Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ocean Liner Items Collecting

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
Hello,

Does anyone here collect ocean liner items? I have quite a few HAPAG (Hamburg Amerika Linie) items that I got either through eBay or through http://www.oceanliner.com/ site.

Some of my favorites are the HAPAG flag that was worn on the uniform cap, and a deck of cards that I love to use. (Sorry I can't get any pictures up of these, as I don't have a digital camera.) I would have to say the third would be the HAPAG U.S. Pacific Coast Service fee brochure. It shows the layouts of the ships: Los Angeles, Seattle, San Francisco, Portland and Tacoma (I think I remembered them all right), and has the prices, departure ports and dates. The one I have is from 1934.

Sincerely,

Prien :eek:

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Queen Mary stuff!

I have the compact, two candy boxes, a blank telegram form, the 1st class accommodations map (handy if going to stay there, as those rooms are now the hotel rooms) and a lot of books about her!
I yearn for the cube tea set but it's very pricey. And the deck chairs are outrageous.

Mojito

One Too Many
I'm not a tremendous collector of ocean liner related material, but due to the nature of my research and my job I seem to inevitably pick up pieces. They're usually connected with the lines that the mercantile marine officers I've worked on were associated with.

I have quite a few pieces of china and cutlery from the White Star, Elder Dempster and Blue Funnel lines...everything from fairly large dishes to a pickle fork. From the White State Line I also have a collection of menus, passenger lists and other ephemera from the early 00s through to the early thirties (pre-Cunard merger) - many associated with OCEANIC II, a shot glass souvenier set from a White Star Liner (RMS LAURENTIC II from memory), goodness knows how many postcards, and lots of other bits and bobs including a signed photograph from one of the TITANIC's deck officers given to me by his family. Perhaps one of the more unusual items is a styrofoam cup a colleague working on a doco decorated for me and carried down to the TITANIC's wrecksite on the outside of their DSV - the pressure shrinks these cups to the size of a thimble. From the Blue Funnel line I have a jewelry box with an enamelled house flag sold on board as a souveneir. I'm fond of other little oddities, like my Elder Dempster coasters - not a valuable item, but I love it!

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
Hello,

Cool! :)

I also, mysteriously, found a mug of the Blue Star Line in my mom's cupboard. I have no idea how it got there - it was just there for awhile (I don't live near the sea, and no one has gone on any Blue Star Line ships).

The reason I thought it peculiar was because the Arandora Star, was sunk by the U 47 - which was a liner of the Blue Star Line.

So, I now keep the mug, and bought a postcard of the Arandora Star in her white paint scheme to go with the mug and have them sitting inside the china cabinet.

Prien :eek:

Mr. Hallack

One of the Regulars
I have a deck plan, map, whatever it's called for a ship called SS Yarmouth. It's from a travel agency and has a date stamped March 21, 1963. Not sure if this was the same boat as SS Yarmouth Castle. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Yarmouth_Castle

yarmouth001.jpg

Argee

One of the Regulars
My girlfriend picked up a chrome carafe from the SS United States, because she knew I would have if I had been there.

DNO

One Too Many
Though I'm not a collector of liner memorabilia, I do have a couple of things. Several years ago, I found a handkerchief with S.S. Athenia stitched into the corner. A souvenir of the ship, I assume.

At a recent house contents sale I found a water jug, about 9" high, from Canadian Pacific Ships. CP operated quite a few liners in its day, including the Empress of Ireland which sank in the St. Lawrence in 1914 with a considerable loss of life.

waterjug.png

Lucky Strike

A-List Customer
Some of my family travelled quite a bit across the Atlantic in the late forties and fifities, so I have some trinkets of the "passenger souvenir" type - pocket knives, matchbooks, luggage tags, etc., mostly from The Norwegian America Line. A lot of it was thrown out when we cleared up my grandparents' house, I'm afraid.

The ships seem to have handed out a fair lot of "goodies" to the passengers, I remember finding about ten leather passport/ticket wallets in a drawer once, all marked with various shipping lines or ships' names.

The only really good piece that i have is this silver-plated bucket from the Italian Line's SS "Italia". It's made by Broggi in Milan, - the royal crown above the name places it on the pre-war "Italia", rather than its later namesake. After Italy gave Vittorio Emmanuele II the boot (haha) after WWII, the Italian Line switched the royal crown for a "crenellation", similar to those often seen on municipal crests.

det.jpg

DSC08546.jpg
DSC08538.jpg

I bought it on a whim, because the seller insisted that it came from the airship "Italia" - I tried reasoning with her, telling her that a wine cooler was probably the last thing anyone would bring on a polar expedition - even an Italian - but she stuck to her story, and the price was low enough that I took a chance...I paid around $150.

(Anything to do with the famous polar expeditions is big $$$ among collectors here in Norway, so on the off-chance that her story held true, I would have made out big...oh, well.)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I have one or two items left over from my mother's trip to Europe in 1937 on the great Italian liner, The Rex. Maybe a post card or two. She spoke about it all her life.
She in turn took us on a cruise in the Mediterranean 35 years later, on a wonderful little Greek liner, the TSS Agamemnon. It was only 10,000 tons. She kept a scrapbook of the trip, which contains many nice little items, like the travel agency's original bruchure, menus, and a few of the hundreds of checks for 25 cents that my brother and I signed for coca cola on while board.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
http://www.themagazineantiques.com/...2010-02-18/art-deco-design-and-the-normandie/

Short Colour film of the french Liner 'Normandie'

[video=youtube;LeF4HXCq5z0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeF4HXCq5z0&feature=related[/video]

[video=youtube;vXa-07iO8KQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXa-07iO8KQ&feature=related[/video]

[video=youtube;TN3LzbNieWI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN3LzbNieWI&feature=related[/video]

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy