Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Of mouton collars...

lgcarp

New in Town
Give me a break Windward!

Hey folks! Don't I need 15 posts before I will be allowed to post lots of my treasures? If not, let me know and I will definitely post them. I'm not bragging about anything I don't have, so cut me some slack. Not to be too overstated, but I have enough men's vintage jackets, hats, gloves, suits, shoes, etc. to stock a complete vintage store. Get it! It's called being a long time collector. I'm old!

Peacoat

Bartender
Look at the "Posting Rules" in the bottom left corner of your screen. It will tell you there what you are allowed to do. It has been over 4 years since I was a new member, so I just don't remember.

Welcome to the FL.

Hepville

One of the Regulars
Creeping Past said:
Congratulations on this impressive achievement!

Did you make the pattern yourself from the start or did you adapt an existing one?

Thank you Sir!

It is adapted from an existing one. I don´t have the knowledge to create patterns, but by now I know pretty well where I have to make the alterations so that it comes out the way I wanted.

To lgcarp: You´re right you need those 15 posts to write PM and post pictures.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Here's mine:

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0044.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Atticus Finch said:
Feelin' blue....B-15C worn on a freezing day at the beach.

JackiesTesters107.jpg

AF

Love it... I have a serious hankering for the Buzz Rickson take in the B15-C, but it remains out of my budget for now.... unfortunately, ELC are the only UK supplier I can find, and they've shot up in price this last year (probably the effect of the drop in value in the pound sterling). I would also one day love to have an early patter, war-era B15 repro too, but there's something instantly appealing about the C model, that blue is so striking, a nice change from the greens and browns of most flight jackets.

Hepville said:
This was my jacket for winter I´ve made for myself:

l_06017882c10e40e98ac0b82ff8ce3e57.jpg

l_01fcc9e687d143c78f5e253ddc5c2399.jpg

It´s lined with pure new wool and really kept me warm with just wearing a shirt and sweater or pullover under it even in the coldest days.
And turned up the collar covers half of my face and saves me good from the cold without wearing a shawl.

Bravo!

Is that based on an original design / photo? It has the look of a civilian 'evolution' of the B15 to me, with almost an element of some of the other parka style cold climate flight jackets.

Edward

Bartender
Papa M said:
They're not too great when you drink too much and puke over them either!lol

(Not that I have been in that unfortunate situation for many years - and I hope you'll never experience it Edward.)

lol That's one I've managed to avoid to date!

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Edward said:
Love it... I have a serious hankering for the Buzz Rickson take in the B15-C, but it remains out of my budget for now.... unfortunately, ELC are the only UK supplier I can find, and they've shot up in price this last year (probably the effect of the drop in value in the pound sterling). I would also one day love to have an early patter, war-era B15 repro too, but there's something instantly appealing about the C model, that blue is so striking, a nice change from the greens and browns of most flight jackets.

Thanks, Edward. That jacket is an Alpha Replica series B-15C. If you can find one, they are excellent and cost only a fraction of the Buzz price. They have blackened Scovill paperclip zippers, thick nylon shells and are insulated with the proper wool/cotton batting....just like originals. They even have wool knits, as opposed to the man-made material found on many repros. Truthfully, only two things need be added to these Alphas to make them spot on to the originals. They need Crown zippers and they need real mouton collars. I've actually thought of doing both modifications to my jacket. Since I only paid fifty bucks for it (NWT), I've got a lot of wiggle room for improvement before I get up to the Buzz price. :rolleyes:
AF

Hepville

One of the Regulars
To Edward:
Thank you!
Actually I had something like you´ve said in mind... I´ve went over many pictures, vintage Sears catalogues etc. and took a look at some flightjackets.After that I´ve made some sketches with the elements and details I´ve liked, e.g. this:
l_8507da7715ba4f028bb0f92e989bc765.jpg

I´ve wanted to make a cool looking on-of with some elements of vintage flight jackets... common, but not in this combination.

