Old gas stations

Discussion in 'The Golden Era' started by hatguy1, Nov 26, 2013.

1. That's what she said.

[​IMG]

I think what you're seeing is either the tiles covering the corner of that wall where the opening is, or it's part of the young lady's sash (hanging below the knot). Either way, it's lined up almost perfectly with the end of the nozzle she's holding creating the illusion.

Fading Fast likes this.
  2. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

Hey, it's only a buck. What's to lose?

Zombie_61, Bushman and BobHufford like this.
  3. Turnip

Turnip One Too Many

One of the oldest Autobahn gas stations in Germany, opened 1938, closed business in 2005 and been replaced by a modern facility, constructional monument so still getting maintained. Already had a guest room with 30 places when opening.

[​IMG]

Cheers

Turnip

tonyb and BobHufford like this.
  4. Bushman

Bushman My Mail is Forwarded Here

5. Yeah, that "Buyer will need to transport" thing is a dealbreaker for me too.

Bushman likes this.
  6. ^^^^^ It's bolted together and the highest offer so far is $4000. Bring your Liquid Wrench (and maybe a torch) with you.

Zombie_61 and Frunobulax like this.
  7. Near Boonville, Missouri (or it was).

8. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

I pirated the image, so I know nothing about it, really. Although I am old enough to remember scenes such as this. And I’m old enough to have been a pump jockey myself. Didn't have a uniform, though.
    Check yer oil, Ma’am? Let me wash that windshield for ya.

FF9D6F5E-4D66-4377-9823-C49319C5CB64.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  9. "Fred Mason built his station at Paris Springs, Missouri in 1930, and named it Gay Parita after his wife. “Parita” means equal, and Fred and Gay were equal partners. Gay died in 1953 and Fred carried on without her until the station burned down in 1955. Fred never rebuilt and retired to the couple’s beautiful fieldstone dream home on the property. He died in 1960.
    Gary Turner and his son Fred constructed a replica Sinclair station here in 2007 and Gary became a much loved Route 66 ambassador.
    The Route 66 community lost Gary pm January 22, 2015. But his daughter, Barbara Turner Barnes and her husband George carry on Garry's legacy." -- Route 66 Mother Road Postcards and more

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bamaboots, tonyb, seres and 4 others like this.
  10. Sparta, Missouri.

[​IMG]

Bamaboots, Bushman, Zombie_61 and 3 others like this.
  11. Nixa, Missouri (hometown of "Jason Bourne").

[​IMG]

12. The winds of change are steady in Bado, Missouri.

[​IMG]

Bushman, Zombie_61, dh66 and 4 others like this.
  13. St. James, Missouri.

[​IMG]

14. I think I've posted this one before, but I like this view.

[​IMG]

December 23, 1930 – The newly paved Route 66 at Devils Elbow, Missouri was opened to traffic. Concrete was not used because at that time, a dam was planned at Arlington that would have inundated the community. To this day, the concrete and curbing begin after the road on the west side reaches the elevation where the shore would be had the damn been built.

Bushman, Zombie_61, Woodtroll and 2 others like this.
  15. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

Snazzy hellfire effect on the building there. It'd be even better if the attendants wore devil suits.

Zombie_61, BobHufford and dh66 like this.
  16. More pics of "Devils Elbow":

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It burned in 1974.

17. Fading Fast

Fading Fast

Can't imagine that irony was lost on anyone.

Bushman, Zombie_61 and BobHufford like this.