Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Of all the gin joints in the world...

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Maltese Falcon walk

How's about we figure the locations in The City from Hammett's book and do a walking tour of "The Maltese Falcon" and end it with late lunch at John's Grill?

The Wolf

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Nothing against Don Herron

Using the old Avon mapback and other sites on the web (not to mention "The Mlatese Falcon" book) I figure we could put together a pretty good map of the Falcon's events. We could also work on our own timetable.
I figure we could start at the Ferry Building or Hall of Justice.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

FedoraGent

One Too Many
The City (San Francisco of course...)

Hey Folks,

I hang out quite a bit at the Cafe Majestic at the Hotel Majestic on Sutter and Gough. The bartender's name is Tim and he just 'fits' the bar right. The room is so vintage it just takes everyone I've taken there back to a 'BETTER' time as some have called it. I just found Fedora Lounge recently and I must say...I love it. I was hoping that there would be people like me that like the vintage stuff. I get alot of crap from people about my taste for vintage music, clothing...and one must not forget...my collection of fedoras. The way I explain it to them is...it's style and an air of class. When they think about it, they agree. :) Are there more people based out of the Bay Area on Fedora Lounge and did you guys ever get together for a drink?

Jon

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Persian Aub Zam Zam, etc

I'm surprised at all the "retro", or fake vintage places
listed here. For the real deal in the Bay Area, I'd recommend:

- Persian Aub Zam Zam (Haight St.)
Not quite as vintage as it was when Bruno was
alive, but a lot nicer in other ways. Get a martini.

- Trad'r Sam's (Geary St.)
A real tiki bar. The crowd is bigger and less
fun than it used to be, but a must see.

- Tonga Room (Nob Hill)
'nuff said.

- The Alley (Grand Lake, Oakland)
Papered in business cards that go back to the 40s.
Theme bar of an alley with a second hand clothing store.
Sign along.

- Tiki Ti's in LA
Tiki bar founded in 1964. Great spirit.

- The Formosa Cafe (7156 Santa Monica Boulevard, LA)
You saw it in LA Confidential. Now go see it for real.

Just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are many more.

Too bad about the Redwood Room in SF...

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Jon,

I hit the Church of Sinatra there a few weeks ago with my pal Johnny - he drives a '37 Buick 8. Amazing collection of lepidoptera on the walls of that place. We FLers have got together a few times...it's not the same without Art and his shop! I frequent SF about once every two months and hit the town with a group of about 15 - 20 friends, all in vintage clothing. We have a rip-roaing time.

FedoraGent said:
Hey Folks,

I hang out quite a bit at the Cafe Majestic at the Hotel Majestic on Sutter and Gough. The bartender's name is Tim and he just 'fits' the bar right. *snip* Are there more people based out of the Bay Area on Fedora Lounge and did you guys ever get together for a drink?

Jon

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Yeh, how many?

I missed the last Bay Area meeting with MK.
I live in Santa Rosa and would like to join up with a Fedora Lounge meeting.
I originally thought a Maltese Falcon tour would be good but anything casual sounds good too.
Any ideas?

Sincerely,
The Wolf

FedoraGent

One Too Many
I was at the Majestic that night during COS!

Unfreaking believable. I was there that night during the Church of Sinatra. I talked to Tim tonight and he told me that the Majestic has too much going on this month (August) and COS will not be held their until September. COS will indeed be held at Le Colonial apparently every other Thursday. BTW, yes perish the thought of the Redwood Room. Shanghai 1930 has been wonderful to me, but they have started with that smooth jazz sh*te. At any rate, I'm thinking of getting some vintage clothes. Any idea where in the Bay Area one could do so? I could have it tailored, and I know a few guys that 'might' be able to do it.

Today, I happyily purchased two more fedoras. One, a tope Borsalino and the other...my first Puerto Fino Panama. So tonight off to the Majestic and some other haunts.

Jon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran