Old gas stations

Discussion in 'The Golden Era' started by hatguy1, Nov 26, 2013.

1. David Conwill

David Conwill Call Me a Cab

Yup. My '61 Falcon had a Rusteze bumper sticker (it needed it) and my '62 had a Dinoco oil-filter cover.

13041293_10210146863533189_7819393402985378849_o.jpg

2. Ghostsoldier

Ghostsoldier Call Me a Cab

Speaking of '62s (and off-topic), here's a photo of mine....[​IMG]

Rob

Shibumi, dh66, David Conwill and 2 others like this.
  3. Ghostsoldier

Saw this on a recent back-roads trip...[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Rob

Frunobulax, dh66, Fading Fast and 2 others like this.
  4. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

Rare example there of the very first internally-lit molded plastic sign -- Shell introduced those in 1948, and it changed the face of roadside advertising forever.

5. Ghostsoldier

You'd think he'd take it down and preserve it, but I guess not.

Rob

tonyb and Zombie_61 like this.
  6. Fading Fast

Fading Fast

Maybe for the more efficient / cheaper, but not for the aesthetically better.

7. tonyb

tonyb Vendor

I once had a ’62 two-door Falcon wagon. It’s among the cars I regret ever selling.
    How long has this one been in your care?

Zombie_61 and Ghostsoldier like this.
  8. tonyb

tonyb Vendor

If I was in the neighborhood, I’d attempt to find the property owner and make a cash offer on the sign, while there’s still enough of it left to preserve.

But then, I respect that some people prefer to let nature take its course, sorta like those totem poles in what is now British Columbia and the Alaska panhandle, which were meant to gradually, gradually return to the earth from whence they came.

When my brother died suddenly and unexpectedly a dozen years ago, his widow left his Dodge van right where he parked it the night before he kicked the bucket, under the cherry tree, which for the next several years dropped leaves and fruit on it and did its part to return it to nature.

So yeah, I clearly understand how some folks find “pickers” annoying. A piece of a person’s heart isn’t for sale, and disregarding emotional attachments to such objects is something of a moral failing.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    dh66 and Ghostsoldier like this.
  9. Ghostsoldier

Tony, I've had it going on 20 or so years; it belonged to my wife's dad, and I'm the third owner.

We added a hi-po 302 V-8 from a 1972 Grabber Maverick, an 8" rear end and disc brakes from a 1977 Grenada, and a completely new Mustang front suspension; plus we lowered it and shaved the door handles to make it our "Ratwagon".

It was a father-son project that I used to teach my oldest son mechanics, and it was a rewarding experience.

Rob

Zombie_61 and tonyb like this.
  10. tonyb

tonyb Vendor

^^^^^
    The Maverick, as I recall, was essentially a Falcon in new clothes.

Three Falcons passed my way back when they were just used cars — the green ’62 two-door wagon I alluded to above; a kinda copper-colored ’65 two-door in the “new” body style; and an early body (I forget the model year) off-white four-door I frequently stole from one of my brothers.

My memories of those cars, with the exception of the wagon, are not entirely pleasant. But hey! they got me where I was going.

Ghostsoldier, dh66 and Zombie_61 like this.
  11. Ghostsoldier

I've got a '65 Mercury Comet with a small block sitting in my brother in law's back yard I need to go get, as he's tired of mowing around it, but it's halfway up the state of Georgia and I don't feel like working out the logistics of getting it back down here to Florida.

That, and I've already got too many projects that I haven't finished yet, lol.

Rob

tonyb and Zombie_61 like this.
  12. tonyb

tonyb Vendor

A guy who lived up the street from me for close to 20 years in our old close-in city neighborhood had a real weakness for Comets. He had three or four or more of the things at any given time and off-street parking for only two, so he was always shuffling the ones that slept on the street so as not to get ticketed for leaving cars parked for longer than however many hours were allowed — 72 of ’em, I think it was.

I loved that guy. He preferred a yard full of “native” plantings over grass, made outdoor art from found objects (the bowling ball installation was among the more memorable) and was a perpetual thorn in the side to the newcomers bent on “improving” the district.

13. Ghostsoldier

Sinclair at the 1964 World's Fair...the orbiting gas station is the coolest. :)

Rob

14. Sparta, Missouri.

Youngblood_Sparta_1.jpg

Youngblood_Sparta_2.jpg

Youngblood_Sparta_3.JPG

3fingers, dh66, Zombie_61 and 3 others like this.
  15. Ghostsoldier

Various.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Rob

3fingers, dh66, Zombie_61 and 2 others like this.
  16. Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri.

dog_patch_lake_ozark.jpg

gas_station_lake_ozark.jpg

17. Ghostsoldier

When I hear "Dogpatch", I think of Li'l Abner (and Daisy Mae and Moonbeam McSwine, lol).

Rob

Frunobulax and Zombie_61 like this.
  18. 3fingers

3fingers One Too Many

I was Marryin' Sam in our high school production of Li'l Abner. Them's all kinfolk of mine. :D

Zombie_61 and Ghostsoldier like this.
  19. Ghostsoldier

Various.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Rob

20. 3fingers

3fingers One Too Many

FB_IMG_1567350334639.jpg FB_IMG_1567272712614.jpg
    These two stations were both in the country outside my hometown.
    Both also had cafes and the bottom one had cabins behind. I remember both, but the cabins were no longer open by my time. The lower one's owner also had the reputation of being the guy who knew where to find anything you were looking for.