Edward

Bartender
I love seeing civilian designs like that, really adds an individual edge to it. :)

Atticus Finch said:
Thanks, Edward. That jacket is an Alpha Replica series B-15C. If you can find one, they are excellent and cost only a fraction of the Buzz price. They have blackened Scovill paperclip zippers, thick nylon shells and are insulated with the proper wool/cotton batting....just like originals. They even have wool knits, as opposed to the man-made material found on many repros. Truthfully, only two things need be added to these Alphas to make them spot on to the originals. They need Crown zippers and they need real mouton collars. I've actually thought of doing both modifications to my jacket. Since I only paid fifty bucks for it (NWT), I've got a lot of wiggle room for improvement before I get up to the Buzz price. :rolleyes:
AF

Ah, yes, I remember you mentioned that in another thread... I keep checking eBay periodically, but I've not had any luck just yet. I'm halfway tempted also by the blue L2A; I did see an Alpha or a Cockpit (forget which) take on that a while back that looked pretty good, at less that half the Buzz price. Not as accurate, no, but then a] My jackets are all intended for civilian use - I'm not puttnig together an impression for re-enactment - and b] the contents of the jacket would be less than historically accurate anyhow.... ;) The Buzz jackets are beautiful, and I know I'm probably being irrational, but somehow I find it harder to get my head around paying that kind of money for a cloth jacket than one in leather.... [huh]

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Edward said:
- and the contents of the jacket would be less than historically accurate anyhow.... ;)

Reminds me of when some folks were trying to recruit me into a Civil War re-enactment regiment. They claimed to be sticklers for authenticity and detail. They told me that I would have to purchase my own equipment and submit it to their "authentication committee" for approval. They told that my girlfriend could visit me in camp, but she would also have to be in period dress…otherwise I couldn’t speak to her while I was “in character”.

I tried to picture myself as a private in the Army of Northern Virginia. It was difficult to envision. Even with committee-approved equipment and a hoop-skirted girlfriend, I couldn't help but wonder how many grey-haird, 52 year-old, two hundred and twenty pound Confederates fought in 1863. [huh]

AF

Edward

Bartender
Atticus Finch said:
I tried to picture myself as a private in the Army of Northern Virginia. It was difficult to envision. Even with committee-approved equipment and a hoop-skirted girlfriend, I couldn't help but wonder how many grey-haird, 52 year-old, two hundred and twenty pound Confederates fought in 1863. [huh]

lol Yeah, some of the re-enacting scenes are definitely for the younger guys (makes you realise how many people who have been thrown into these war zones over the years were basically kids....). I've had a bit of a hankering to look into ACW reenactment for a few years, something quite appealing about it, I think maybe the knowledge that so many Irish boys ended up fighting on both sides - another time and place....

Hepville

One of the Regulars
I love seeing civilian designs like that, really adds an individual edge to it.
Yeah, me too. It´s maybe nothing for the "hardcore flightjacket purist"... but it´s my one- of ;-)

Cheers and have a nice weekend mate!

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
jon z said:
Vintage Sears, also posted before.

[/QUOTE]

That brings back a lot of memories. As a kid, my folks used to buy me exactly that kind of jacket each time I grew out of one. I used to love those jackets and in 1959, when they bought me my first nylon jacket, I was not a happy camper at all. :(

shearedcollar

New in Town
French "Canadienne" with thick mouton collar

Enclose
a french leather horsehide coat with removable sheepskin jacket and removable mouton collar . This coat is very easy to find in France and its name is "canadienne".
The coat have some similarity with aviator coat in 1930.

bttz5mwb2kkgrhgohduejll.jpg

I have many pics of leather coats with moutons collars. If you are intereted. I can post it.

Shearedcollar

Fly Boy

One of the Regulars
shearedcollar said:
Enclose
a french leather horsehide coat with removable sheepskin jacket and removable mouton collar . This coat is very easy to find in France and its name is "canadienne".
The coat have some similarity with aviator coat in 1930.

bttz5mwb2kkgrhgohduejll.jpg

I have many pics of leather coats with moutons collars. If you are intereted. I can post it.

Shearedcollar

Very nice coat! Next time I'm over there I'll remember to ask about them! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass