Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old gas stations

LizzieMaine

Bartender
My grandmother used to have a lady come to the house every couple of months to give her a permanent, in the days when hairdressers made house calls, and I myself am a devotee of the "home perm." But in the natural state we all had dead-straight hair. That forehead on my mother comes from my grandfather's side of the line, his extended all the way to the back of his head.

IMG_3361.jpeg

^^^^^^^
It’s a handsome structure.

My brother worked in one of those “modern” Shell stations 50 or more years ago. He escaped an attempted robbery at gunpoint there as he was closing for the night. He had a bay door open while he was warming up his Vespa scooter when the gunman appeared and directed him to the back room, where he presumed the money was. My brother instead jumped on his scooter and got TF outta there.

A friend owns a property that started life as a gas station, 60-some years ago, I’m guessing. There’s no point in disguising that it was once a gas station, I advised him. Attempting that would come at a great expense and likely wouldn’t result in better looking building.

His tenants have operated a “dispensary” there for several years now. There are divided windows where the bay doors were and the fixed awning remains over the existing people doorway and wraps around the corner of the building to where the rest rooms used to be. It looks good. Indeed, the best looking converted gas stations I’ve seen made no attempt to disguise their beginnings.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk