Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old fashioned guys

Flitcraft

One Too Many
If there are,they are definitely few and far between. I rarely see a sample of the species!

Matt Noir

One of the Regulars
I am very old fashioned when it comes to treating a lady like a lady. I always hold the door open - I always give up my umbrella, seat on the bus, place in line at the grocery store, etc. I always say please and thank you. I always walk closest to the street/traffic when walking with a lady.

I do think it is a rare thing to behave this way. I also think it is a rare thing to see an old fashioned woman. I rarely if ever get a "thank you" if I am a gentleman. As a matter of fact, I once had a woman get downright upset because I took a quick step to reach a door before she did only so I could open it for her. She told me she didn't need a man to hold the door open for her. I replied that I would have held it open for anyone regardless of gender.

Don't get me wrong - I am old fashioned - and I do believe in treating a lady like a lady - but I still do housework, cooking, cleaning, laundry, ironing, etc. This is what happens when you grow up the only guy in a houseful of women!

Regards,

Matt

Hepcatkitten

New in Town
I think in a lot of ways being old-fashioned is having manners, which is what guys like you (Matt and the other gents here) possess. It is certainly refreshing when I see men behaving in this way, ie: opening doors, giving up seats, etc..... What bothers me is when women can be ungrateful about it. (People in general, I guess I should say).

It saddens me to see that most of today's guys and gals just don't get "it." I try my hardest everyday to be polite and just all-around pleasant.

:)

Lacy

ShortClara

One Too Many
They are out there! My hubby doesn't have a vintage bone in his body (except if you're talking computers from the 80s ;)) but he is such a nice, honest and gentlemanly guy. Don't let the jeans and t-shirt fool you. So, if you can find yourself an Okie, I highly recommend them!

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
My Daddy is very old fashioned, in fact, our relationship kind of hearkens back to some traditional ways. He opens the car door for me, sometimes he orders for me at restaurants, he takes good care of us, and on my end I make sure his shirts are ironed and the house is relatively clean most of the time, among many other things. Now, we can interchange roles as needed, but he is definitely the boss around here. I am totally ok with that because he has never given me a reason to not trust him. I love that manly confidence that he has, and we also make a good team. He takes my opinion into consideration, of course, and values my thoughts on things, but in many ways he is simply better suited to deal with major decisions. I like having someone else be in control-I am not a wimp but I function better like this. I hated living on my own and I really sucked at it. I contribute in many ways, work from home and have my own money, but I love being the "little lady" of the house and have gotten pretty darn good at being a housewife over the years. It seems like so many people out there expect today's women to be able to do it all at the same time-have a career, be a mom, be a housewife, but it's hard. I've done it! I like that Louis doesn't want me to be Superwoman and he does appreciate the things I can do. I love my old-fashioned fella, and I know that I am the luckiest girl in the world to have him! Plus, he dances like a dream, and I don't know if I could ask for anything more in a man!

Gaige

One of the Regulars
I open doors at establishments, open car doors, will stand there while an entire family goes through and... strangely enough... only get a "thank you" maybe 6 times out of 10, which surprises me.

Elderly folks seem the most taken aback but are the most apt to extend thanks, which absolutely makes my day.

I don't do it for the thanks, however, I do it because it's just... well... right.

Nashoba

One Too Many
My husband is quite old fashioned in some respects. He very much belives that he should be the breadwinner, I havn't worked outside the home since before we were married. He'd never prevent me from working if I wanted to go back but I think he prefers me to work from home. He very much wants me to be home when we have children. As a result we aren't as wealthy as we could be if I went back to Law Enforcement but we do alright and it makes him happy. And like Red Hot, I rather enjoy keeping house and taking care of him.
The rest of his gentlemanly manners I credit the military for.

Foofoogal

Banned
My honey and I were just talking about this last night. We married in Aug.1975 and I got the best.
I am a major talker and I used to call him Clint after Clint Eastwood when we first got married as it was yep, nope. In early years it was so hard to understand this nontalking guy but now as time has gone by he is like my oasis island in this crazy world.
There is a great book out now:
http://www.fivelovelanguages.com/
I am not off topic on your question because it relates. Men and woman alike I believe have been sort of bashed to the point where the very things they were taught to show love is not relevant to many anymore.
To protect and provide for I think is almost hardwired in men like nurturing is hardwired in most women.
So I have basically come to understand my honey is more of a talker then me but is just nonverbal.
Empty nesters since 1999 so now we really have stepped it up a notch with respect for one another. When you get our age and watch people drop like flies around you the fragility of it all really gets pronounced. For some reason I always see life like a dandelion flower.
I hope someone gets what I am saying. I cherish him and he cherishes me anyway we can. Thank you, please, I appreciate that. Watching to make his life as easy as I am able to for him and he watching to try and make me as comfortable as he can. I don't want to come across that we are perfect as we had many rocky years and hard times but it is now so worth it to see our children grown and our grandbabies.
So if you want a gentleman look as they are still to be found but may not be loud about it and if you want to open doors sooner or later some lady will come walking thru it and smile and you will melt. lol
It almost pains me when I hear a wife talk negative about her husband and vise versa.

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
Gaige said:
I open doors at establishments, open car doors, will stand there while an entire family goes through and... strangely enough... only get a "thank you" maybe 6 times out of 10, which surprises me.

Elderly folks seem the most taken aback but are the most apt to extend thanks, which absolutely makes my day.

I don't do it for the thanks, however, I do it because it's just... well... right.

And that, my dear, is a good indication of a real gentleman. Good for you! :)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
The dirty little politically incorrect secret here is that there is a thing called biology at work here. Mother Nature knows a lot more than we sometimes are willing to give her credit for. But that in no way invalidates women's lib.
Equality of the sexes is not the same as being identical. But it's a tricky business.

Prairie Dog

A-List Customer
I consider myself to be a true gentleman since I’m thoughtful of others. But first and foremost I’m true to myself and have what I consider to be a high degree of moral strength. I regard the rights and feelings of others, sometimes at my own expense. This is how I’ve been raised.

It’s so sad to see how many people are rude and disrespectful. For instance, yesterday I was exiting a bank and the person in front of me just let the door swing directly into me. Do these folk know the meaning of courtesy and politeness?

The famous lyricist 'Johnny Mercer' had this to say about being old fashioned. I tend to agree with him.
"I am not such a clever one about the latest fads
I admit I was never one adored by local lads
Not that I ever tried to be a saint
I’m the type that they classify as quaint

I’m old fashioned, I love the moonlight
I love the old fashioned things
The sound of rain upon a window pane
The starry song that April sings
This years fancies are passing fancies
But sighing sighs, holding hands
These my heart understands

I’m old fashioned but I don’t mind it
That’s how I want to be
As long as you agree
To stay old fashioned with me."

Nashoba

One Too Many
Well Ladies, I do believe that there are more gentlemen guarding the hallways and doors to the Powder Room than we may have reckoned.....and they all have a glass to their ear and the doors ;) :rolleyes:
Well this gal is glad that such gentlemen still exist and wander around, keeps the riff raff out lol

missbeki

New in Town
I guess it has something to do with the way we were brought up? Im only 18, but I just love a guy with gentlemanly manners :)

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
I have found one!!! He had a hard time courting me I admit cause I had become sceptical about men, but now he has me for "hopefully) good. He allways carries the heavy bags, goes infront of me downstairs and walks on the streetside. He´s the sweetest and nicest man I ever met.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats