Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

office sealed since the `30s

W-D Forties

Practically Family
My very apartment building! The basement has been partially sealed off. These sealed off rooms include a ballroom, a tennis court, a beauty salon, a diner, and these weird storage rooms. We went exploring one night and came to the conclusion that it was sealed off sometime in the 70s, since we found a lot of late 60s/early 70s style things down there. The landlady told us the beauty salon was the last to close -- sometime in the early 80s. I was hoping to find older stuff (the building was built in 1926), but just a bunch of 60s stuff. And stacks of fancy doors! Our building was apparently very posh in it's day. Now a shadow of what it was.

295024_10150277386584164_5242417_n.jpg

The ballroom entrance. There was a "back way" into it!

198692_10150277386564164_7123615_n.jpg

Coat check? Sealed off adjacent to the ballroom doors.

294064_10150277387269164_1957345_n.jpg

This sign is hand drawn and painted. I'm guessing it's original to the building (20s?) Would anyone know anything about stuff like this?

285149_10150277386974164_2683595_n.jpg

The most awesome thing I found in our exploration was this bit of graffiti!

WOW! All that stuff just below the surface. Don't you just feel like getting a sledgehammer? It'd be like being Howard Carter!

I have a recurring dream where I live in a house (that doesn't look a bit like my present abode), then I suddenly find it has an entire hidden wing.

Now, nievely, I have interpreted this dream as me finding hidden depths to myself, finding that I am capable, as a person, of much more than I had thought possible.... when actually, it really means that I want to live in a house... with an actual hidden wing!! :)

sinatra66

New in Town
In Cyprus, there are whole city blocks abandoned and untouched since the 1974 invasion (The Green Line). You do patrols threw it when on U.N. tours. Kind of erie to see food on plates and news papers left untouched for decades. One building, had brand new Mercedes and other top line cars just sitting there. Although you wouldn't want to venture to far into the buildings to explore. They are more then likely booby trapped, making them perfect time capsules.

Last edited:

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I have a recurring dream where I live in a house (that doesn't look a bit like my present abode), then I suddenly find it has an entire hidden wing.

Haha! I have a recurring dream where I live in a huge house and there is an entire wing that I do not use because it is hidden. I know it is there, but it is hidden, too (don't ask!) There is always a huge sliding glass door with a dilapidated swimming pool outside.

W-D Forties

Practically Family
Oohh, maybe it's a common one then! In mine there's just a door that I have never noticed before and when I walk though it it's like my house has doubled in size - if only!

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I think those sorts of dreams are common- I have one where I discover (through a closet) two bedrooms and a large bath. Poorly furnished and horrifically dusty. The weird part being I have lived in that house for years and if I had used a bit of logic I would have found it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy