Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ok a hat I love but my wife hates it .....

Bill Sohne

New in Town
Hi everyone

Just wanted to share one of my cowboy hats ....I normally get to wear it when my wife is away and or on special occasions like Halloween. But this year due to Sandy Halloween was canceled . We were also inviited to a pig roast and when I got there it was a western theme costume party but my wife did not let me know and my Stetson , morgan dollar buckle and lucheese boot stated home not to see the light Of day in 2012.

So while cleaning out my closet here are a few quick shots of this "full sized" hat . I am 6ft3 and about 270 lbs .....

067CE371-D91A-4DAD-9A53-80E23BDDA201-15211-000014A30095C8B3.jpg

583CEA60-627A-4E6A-B264-B11AFF519F40-15211-000014A307BDBDA7.jpg

8FEDB9D2-B24E-49E7-88C7-F7874A97280F-15211-000014A2FF579346.jpg

AE04D6F0-CBC9-457D-AD5A-1264AF99F3B1-15211-000014A30022620F.jpg

So that is one of my largest hats , also inbound is a classic fedora that I just purchased here !!!!

Any thoughts or comments ?

Good hunting

Bill

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
Yes, sad, but oh so true.
Im lucky I let my wife have input on my hats and she likes them. When I first got my campdraft she said "it is going to take me some time with how big this hat is". Well its been about a week and she loves it now. Guess I am just lucky. I let her pick out styles and colors and if I agree with them I buy em

Bill Sohne

New in Town
hahaha .... that is pretty funny... On the forums that I am known on...

Hi

Good point ... "That hat takes attitude of not caring what folks think."

I am a moderator on another site and I am known for the above... I typically go against the grain !...

On the glasses my wife picked them out !!! go figure !! hahahahaha

Good Hunting
and thanks

Bill

Um, it's -- what's the word? -- big.

But it's cool in its way. In this still relatively hat-less age, any "real" hat will distinguish its wearer, for better or worse, and that hat more than most others.

Me, I'd wear it, in certain contexts. I used to work with a fellow, a large (about your size) bearded, long-haired guy in late middle age (to be polite about it) who served as something of the sage and elder statesman to the motorcycle club he had been a part of for decades. He typically wore jeans, heavy boots, a leather jacket and a big ol' cowboy hat. So with all of that guy and that hair under that hat, the hat itself just balanced out the look. You know, it didn't overwhelm him. Indeed, he looked underdressed without it.

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
Tom Mix would be envious of that one,I like the brim treatment IMHO try not to wear it with a T Shirt,as for your wife not liking it well you could always ask her who's wearing it....but we know where that conversation will go.I'm thinking that being from NYC you'd get quite a few comments when you wear it,that's one of the good things about being a big man people will usually think twice about tossing out disparaging remarks.Again try avoiding wearing it with T Shirts but that's only my opinion.I actually like it in a strange sort of way.

_Nightwing

One of the Regulars
You can tell your wife she's going to feel pretty sick if you guys run out of gas on the highway one day and she's made you leave it at home. They don't call it a ten gallon hat for nothing.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Not with those glasses. Get some period specs and photo from different angle. That hat takes attitude of not caring what folks think.

Hi Bill

There are a couple of problems with the hat / clothing etc. First and foremost, your expression says you don't belong in the hat. Somewhere in the Western hats section there's a picture of Tom Mix and Calvin Coolidge wearing a hat of similar color and size. They both looked good in it. John Wayne in the Shootist and possibly Big Jack wore a similarly sized hat, John Wayne always looked like he was supposed to be there, doing whatever it was he was doing. Secondly, that hat pretty much cries out for a more western look in your other clothing. Period glasses or at least wire rims would help. Contacts would also help if you can wear them.

I just had a hat nearly that big custom made for me by Mike Moore. I don't have the trouble with the wife not liking my hats anymore since I got divorced.

Later

Bill Sohne

New in Town
Hi everyone ....

Tough crowd here at the lounge !!!

I was cleaning out the closet web I came across the hat ... And took a few quick pics to show the hat to the group ... The odd angles was me trying to give a 360 deg view of the hat using my cel to take the pics . No more no less ....

You should have seen me coming back from visiting my dad wen he gave me his vintage Cattlemen Restol . I wore it home on the plane wearing shorts and a polo ... Then took the train to penn station and the 3 downtown ....

It was a great day.... That hat is "small" in comparison to my Tom Mix special ....

Heck when I pour a foundation or hoist steel I wear a cowboy hardhat! Just wish it was as big as the Stetson !

Good hunting

Bill Sohne

thespoiler

One of the Regulars
I see your location is NYC.......thought you might be out west somewhere......no problem!..wear it in good health. But really, those glasses just don't go with that hat...I would go with some gold round frames or maybe even some aviators.....

Getting real, how about getting a classic style fedora! You would really look good and probably feel better about yourself wearing it around.. I probably should say "to each his own" but to me that hat is a once in awhile statement and not an everyday wearer - l

Last edited:

Bill Sohne

New in Town
Glasses glasses....

Hi

Will do , have a pair of ray ban safari with g-15 green lens... And if I want to go off the Reservation... I have a old pair of welder glasses from about 1910 that I put Rx lens in about 15 years ago.

I need rx glasses to see.... I have a limited choice of glasses to wear.

Thanks for the feedback !!

Best regards

Bill

I see your location is NYC.......thought you might be out west somewhere......no problem!..wear it in good health. But really, those glasses just don't go with that hat...I would go with some gold round frames or maybe even some aviators.

Brian Niebuhr

One of the Regulars
Really cool hat. I have one almost as big. If anyone gives you any crap, well, 6' 3" and 270 lbs wearing that hat? Not unless they have a death wish!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran