Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old Avirex - Questions

StewartU

New in Town
In reading, I see that the Avirex A-2's are not really of too much interest in the forum. I picked one up off of craigslist a week or two ago for $25 and was hoping to get some info. For 25 bucks, I'm pretty satisfied.

It is the Stars and Stripes Forever model without any date or place of manufacture. I dont know if they made multiple versions of the linings in these jackets but this one is the Italy version. In some photos I have seen of the linings in these jackets some had the copyright of 1989 shown printed on the lining. Mine has no date.

It is nice and heavy and fits alright for what it is.

Anyone know when these were made and where? Also, the hide is heavy and tough, not lamb soft at all. Two piece back with a vertical seam top to bottom, and three piece arms. Anyone know what type of leather this would be?

Thanks in advance.

Deacon211

One Too Many
I used to be a big visitor to the Cockpit back in the 80s-90s and IIRC they were pretty big on cow.

The horsehide A-2 was generally a bit of a special edition, and don't recall them ever making goat A-2s back then.

Not definitive, but odds are it's cow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My son picked ups NOS Avirex HH A-2 (think it was 70's?) That was unworn, but had been in a window display for some time and got some sun fading on parts of the hide. Otherwise, a perfect jacket and actually, very nice...

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I was recently designated the "coat man" at a house party, responsible for putting coats and purses in a bedroom...in walks this guy with what could only be a lamb Avirex and the thing was one heavy mother.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Probably the jackets that got a lot of people started on the vintage A2 trail. They had a history book come catalogue titled Cowboys in the Sky. Don't mistake it for anything really than a catalogue of their designs with some minor history, it was the only thing out there years before Gary Eastman brought out his Golden Book.
Despite the obvious differences between these and original A2s at that time (mid 80s)they sold for a lot of money, sometimes more than original jackets. Some were highly decorated, often to named aircraft such as 'China Doll', I think the 'painting ' was a decal I don't recall see one jacket without hand warmer pockets. Most were made using 'distressed' looking leather that did not mach panel to panel.
The shop in Oxford Street London had a 3/4 size P51 Mustang in the showroom. The jackets were everywhere and I got thrown out of the Piccadilly shop because I told the manager his clothing range in no way resembled real A2s and B3s from WWII.
I did think they were quite nice but the split back always put me off I'm afraid.
Got any pics anyone? Cheers, J

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Here's a link to Google images of the most popular. As with Google Images, there are a few assorted other things in there as well ;)

avirex 1980s jacket art

There are a lot on eBay too, some sell for a reasonable price as well.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch