Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oil pull = Vegetable tanned ????

sebi

New in Town
hi everyone

i´ve been reading the whole forum the other day and try to understand what different hides there are ....

i´m thinking about getting my new jacket in oil pull .... but i don´t really understand what it is ...
is it the same as vegetable tanned hides ??? or something different ??
i had one jacket in this hide in my hands and i found it very nice !!! :)

by the way .... i have to choose between an heavy custom long halfbelt-hercules-cheyenne hybrid ... or an cheyenne with slimmer :D

allerbeste grüße
sebi

Bonneville

One of the Regulars
Hi Sebi, I think "oil pull" describes a process independant of whether the hide has been veg or chrome tanned. At some point the hide is subjected to a process known as 'hot stuffing' wherein the skin is saturated(?) with oils giving it its waxy or slightly oily feel. I understand that it is widely used for better furniture leather. I think I have also come upon the term "cold stuffing" as well and suspect that it is a similar process in part.
Hope this helps.
I like the tone oil pull imparts to leather.

I agree with Bonnie. Regardless of vegetable or chrome tanning I think you can still have an oil pull leather by oil stuffing the leather. I've also heard this type of leather being referred to as "pull up". It is also used for shoes/boots that require water resistance properties (assuming the oil does that). I think that most shoe leather of this type is cowhide or calf skin but this is a guess.

sebi

New in Town
hi

thanks for your help ...
i just found out that the oil pull from aero is vegetable tanned ... and mid weight

hmm ... difficult ...
i saw it and it was really nice .. but after reading here im not shure how if it can stand rain without getting damaged ...
maybe someone here has experience ???

also ... maybe jansolo read this (i know he has many jackets ;-)
i cant decide between the long half belt and an slimmer version of the cheyenne (like jansolos goat one )
the original cheyenne is to boxy ... but the pictures of jans are great ... can you wear an pullover with it ??
what is customized on this jacket ... beside the goat ;-9

beste grüße
sebi

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara