’s all had on ties and usually were a little more put together than the older more stately men that were trying to look cool by not wearing a tie at the key note or at the party.

Now the article could be right on, though I think it’s out of date by about 30 years. The Generation like those in my father’s age group, most of the blue suited white shirted red tied men were moving up in a time when the suit was looked at as the uniform of the oppressor. They were un-cool. Steve Jobs and Bill Gates spearheaded their companies with men that were taught that the suit was a constraint to creativity and the rest of the nation followed. From what I can see, that older generation is the one that is now forced to wear the suit it once scoffed at, and many of them are trying to do away with the tie because they just don’t feel like they can look hip or relaxed in a crowd of younger hipper men that they still think could perceive the tie as the look of “the man”.

One more thing:
I think that younger generation knows how to wear the tie better, making it blend in with the suit more harmoniously rather than making it the showstopper centerpiece of the outfit. A trademark of the past that made the suit and tie more of a look for life than a look for business. From Clinton to Bush, ties tended to look like something that was there to distract rather than harmonize and I do think it has to do with that sense of aesthetics from a generation that thought the tie was something that needed to be removed in order to look relaxed.

Anyway that’s my opinion and what I have seen on the streets.

I think a better argument for something going out of style because of a political figure would be that of Hillary and the skirt suit. If she’s elected I’m sure You’ll see more pants around the office and women feeling freer with time by not having to shave their legs as often.

n_1022_hillary_7572.jpg

I hope the tie does not go out of style at all. Unfortunately, even our Governator is seen in many public events sans tie. Let's try to keep a some decorum no matter who's in office.
R

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Baron Kurtz said:
The necktie as we know it is a recent innovation in menswear but there is a centuries old tradition of wearing fabric around the neck. I don't think the necktie's demise is anywhere near, but if it is, it will likely be replaced by some other neck adornment.

bk

Here's a vote for the lace neck winding.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran