Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Obsolete Occupations

Bourbon Guy

A-List Customer
It doesn't make any difference who you call. It doesn't make any difference what restaraunt drive through you go to. It doesn't make any difference which web site you contact for product help. It doesn't make any difference who you respond to on this thread. ALL are answered by Rajneesh in Mumbai.

Thank you. Come again.

Chainsaw

Suspended
Oh yes, I know this man Ranjesh. Smoking his beedies, talking with ten toungues, Ranjesh, yes he is the man ranjesh. The coyote, he is a trickster, Ranjesh he is no coyote, Ranjesh. He can make from air, what isn't from air, but not to know it isn't from air Ranjesh.

Ranjesh, he is like a shadow in the sun Ranjesh.

Don't look for the man Ranjesh,

look for the shadow cast

and you will see the man who isn't Ranjesh.

It is good to smoke, beedies is good yes?

MPicciotto

Practically Family
davestlouis said:
Same with a local pizza place...call a centralized ph#, place your order, they determine which location is relatively close and the least backed-up, and send the order there, so my orders can come from one of 3 locations, depending on their schedule.

Out my way you only have one pizza place per major chain to order from. Pizza Hut, Dominoes and Papa Johns. So no need for routing. There isn't another location closer or less backed-up.

John in Covina said:
One off shoot of this Central phone is that I cannot call an actual branch of my bank. Let's say I was at the Covina branch and may have left my check book at the counter there is no actual way to connect to the branch. You have to go back there in person to speak to anyone there. All listed phone numbers are for a central number and they can not connect you. You need to get an actual business card from someone at the branch because the number for the branch is not listed.
Next time you go to your bank get a manager's number in case you need to contact them the central answer number is helpless.

Good thing my bank is a local bank. They also have free coffee, donuts, television on a 24/7 news channel and a lounge with magazine. Which I find odd since there is NEVER a line. But if there was... You could chill in the "Lion Lounge" and catch up on news until the que died down. The only time I really used the lounge besides nabbing a donut on the run was while waiting for the public notary they have on staff to finish with another customer. Yes my bank also has a free notary service for it's customers.

Matt

DragonJade

One of the Regulars
You still get plenty of elevator operators in Japanese department stores.

bd87855a4a1f044df1651ca1ec7d66a4.jpg

http://www.fotothing.com/Assesssin/photo/bd87855a4a1f044df1651ca1ec7d66a4/

09_02.jpg

http://web-japan.org/nipponia/nipponia39/en/feature/feature09.html

I remember having a look for a shoemaker in Birmingham (UK) and the surrounding area in the Yellow Pages a few months ago and didn't have any luck, and Birmingham is the second largest city in England.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Years ago we had 3 local shoe repairs. We're now down to one part-time outfit.

The first place closed early in the 80s. The second had been going since the 30s but gradually had to price itself out of the market, losing customers even faster just to stay open. It finally folded about 2000.

The last place can only open 3 mornings a week. No one much goes in there.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We have one local shoe repair place -- and it opened just a couple years ago. Funny choice of a business to go into these days, but it's probably just a front for something shady. Even so, he does a nice job fixing worn-down rubber heels.

Meanwhile, here's another extinct occupation: starting pitcher who goes the distance.

Lokar

A-List Customer
We have at least one cobbler in Lund (pop 75000). They may also make new shoes however, I'm not entirely certain..

It's one of the few stores like that I've come across in Sweden, though. I don't even know where to find a tailor in Lund!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
...here's another extinct occupation: starting pitcher who goes the distance.
Hon, these guys are thoroughbreds anymore. They're too valuable, too fragile, too easily rattled, too...valuable.

They're like violinists. No one expects violinists to scrape out tre divisi parts in dance bands, or double on, well, anything, now that they've all got performance degrees.

The perfect is ever the enemy of the good. (The difference is violinists don't make any more money than they ever did. But they all get to be artists.)

Chainsaw

Suspended
Guys, guys....

What about the obvious one...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/transpallent74/395189226/

No wait, they still exist......

Hockey players that don't wear helmets, and play full games...

Now wait, there's one, and I think they were replaced by machines or something... (scratches his head)

Word Smithes

Leperchauns? Do they still make Leperchauns? I swear I met one on new years, or else it was the mushrooms on the pizza.

Pizza deliver guys went obsolete, when chiinese food was invented.

Now wait just one dog gone minute here, I can't remember what I was going to say...

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
re door to door salesmen - We still get annoying door to door people selling cable TV & wanting us to change our utility (gas & electric) providers.

When I was a child we had the sheet man who would sell my mother (you guessed it) manchester. We also had the insurance man who would sell you a policy & then turn up every month to collect the payment. More recently (after I moved out of home to Surry Hills) my favourite door to door salesman was the Mango Man. Every mango season he would turn up every few weeks & sell boxes of mangoes. He was the most welcome salesman ever :)

John in Covina said:
In this area true door to door salesman seem to be almost gone.

They were replaced by telemarketers. I admit that at one point in my life (many years ago) I did a brief stint in that odious occupation. What it taught me was that if the only way you can sell your product or service is by phone, then it ain't that great!

When I was a tiny tot in L.A. I remember there used to be a guy who sold tofu from a truck -- this was way before most people in this country had even heard of tofu.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner