Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old gas stations

3fingers

One Too Many
That jack, tho.
3e808c16967f5d44b5d29e4487bd7b24.jpg

Rob
My grandfather used the remains of a Model T in exactly the same way to run a burr mill on his farm. It was gone before my time, but I have seen pictures of it in action. His jacking system was considerably more stable than that one though. It sat on oak blocks with chocks in front and behind the wheels.

3fingers

One Too Many
The Weber Showcase and Fixture water tower is interesting. I assume it was there for fire protection. All of that wood, stain and varnish would be hard to put out once it got started.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
If memory serves, we had two 12,000 gallon tanks and one smaller one -- 9000, I think. The two large tanks were the original ones installed in 1940, and the smaller one was added when unleaded came out around 1974. We used one of the big ones for unleaded after that point, and then used the smaller one for leaded Sky Chief, which we stopped selling altogether around 1978. There was a fourth tank we used to dump waste motor oil, and I don't think the current owners of the building knew about that tank -- it's probably still buried there.

If memory serves, we had two 12,000 gallon tanks and one smaller one -- 9000, I think. The two large tanks were the original ones installed in 1940, and the smaller one was added when unleaded came out around 1974. We used one of the big ones for unleaded after that point, and then used the smaller one for leaded Sky Chief, which we stopped selling altogether around 1978. There was a fourth tank we used to dump waste motor oil, and I don't think the current owners of the building knew about that tank -- it's probably still buried there.
Thanks. I guess I had a misconception tanks we're smaller "back then." When I was doing environmental work (1980s), 10-12,000 gallons was still pretty common.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925